Question for the developers about MTK devices

Catani84

Members
Apr 6, 2018
Hello everyone. Not to sound like a broken record...but I want to ask the developers if after all these years , considering the way the industry and most important how Xiaomi decided to move forward they might have a change of heart on the MTK issue. Seeing as Mediatek has become the biggest supplier on the market and how their SoC's have increasingly getting better and more high quality, and considering a lot of manufacturers and especially Xiaomi has decided to use them more and more and as of lately use them in their flagship devices also, maybe you guys could do as a favour and start supporting them also. The list of Xiaomi phones using MTK Soc's is getting higher and a big chunk of the xiaomi.eu family is being left out. I'll be honest here, like many people on this forum, I've been using a Xiaomi phone ever since I bought my first Mi 4...bust most importantly I've used them exclusively with the Xiaomi.eu rom because stock roms are such a different experience. For example , i'm considering buying a K50 for my next upgrade but I'm seriously hindered by the fact that most definitely it will not be supported by xiaomi.eu. So, here's my plea to you guys...You're an amazing team of talented developers with the ability and know how to make this work. Please give it a thought and let all of "outsiders" join the xiaomi.eu family. Thanks and have a great day

Getting the time and patience to support Android 9/10/11/12 with MIUI 12/12.5/13 for Snapdragon devices is difficult enough.
What you're asking is to spend X2 the development time (at least), X2 the uploading time and X2 the bandwidth for downloads to support X2 the amount of devices, when Mediatek devices have their own subset of core system apps and need their own handling of device security to allow our ROMs to boot properly.
What you don't know is that we have 1 project leader (who is responsible for translation teams, building and uploading ROMs and other occasional stuff), 1 developer (that's me, I do most of the scripting and coding) and a few testers, all of them are with Snapdragon Xiaomi devices.
How do you even imagine that to be possible?
Saying nice things like "You're an amazing team of talented developers" is not only false (like I said above, there is no whole "team of developers"), but also doesn't pay our bills, the free time we can afford is only enough to support the Snapdragon half of Xiaomi devices.

Getting the time and patience to support Android 9/10/11/12 with MIUI 12/12.5/13 for Snapdragon devices is difficult enough.
What you're asking is to spend X2 the development time (at least), X2 the uploading time and X2 the bandwidth for downloads to support X2 the amount of devices, when Mediatek devices have their own subset of core system apps and need their own handling of device security to allow our ROMs to boot properly.
What you don't know is that we have 1 project leader (who is responsible for translation teams, building and uploading ROMs and other occasional stuff), 1 developer (that's me, I do most of the scripting and coding) and a few testers, all of them are with Snapdragon Xiaomi devices.
How do you even imagine that to be possible?
Saying nice things like "You're an amazing team of talented developers" is not only false (like I said above, there is no whole "team of developers"), but also doesn't pay our bills, the free time we can afford is only enough to support the Snapdragon half of Xiaomi devices.
First of all...thanks for taking the time to reply. Second, you are right...I did not know there were so few of you guys on the team. Hence my initial request. In the past you guys supported way more devices then you do today so I wronfully assumed that it was just a personal choice just to focus on Snapdragon chipsets. Appologies for assuming instead of asking. I had imagined that , as do other custom rom teams do...no need to name them here , there are different guys that support different devices. Usually there was a person who looked after 3...4 devices at a time. That beeing said, no one would dare ask of you to give more time and effort when you're already giving enough, and obviously for free. So, my only hope I guess, remains that maybe one day your team will grow and the opportunity arises for you guys to let other people join. I'm sure there are many willingful and talented people around the EU if not globally that would like to join you. As for the rest of us...I can only thank you for the great work that you're already doing...and have left a donation for a couple of beers. Cheers

So, my only hope I guess, remains that maybe one day your team will grow and the opportunity arises for you guys to let other people join. I'm sure there are many willingful and talented people around the EU if not globally that would like to join you.
Interestingly, I have yet to meet any willing candidates, or any candidates at all, for the past [roughly] 5 years I've been on the team. But one can only hope we'll get lucky some day.

As for the rest of us...I can only thank you for the great work that you're already doing...and have left a donation for a couple of beers. Cheers
That's very nice of you, thank you.

Hey admin!
I got an idea looks bright to me. Wanna share it with you about MTK support.

I think you can ask to community via forum pool about If they like eurom start supporting MTK ecosystem.

After forum voting, If users really like to have a such support (> %80);
What about to start a kickstarter project for about paying expenses for supporting MTK ecosystem?

Might be, MTK fans (like me) willing to put support for such project.
Also you can redirect all MTK lover request to that project as an answer. Which saves a time :)

And If a goal is reached, let say a million dolar budget, than your project have enough resources to pay research time, bills and buy some MTK hw to start the ecosystem. You can also hire some developers to do some nasty jobs with such a good money resource.
In return of supporters, you can give "EUROM MTK Supporter NFT badges" to big supporters at KickStart project... (I probably will make a good support for having such a badge...)

After initial MTK ROM base build support, maintaining MTK ROMs might not that hard since you have already automatized tools to build ROM.
That is my 2¢ about the MTK support.
Thanks.

Reactions: Naxarexx
I think you can ask to community via forum pool about If they like eurom start supporting MTK ecosystem.
We don't have to. We know that MTK support is in demand, considering how many new MTK devices have been released lately.

What about to start a kickstarter project for about paying expenses for supporting MTK ecosystem?
We already considered that option, none of us have the geolocational ability to start a kickstarter on any legit platform. We just literally can't.

The rest is correct but irrelevant since we can't collect any organized funds.

Reactions: E.U.A and JiaiJ
Team, would be awesome to see Redmi 9 (Lancelot) to be added to the list! Its a rather new device but native Miui 13 isn't working properly on it for some odd readon, especially the new widgets, which for some strange are not being reflected on this device, even though its officially eligable for it.... would be great to see Redmi 9 added to the list! :cool:

Team, would be awesome to see Redmi 9 (Lancelot) to be added to the list! Its a rather new device but native Miui 13 isn't working properly on it for some odd readon, especially the new widgets, which for some strange are not being reflected on this device, even though its officially eligable for it.... would be great to see Redmi 9 added to the list! :cool:
1. "Rather new"? That device was released about 2.5 years ago. It's almost game over for that device.
2. We don't plan to support Helio devices, and not even low-end Dimensity devices.
3. The initiative is intended for patrons, not the forum members.