Xiaomi New Miui Theme Policy - Effective From May 1, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pele

Hi MIUI-ers,

• Important notice from Xiaomi
As more and more themes become developed for MIUI, we need to further ensure the copyrights of the designers to continue an environment conducive to both MIUI and the designers. Furthermore, as we are working on a platform to allow international designers to get paid for their theme designs, this new policy will help to protect the designer's design and instigate more quality themes . To do so, MIUI has decided to change some of the theme policies.

Please note, as of May 1st, the following policy will be fully enforced: All MIUI themes and theme components, in mtz file format, will need to be uploaded onto the MIUI themes (upload via designer.xiaomi.com). Any MIUI theme and theme components (i.e. download from forums, websites or other sources) that does not get uploaded into the MIUI theme apk, can no longer be applied onto the MIUI ROM. To specify, components in an mtz file format can include:

- Theme
- Lockscreen
- Icon
- Font
- Boot animation

If you are a designer and have current themes you want to share after May 1st please sign up for a designer.xiaomi.com account and upload your themes to the MIUI Themes apk.

Reactions: Mish
Not bad news, well sort of.

But there has been alot of kanging of themes lately, there are a lot of theme developers who try to take someones work and pass it off as there own.

Bad news is that all the themes that are not in the theme manager will now have to be pushed to the theme manager = more work for theme devs lol

Another boom from xiaomi.. pff.. I though they have done so at first.
btw, hello guys :p Just got back and realised miui 5 is done for arc, tested it (even got xiaomi account [which is not for chinese only, woohoo!]), seems like they got me love it again, so besides of this I'm kinda fun here. Thx miuiandroid not giving up till now, hope xiaomi will change a bit to not being like apple..

Same crap as in 2012. No themes from SD-card. Now again. I ranted at the MIUI fB page, at the en.miui.com forum and at miui-germany (to let folks know). I guess the miuiandroid.com guys will serve a good hack for the theme manager then? I hope so.
Damn it, just ordered my Mi-1S and wanted to start making more icon theme standalone ports of iOS themes.
I hope there will be a shitstorm coming towards xiaomi.

Hmm, I don't like that as I mostly use themes downloaded from XDA. Will I still be able to change icons in 'official' mtz themes (using 7zip)?

We started a miui theme hack awhile back then stopped. I wonder how close it was...

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

RSA Signature checks look to be getting enforced if the news is to be read accurately.

It's a good move to stop copying but how effective it will be remains to be seen.

It's a good move to stop copying but how effective it will be remains to be seen.

Aw'right, that's the good for sure... but... the main question is still there: HOW TO TEST THE DAMN THEME now (while it's being created)?

I think this is a good thing, any open source will need regulations at a certain time.
As Pele mentions there are loads of themes getting pushed out everyday, I think it's fair to say that not all of those bare the same quality.

Any news about developing a control panel for miui v5 as i saw that miui australia has stopped the project :) just wondering and i dont mean for any cat to die.... so if any cat dies know its not my fault :D

Any news about developing a control panel for miui v5 as i saw that miui australia has stopped the project :) just wondering and i dont mean for any cat to die.... so if any cat dies know its not my fault :D

No news as yet but im sure someone will have that running on v5 in no time.

Reactions: Ekramoz
About the MIUI Theme Policy Changes :

We still have until 1st of May, im guessing Xiaomi are monitoring the feedback from MIUI users GLOBALLY, so over the next few weeks im sure finer details will emerge. So don't panic!

Only panic if we do :D

We will do our best to look after MIUI Fans as always.

If we panic, the world can panic.

If we are calm, world is calm.

If we loose the forest, everyone is on their own.

Is it only, especially for me... or most of that designer.xiaomi.com webpage is still in Chinese?
BTW: I do not panic. :D

Anyway... I have an impression, that new v5 Themes will not be free-of-charge...

I stopped developing themes for MIUI because people kept stealing elements or even full components (e.g. lockscreen) without asking. This is a good move, though I fail to see how it is going to be enforced.

I stopped developing themes for MIUI because people kept stealing elements or even full components (e.g. lockscreen) without asking. This is a good move, though I fail to see how it is going to be enforced.

yes ive been a victim also.... id like to see the fine print though...

I don't mind the new policy if it helps developers. I just hope they figure a way to allow international users to buy MiCredits. As of now there are a few themes I would love to buy. But I'm not from China and not sure if there is currently a way to get MiCredits

:(
If this new policy is implemented and nobody will patch or hack the theme manager all the official fan sites' sub-forums "themes" will slowly die I guess.

Like someone said, this is just that stuff hitting the fan. Although MIUI is in my opinion the best ROM available I think this bad... I think that it is just ridigilous to say that someone steals components or elements. Isn't the whole idea based on openness, giving something back to community? You create something and if you go public, you agree and allow others to use it. That's just the spirit of this openness. Specially when the ROM gui itself is more or less copied IOS. Like this site also does the marketing, MIUI has 10 million users, are devs and themers really worried that majority of that number of people will try to benefit from others work as above is suggested? I see that it's more likely that only 1% of that 10 million MIUI'ers is capable to do something with the themes.
Due to the openness I felt that donation method was good way to support themers and by that way allow them to "earn" on the platform called MIUI. That should be enough considering that MIUI itself is free. Is people just getting greedy or what? Making themselves so important over few png's? If that's the case I wish I could pull back all my donations.

I got into theming because I did not like that bright white theme of MIUI v4. By browsing hundreds of forums and trying tens of themes I had to do my own, because out of the themes I found, 95% were just pure crap. Sorry. I made my theme partly creating and partly "stealing" files. I also gave a year's work for free use. No whining about it.

All this and the fact that I should be sending my bank account details, name, preferably copy of ID card, my photo and phone number and God knows what, and for what purpose, to some unknown people on the other side of the world makes me think that one fooking theme is just not worth all the risks to be taken. Not even if earned few credits. With eyes open I'm looking for other options for daily ROM. This excessive protection is first step towards closed environment and fights against the basic idea.

This is just voice of one MIUI fan and has no effect on anything, this fan will get away from THE fan before the storm gets heavier. Thks anyway.

Reactions: Pele and ubelai
Like someone said, this is just that stuff hitting the fan. Although MIUI is in my opinion the best ROM available I think this bad... I think that it is just ridigilous to say that someone steals components or elements. Isn't the whole idea based on openness, giving something back to community? You create something and if you go public, you agree and allow others to use it. That's just the spirit of this openness. Specially when the ROM gui itself is more or less copied IOS. Like this site also does the marketing, MIUI has 10 million users, are devs and themers really worried that majority of that number of people will try to benefit from others work as above is suggested? I see that it's more likely that only 1% of that 10 million MIUI'ers is capable to do something with the themes.
Due to the openness I felt that donation method was good way to support themers and by that way allow them to "earn" on the platform called MIUI. That should be enough considering that MIUI itself is free. Is people just getting greedy or what? Making themselves so important over few png's? If that's the case I wish I could pull back all my donations.

I got into theming because I did not like that bright white theme of MIUI v4. By browsing hundreds of forums and trying tens of themes I had to do my own, because out of the themes I found, 95% were just pure crap. Sorry. I made my theme partly creating and partly "stealing" files. I also gave a year's work for free use. No whining about it.

All this and the fact that I should be sending my bank account details, name, preferably copy of ID card, my photo and phone number and God knows what, and for what purpose, to some unknown people on the other side of the world makes me think that one fooking theme is just not worth all the risks to be taken. Not even if earned few credits. With eyes open I'm looking for other options for daily ROM. This excessive protection is first step towards closed environment and fights against the basic idea.

This is just voice of one MIUI fan and has no effect on anything, this fan will get away from THE fan before the storm gets heavier. Thks anyway.

Those where great words. I think I didn't realise the last moves from MIUI team before purchasing my MI-2S. I have always apreciated openness and been greatfull for others work. Don't see why this company should stay in the middle

Those where great words. I think I didn't realise the last moves from MIUI team before purchasing my MI-2S. I have always apreciated openness and been greatfull for others work. Don't see why this company should stay in the middle

Amen.

I find it pretty ridiculous about the miniscularity in choice MIUI have chosen for their users.
The limitations are comparable to iOS, and what's bonkers is the fact that it's based on Android/Cyanogen, yet they completely cut off and make their own rules within.

Status
Not open for further replies.