New Permission Manager doesn't work after full wipe

Philip Petev

Members
Dec 12, 2013
RedMi 1S WCDMA, MIUI stable 29.0.0 and 31.0.0
When you install any of these two version and make a full wipe via recovery, all apps get full unconditional root access, regardless the position of the root access switch at the Permissions page. The root access list is also empty.
Tried the following scenario: restored 24 china via fastboot, then installed 24.0.0 multi with Updater and after that 29.0.0 multi and 31.0.0 multi accordingly. My lab rat was the BatteryCalibration app. The root access was set to off. Prior to the 29.0.0 installation, the app asked for root access. After the 29.0.0 installation, the app had already unconditional root access. Same thing happened after the 31.0.0 installation. I haven't touches the Permission app nor fully wiped the phone after each installation.

A little correction: it's not the wipe, it's the rom. The above behavior can be seen on update from any version to 29.0.0 and higher, with or without wipe. There is something clearly wrong in the latest two stable multi roms.

Just for the record: the bug is still present in the latest stable multi version 34. Guys, this ROM is obviously done wrong, because the bug is present in already three stable(???) multi versions and still there's nothing done about it !!!

Last edited:
Version 36.0.0 has the same unconditional root access, regardless the root switch's position.

GYUS, WHAT THE HELL YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? DO YOU HAVE ANY INTENTION TO FIX IT?

Last edited:
I think I've solved the unconditional root mystery. I've investigated the problem and it seems it's the su binary, included in the rom, which doesn't seems to be fully compatible with the MIUI's root access framework. I've replaced it with the su binary, provided by the root package from this thread (update.zip) and voila, it works. No more unconditional root access and the root permission list works again.
The solution for this problem will be to replace the su binary in your code base with the su binary from the zip. Obviously, there's a reason to be used the su version, provided by that package and not any newer.

Last edited: