MMS Not Working on Some Carriers on Poco M3

sdet0

Members
Aug 1, 2018
Howdy folks,

I have a problem where incoming and outgoing MMS do not work - I eventually get an error saying that it cannot send. Yes, I have triple checked the APN settings for my carrier (Optus) and they are correct. I am able to use MMS on the same SIM and same APN settings using a different handset without any problems.

What is interesting though is that MMS works OK if I use Aldi Mobile (Telstra). The only difference I can see is that the Optus MMS APN is split into an "Internet" and "MMS" APN, whilst Aldi Mobile only has the one APN.

I am using the Poco M3 with Xiaomi.eu 12.0.4.0. I have just checked and I get the same issue with the official global and EU ROMs as well.

Any ideas? I am going a bit crazy over this issue.

Hi I have the same problem with my POCO M3. Try to find a solution, as you i check et recheck APN/MMS/Sim configuration.
Thing is when I turn on the data the MMS are out and incomming. BUT, how to make this automatic ? I have a notification opn the phone saying : clic here to send MMS when data aren't on, but nothing's happen !

Yep, I have exactly the same problem. MMS messages cannot be sent via the Optus network (I use Amaysim), yet I too tried an Aldi Mobile SIM and it successfully sent MMS without any dramas.

When I discovered this problem I spoke to Amaysim they went through all the reconfiguring resetting and reprovisioning and whatnot, including manually resetting the APNs but the result stayed the same. Basically in the end they couldn't help resolve the problem.

I updated the MIUI to the latest as someone in another forum mentioned that fixed their problem with their phone, although it wasn't a POCO M3. But alas, that didn't make any difference either.

We're not alone with this issue, it seems it's a problem with a variety of different Xiaomi mobile phones, seemingly only new phones from 2020. I have a Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro, and I have no problems with sending MMS messages over the Optus network.

Have a read of this forum thread and you'll see others struggling with the same issue...

I contacted service.global@xiaomi.com and explained everything to them and they simply replied with a copy and paste answer. Below is their initial response;

We at Xiaomi value your trust and we apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured that we'll assist you on this.

1. Whether SMS receiving function is normal or whether the SMS center number is correct (the telecom version does not need to set the SMS center number).

2. Turn on the “always receive MMS option” ("system Settings" > > "all Settings" > > "Mobile Network" > > "always accept MMS");

3. Ask the operator whether Internet service is activated (customer service should pay attention to the difference between the "mobile Internet" business and the "monthly package". "Mobile Internet access" is a basic business, and generally does not charge.

4. MMS transmission must have the "mobile Internet" function in order to send successfully, but it will not charge traffic fees. Operators charge according to the number of messages.

5. Whether the selected attachment is too large. Operators generally have strict size restrictions on the pictures sent by MMS. Inquire the operators for details.

6. Try to replace SIM card of a different operator card and try again.

7. Try back up the data and restore the phone to factory settings, and try to send again.

If any other concerns arise. please don't hesitate to contact us again.

--------------------------------------------------

This was my reply, citing each point;

I do not understand what you are saying in Point 1. SMS messages can be sent and received without any problem at all, SMS messages work successfully.

In point number 2 you state “Turn on the “always receive MMS option” ("system Settings" > > "all Settings" > > "Mobile Network" > > "always accept MMS"”

I went through the settings on the POCO M3 and they do not exist, there are no such settings as "all Settings" > > "Mobile Network" > > "always accept MMS"

I’ve attached screenshots to demonstrate what settings are actually available. Can you please explain if the "always accept MMS" setting is available on this phone with the information I sent you.

I do not understand Point 3.

Point 4. - I have tested that the phone has internet access using the mobile data only, with the wifi switched off, and I can access the internet without any problem.
Point 5. - I have checked that and confirmed that this is not the issue

Point 6. As I mentioned in my original enquiry the SIM in a Redmi Note 8 Pro, which is on the same Optus network can send and receive MMS message without any problem. I tried that same SIM, from the Redmi Note 8 Pro, in the POCO M3 and it has the same issue, no MMS messages can be sent or received.

If the same SIM works in one phone on the same network, but does not work in the POCO M3 then this indicates a problem with the phone, not the SIM or the carrier.

The MIUI version in the Redmi Note 8 Pro is MIUI Global 12.0.6 Stable, 12.0.6.0(QGGMIXM)
The Android version is 10 QP1A190711.020

The MIUI version in the POCO M3 is MIUI Global 12.0.6 Stable, 12.0.6.0(QJFEUXM)
The Android version is 10 QKQ1.200830.002

Point 7. I have done a factory reset on the phone and it did not make any difference. I even cleared the system cache and tried again, but still it made no difference. I cannot send or receive MMS messages.

Can you please offer any other suggestions to enable MMS?

Then I received their last reply;

We at Xiaomi value your trust and we apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured that we'll assist you on this.

I would like to inform you that we have guided you with all the possible troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. However, if the issue persists, it might be hardware failure. Hence, I would request you to go to the service centre along with the invoice. Please also kindly coordinate with the point of purchase for better assistance. You can find the address of the service centre by referring to the link https://www.mi.com/global/service/warranty/. This warranty will not cover any human damage (physical or liquid damage) encountered on it.

We would appreciate your patience and understanding.

If other concerns arise, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks again for contacting Xiaomi. Keep safe.

Yeah, thanks for bloody nothing Xiaomi!

I have only recently tried the Aldi SIM, after their last email, so now I'm about to send them an update. I wish to point out to them that there is clearly nothing wrong with the hardware, it is quite obviously a software issue. I doubt very much they will offer any insights and will just come back with another copy and paste reply :p

If I do get a positive result I'll post a follow on, if I don't, I won't :p

thx for your very complet repport, i think i will unlock the bootlock to have the community stable rom.

So i look around on the internet, and it seems that the google app "messenge" is not able to send MMS without activating data. I try with Yataa and it works fine.

Last edited:
Following on from my post above, I received a reply from Xiaomi Global Service on the 5th of Feb;

"Greetings from Xiaomi.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I will record this as your feedback and surely will share your valuable feedback with our concerned authorities.

We would appreciate your patience and understanding.

If other concerns arise, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks again for contacting Xiaomi.

Keep safe."

So, as I suspected, they do not know what the problem is and will most likely stay that way. For such a small market as Australia I doubt that they will even bother about it :p

In the meantime only MMS can be sent via Facebook Messenger, which is fine, it's my Mother's phone and the people she sends and receives MMS messages with all use Facebook :p

This same discussion is going in an Ozbargain forum and someone on there received a bit more info regarding this from Panmi...

"Thank you for contacting Panmi.

We have received a number of reports on the MMS issue with Optus for China version or Global/EU version Mi phones. As POCO F2 is not released in Australia and it has not been fully tested to work here.

This problem is not yet reported from users with the Australian version of Mi phones.

Xiaomi is currently investigating this issue."

I have a Xiaomi Mi Redmi Note 8 Pro with an Australian ROM and I'm having no issues at all. Interestingly though, before the 8 Pro I had a Xiaomi Mi Redmi Note 5 with a Global ROM, and I had no issues with it whatsoever.

Someone else in the Ozbargain forum said they solved the problem with their POCO X3 by disablingthe chat features, and he says he can send and receive all messages now.

"I turned off the chat features and my POCO X3 now receives messages, all of them.

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat"

Tried that on the POCO M3 and it made no difference, still can't send MMS >:|

As I wrote, Message can't send MMS without activating DATA. So Try with Yataa, and post the result.

As I wrote, Message can't send MMS without activating DATA. So Try with Yataa, and post the result.

Downloaded Yataa. On 4G with data enabled. No difference. MMS will not send or receive on my Optus SIM. No problem on a Telstra SIM. MMS is working with my Optus SIM in my Poco F1 running LineageOS 17.1.

since I finally succeed at unlocking bootloader, install twrp "with a little help from my friends", install last beta stable, everything is working fine : MMS come and go as usual...

since I finally succeed at unlocking bootloader, install twrp "with a little help from my friends", install last beta stable, everything is working fine : MMS come and go as usual...

Unless you got it working on Optus MMS, then that won't fix anything.

Read the entire thread, Optus is an Australian carrier that uses a split APN - one for data, one for MMS. This configuration does not work on the Poco M3
ok thx for the explanation . I'm in France with Free (french phone and internet provider) and everything works fine. This gives me to think that the phone works fine, but not with every carrier ? Did you unlock the bootloader ?

Quick update! This is still not working, even on Android 11 ROMs, or custom AOSP ROMs.

If you need Optus MMS, you need to either switch carriers or change phones. There are no other alternatives, unless you can work out the issue in the source code for the baseband or whatever firmware is breaking this in the first place. Really really frustrated with this result.

Quick update! This is still not working, even on Android 11 ROMs, or custom AOSP ROMs.

If you need Optus MMS, you need to either switch carriers or change phones. There are no other alternatives, unless you can work out the issue in the source code for the baseband or whatever firmware is breaking this in the first place. Really really frustrated with this result.
Hey, sorry to hear that !

I got the same issue.
It seems working fine after made the changes below:
1. APN -> Optus MMS
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6 -> IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 -> IPv4
2. APN -> Optus Yes Internet | yesinternet
APN type: deault, supl
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6 -> IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 -> IPv4

Mine is Xiaomi Poco F3, MINU Global 12.5.4 Stable.
Can send and receive mms now with no problems.
Happy that no need to use my old phone to send mms any more.

Reactions: fgurdradee
The Poco F3 has fixes in firmware - as far as I am aware, the Poco M3 has not received any fixes yet.

Fixed my Telstra MMS issue by uninstalling Google Messages and using system app Messaging