[rom][cm12.1] Last Hope Rom - Best Rom Ever? ;)

i would like you help you developing the rom but the most advanced language that i learnt is visual basic....lol

After upgrading to CM12.1 on this phone, I've been really happy with its look-and-feel and features, but then I stumbled on two issues which I've discovered are common complaints about Lollipop. One is sometimes referred to as the Mobile Radio Active battery drain bug, and another is that after leaving a Wi-Fi network, Lollipop doesn't reconnect to Wi-Fi while asleep (i.e., it only reconnects when the screen is turned on). In the spirit of community, I thought I'd offer the workarounds I've found for these issues:
  1. I installed MobileRadioPwn to work around the Mobile Radio Active battery drain bug. It turns off mobile data when Wi-Fi is connected, and turns it back on when Wi-Fi is disconnected (as well as smartly accounting for Airplane Mode). It doesn't prevent unnecessary battery drain when on mobile data, so it's not a real fix for this issue, but it does prevent extra drain while on Wi-Fi (which I'm usually on).https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidscout.octobot.mobileradiopwn&hl=en
  2. I set up an Automate flow (you could do this with a Tasker task too, I think) which, when Wi-Fi is on but not connected, initiates a network scan for configured networks every couple minutes. I don't know what the impact will be on battery life, but I should think it would be minimal -- after all, KitKat was doing this in the past, wasn't it? Now, when I am near a Wi-Fi network at home or the office, I no longer have to turn on the screen to get the phone connected to Wi-Fi.
I'm now that much less tempted to switch back to KitKat to avoid these issues (especially the mobile radio active battery drain, which is outright shameful -- was Lollipop not really tested before release??!!). Hope this helps someone else out!

Reactions: bugers
After upgrading to CM12.1 on this phone, I've been really happy with its look-and-feel and features, but then I stumbled on two issues which I've discovered are common complaints about Lollipop. One is sometimes referred to as the Mobile Radio Active battery drain bug, and another is that after leaving a Wi-Fi network, Lollipop doesn't reconnect to Wi-Fi while asleep (i.e., it only reconnects when the screen is turned on). In the spirit of community, I thought I'd offer the workarounds I've found for these issues:
  1. I installed MobileRadioPwn to work around the Mobile Radio Active battery drain bug. It turns off mobile data when Wi-Fi is connected, and turns it back on when Wi-Fi is disconnected (as well as smartly accounting for Airplane Mode). It doesn't prevent unnecessary battery drain when on mobile data, so it's not a real fix for this issue, but it does prevent extra drain while on Wi-Fi (which I'm usually on).https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidscout.octobot.mobileradiopwn&hl=en
  2. I set up an Automate flow (you could do this with a Tasker task too, I think) which, when Wi-Fi is on but not connected, initiates a network scan for configured networks every couple minutes. I don't know what the impact will be on battery life, but I should think it would be minimal -- after all, KitKat was doing this in the past, wasn't it? Now, when I am near a Wi-Fi network at home or the office, I no longer have to turn on the screen to get the phone connected to Wi-Fi.
I'm now that much less tempted to switch back to KitKat to avoid these issues (especially the mobile radio active battery drain, which is outright shameful -- was Lollipop not really tested before release??!!). Hope this helps someone else out!

I use Smart Network and Smarter WiFi manager

Reactions: Dizplay
the
  1. I installed MobileRadioPwn to work around the Mobile Radio Active battery drain bug. It turns off mobile data when Wi-Fi is connected, and turns it back on when Wi-Fi is disconnected (as well as smartly accounting for Airplane Mode). It doesn't prevent unnecessary battery drain when on mobile data, so it's not a real fix for this issue, but it does prevent extra drain while on Wi-Fi (which I'm usually on).
problem with mobile radio active bug is depite turning data off it still active so if you turn of wifi and off data battery will drain the same as if you were of data plus the battery used by wifi

the problem with mobile radio active bug is depite turning data off it still active so if you turn of wifi and off data battery will drain the same as if you were of data plus the battery used by wifi
Hmm... I haven't found that to be the case. If I leave data turned on, then Cell Standby is far and away the biggest reported battery drain on my phone, even if I spend most of my day with my phone on Wi-Fi. But if I turn off data whenever connected to Wi-Fi, then the actual battery life appears to be much, much better, and Cell Standby is reported to be using far less of the battery over the course of the day.

I could be mistaken, of course; it might just be a placebo effect. Maybe I need to do a more controlled test comparing with and without this workaround to see how battery life really compares. But so far, it has seemed to me that turning off mobile data really does turn off the mobile radio altogether, helping mitigate the mobile radio active bug.

Mobile Radio Active bug is a hell of a mess. Some people blame it for battery drain, some other say it's only bug in battery stats, but it causes some other issues also. I believe it's the second option, because afaik the battery life didn't get worse on this ROM than MIUI. There is a solution for it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-zl/general/cm12-1-cell-standby-mobile-radio-active-t3188147 In the OP you can find link to Xposed module. Maybe it will solve your problems, maybe it will show you that it is actually something different causing the battery drain and maybe it won't help you at all, but I think it's worh the try.

Reactions: marvollo
Mobile Radio Active bug is a hell of a mess. Some people blame it for battery drain, some other say it's only bug in battery stats, but it causes some other issues also. I believe it's the second option, because afaik the battery life didn't get worse on this ROM than MIUI. There is a solution for it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-zl/general/cm12-1-cell-standby-mobile-radio-active-t3188147 In the OP you can find link to Xposed module. Maybe it will solve your problems, maybe it will show you that it is actually something different causing the battery drain and maybe it won't help you at all, but I think it's worh the try.
yes, these patches works, I and bywwh, pexcn, geekzjj use it in our roms, i consider there is nno other solution for this problem

sorry but i have the module and it only removes the stats from battery...drain is the same the only way is turn off data and on wifi and reboot

wow! @bugers, you are still here! I got my first credit card last monday, little donation for you, sorry for too late. After continuous work three weeks, my weekend finally come back. Downloading the new version right now, thank you for your hard work.

Reactions: marvollo and bugers
@bugers very thank for fix Quadrooter vulnerability, its very important for me to have protected phone

what about more roms from you? a lot of people want to see aosp, or mayble any 6.0 rom?

sndnvaps has problem on his test 6.0 rom with sim and wifi detection (modem isnt detected), and laggy interface, broken camera, etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: bugers
@bugers very thank for fix Quadrooter vulnerability, its very important for me to have protected phone

what about more roms from you? a lot of people want to see aosp, or mayble any 6.0 rom?

sndnvaps has problem on his test 6.0 rom with sim and wifi detection (modem isnt detected), and laggy interface, broken camera, etc...

After flashing rc10.2 it's impossible to get wifi on. I was on rc 6 I think (cm-12.1-20160405) and wifi is working. The only problem I got on my mi2 is that my 3g sim slot is not working anymore (I ruined the connection pin with a microsim adapter). I dunno if this is related to the problem with this new version of the rom (I used both the recovery version in op but nothing changed)

After flashing rc10.2 it's impossible to get wifi on. I was on rc 6 I think (cm-12.1-20160405) and wifi is working. The only problem I got on my mi2 is that my 3g sim slot is not working anymore (I ruined the connection pin with a microsim adapter). I dunno if it is related to the problem with this new version of the rom (I used both the recovery version in op but nothing changed)
try wipe system before flashing, if it didnt help then do full wipe (data and system) then flash rom

No problem, security is important for me too ;)

I've made a CM13 working. It's faster than 12.1, fluid UI, wifi, bt is fine but .... RIL isn't working for our device (Xiaomi and QC proprietary) and It's really annoying to debug it. Maybe you have experience with RIL debugging to help with that?

I think that without working RIL there is no sense to build AOSP 6.0.

Reactions: marvollo

I've made a CM13 working. It's faster than 12.1, fluid UI, wifi, bt is fine but .... RIL isn't working for our device (Xiaomi and QC proprietary) and It's really annoying to debug it. Maybe you have experience with RIL debugging to help with that?

but in ivan's aosp 6.0 ril is working, how can it be? he modified ril but didn't release sources?

i saw mnc-dev (marshmallow) branch on github.com/mitwo-dev in device tree, kernel and vendor

Last edited:

and did you look at the github of the guy who developed the non-working aosp rom?he maybe did something with that....i cant help more as i just learn what ril is

but in ivan's aosp 6.0 ril is working, how can it be? he modified ril but didn't release sources?

i saw mnc-dev (marshmallow) branch on github.com/mitwo-dev in device tree, kernel and vendor

That was my first shot when I saw RIL crash. I don't know what he did but RIL is the same as I used. I suspect that something more get changed in Ivan's AOSP or after time in G. sources. I started to port newer RIL but still some things still aren't working...
It's like a playing with mad baby ;)
... but there is a hope ;)

I've tried yesterday playing with cm-14, but I'll leave it until I get RIL working.

Reactions: acastrocab
and did you look at the github of the guy who developed the non-working aosp rom?he maybe did something with that....i cant help more as i just learn what ril is

You mean AOSP 7.0? If yes it was build based on sndnvaps tree which was not ready to work ;) (I saw sndnvaps statement about this).

Reactions: acastrocab