New New Mi 8 (dipper) MIUI10 8.7.12 GPS loses lock

stephenju

Members
Jul 7, 2018
GPS seems to only work for a while after each reboot. It typically works on my morning commute. But won't be able to lock and get a position on my afternoon commute. The dot in Google Maps will show in grey color instead of blue. Reboot seems to bring it back.

Same issue, MI 8 MIUI10(xiaomi.eu) 8.7.12. GPS sometimes can't lock position when using Google maps or Waze. Phone restart helps

My phone has this issue as well. This seems to be a core miui issue since it occurs on the Chinese roms (including miui 9) too.

My dipper on china 8.7.12 (and 8.7.19 now) doesn't have the issue
however the GPS takes a long time to scan for satellites

GPS issue seems to be not hardware based had it on gemini and now on dipper also.
Are there special configurations with the xiaomi.eu ROM?
After reboot GPS works for a while.

Issue was also on MIUI 9

GPS Status app is searching GPS position for endless.

Greetings from germany!

Same problem here, Stock ROM MiUI 9.5 on the Xiaumi Mi8, loses GPS completly after a while. Only reboot helps, temporary.
Updated to to MiUI10 8.7.26, but still the same issue...

Greetings from germany!

Same problem here, Stock ROM MiUI 9.5 on the Xiaumi Mi8, loses GPS completly after a while. Only reboot helps, temporary.
Updated to to MiUI10 8.7.26, but still the same issue...

issue wasn't anymore on MIUI10 8.7.26!

issue wasn't anymore on MIUI10 8.7.26!
GPS needs phone restart to reactivate, as sometimes BT too (if you go to plane mode it won't reactivate). These two bugs have been reported on many threads for Mi8. Let's hope 8.8.2 fixes them

I hope this issue is fixed soon. I orderd the "flagship phone" from xiaumi. Not very good to see that basic functions like GPS (and Bluetooth) are not working correctly as on my Moto G5 from 2016 :-(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-03-09-25-40-755_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-03-09-25-40-755_com.android.settings.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 360
@Patit
Thats my problem. Its working, but only for 30 minutes or so. Then, GPS stops working completly. Only reboot gets it working again...
I ordered a new SIM card, i have a very old one. Maybe thats the problem.

@Patit
Thats my problem. Its working, but only for 30 minutes or so. Then, GPS stops working completly. Only reboot gets it working again...
I ordered a new SIM card, i have a very old one. Maybe thats the problem.
I dont' think it's SIM related.

I'll give it a try. Another strange thing is, when the GPS is dead and i tap reboot, the phone dosen't reboot. It shuts down and i have to push the power button 8-10 seconds to start the phone...

I'll give it a try. Another strange thing is, when the GPS is dead and i tap reboot, the phone dosen't reboot. It shuts down and i have to push the power button 8-10 seconds to start the phone...
It's another bug. I have the same behaviour

I didn't say it doesn't work. It stops working after a few hours and needs a reboot to reactivate, even on 8.7.26

Phone is still running 6 days without reboot.
Activate plane mode also.
Position lock is still possible.

Phone is still running 6 days without reboot.
Activate plane mode also.
Position lock is still possible.
Plane mode test is for Bluetooth bug, not GPS. Maybe your phone is not affected after all

At the moment it seems to work. I disabled a option in battery settings ("Nicht interaktiver Modus" in german). It says that MIUI will disable some stuff if it detects that im not using my phone. Maybe it disables the GPS and it can't be reenabled, only with a reboot?!

Use App GPS Test
3 dots -> AGPS -> Clear and Update

i also did this:
under battary settings
choose aps
"3dots upper left corner" show system apps
"Google Play Store" -> no restrictions

das habe ich auch gemacht:
unter Akku & Leistung
Apps auswählen
"3 Punkte oben rechte Ecke" System Apps anzeigen
"Google Play Store" -> Keine Beschränkungen

Last edited:
At the moment it seems to work. I disabled a option in battery settings ("Nicht interaktiver Modus" in german). It says that MIUI will disable some stuff if it detects that im not using my phone. Maybe it disables the GPS and it can't be reenabled, only with a reboot?!

Use App GPS Test
3 dots -> AGPS -> Clear and Update

i also did this:
under battary settings
choose aps
"3dots upper left corner" show system apps
"Google Play Store" -> no restrictions

das habe ich auch gemacht:
unter Akku & Leistung
Apps auswählen
"3 Punkte oben rechte Ecke" System Apps anzeigen
"Google Play Store" -> Keine Beschränkungen
Hello, I've just tried your method. Is it still working after several days ?