Invalid No it doesn't - Latest version seems to break FBE

• Thread starter Deleted member 226200
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 226200

I've been using the xiaomi.eu rom on my Mi Mix 2S with FBE enabled for the last month.
I managed to enable it by editing the /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom file, and manually copying it back every time I updated the ROM.
Until 9.1.17, FBE was working normally. Every time I rebooted to TWRP, it would ask for my unlock pattern, and then it would take around 10 seconds decrypting the partition. But after updating to 9.1.24, it doesn't ask for a password anymore and doesn't even log about decrypting the partition, which makes me assume FBE doesn't work anymore.
This happens both when updating from the older version, or when doing a clean install. The security settings do show the device is encrypted though

EDIT: ok the issue about TWRP not asking for a password was caused by an outdated recovery, and after updating it does ask for the pattern, but still, even if I dismiss the password prompt and access the recovery "not decrypted", I can still see my folder and file names inside the sdcard, while previously they were all random strings when decryptedù

The issue was caused by the recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the xiaomi.eu rom on my Mi Mix 2S with FBE enabled for the last month.
I managed to enable it by editing the /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom file, and manually copying it back every time I updated the ROM.
Until 9.1.17, FBE was working normally. Every time I rebooted to TWRP, it would ask for my unlock pattern, and then it would take around 10 seconds decrypting the partition. But after updating to 9.1.24, it doesn't ask for a password anymore and doesn't even log about decrypting the partition, which makes me assume FBE doesn't work anymore.
This happens both when updating from the older version, or when doing a clean install. The security settings do show the device is encrypted though

EDIT: ok the issue about TWRP not asking for a password was caused by an outdated recovery, and after updating it does ask for the pattern, but still, even if I dismiss the password prompt and access the recovery "not decrypted", I can still see my folder and file names inside the sdcard, while previously they were all random strings when decrypted
That's simply because you are and were not encrypted at any time. Check the Fstab status and re proceed.
No issue from my side with this procedure and latest rom.

That's simply because you are and were not encrypted at any time. Check the Fstab status and re proceed.
No issue from my side with this procedure and latest rom.
Is there any way to re-encrypt my data without wiping?

I really don't know and I don't want to lead you in wrong way!
Have backup as much you can, now!
I formatted the data partition from TWRP, then re flashed the ROM and re enabled FBE and it now works.
Thank you for your help

Reactions: LOLO9393
I formatted the data partition from TWRP, then re flashed the ROM and re enabled FBE and it now works.
Thank you for your help
Great and thanks for your feedback. (that's not so common here!!)

For your information I have tested, a so call permanent solution , with success on my MI5.
But Little detail:
we can't be sure it will be ok on our latest phone because we don't have the official stable DEv available yet. I say the one complying with twrp 1227! and tested before...
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...permanently-in-an-easy-way.48895/#post-469648

Last edited:
Great and thanks for your feedback. (that's not so common here!!)

For your information I have tested, a so call permanent solution , with success on my MI5.
But Little detail:
we can't be sure it will be ok on our latest phone because we don't have the official stable DEv available yet. I say the one complying with twrp 1227! and tested before...
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...permanently-in-an-easy-way.48895/#post-469648
Idk, I'm too lazy to wipe and reinstall everything again (already did it twice), I guess I'll just keep going with replacing fstab.qcom every time I update.
Of course I'd just wish xiaomi.eu would support enabling FBE in a more elegant way, but until then, that's the only option

Reactions: LOLO9393