New SGS III Bugs in 2.9.14 (and previous)

MasterTB

Members
Mar 20, 2012
Edited for version 2.9.14 (sorry for the delay)

I'm back after a 2 weeks period of absence since the change to the SGS III.
I like the rom I must say but there are things I still don't understand.

What's been fixed (since 2.9.7 / 2.8.31):
1) Smart Stay seems to be working, but there is no notification, just set the screen for 15 seconds time out and it doesn't if you stare at it... no indication on the task bar of it but it seems to work fine.
2) (Thanks RocknRolla) - when opening the camera from lockscreen, the image is way to left under the GUI, so we have a black bar on the right side This Seems Fixed, can't replicate on this weeks build. Hopefully for all.
3) Themes often FC's when changing wallpapers, which, by the way, do not include the transparent lockscreen anymore. Shame. I liked that.
4) You can now set a custom ringtone in whatsapp without problems, GO MIUI !!!!!!
5) Root problems seem to be gone, or I can't find any.

General bugs:
As posted by hieuzozo "Small photo widget is bug for me THis is 2x4 photo widget before choosing a picture, it looks fine But after choosing a picture, it becomes smaller" I have confirmed the behavior though I'm not sure it's a bug or a feature of the widget. See http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/sgs-iii-bugs-in-2-9-7-2-8-31.17986/#post-139978

It's still there:
1) Like on the SGS II, the rom EATS MY MEMORY, after 2 hours of use, 924MB of memory used and you can notice the lags, EVERYWHERE.
2) The desktop lags, bad. There is no way those are 60fps as advertised on MIUI promotional videos, those are not even 30.
3) Fixed.
4) Can't with any app sync HD pics for my contacts using Facebook. only manually. Really weird but I saw it happen a few times before when I was on the SGS II. Contacts FC's when trying to add a picture to a contact. Out of memory error in the Java Runtime. Seems bad. There is a serious Memory Leak here when ever you add a picture 512*512 or bigger to any contact, the contacts app will FC with an out of memory error.

Other than that, the room feels good. It's nice to be back on MIUI, despite it's little awkward things.
Oh, I almost forgot. IS MIUI ever going to include Noise Suppression on the Phone app? I mean, it is supported on the Samsung base rom, always has.... would be a nice add.

If you have any other bugs, please post them here and we'll keep the thread updated.
Thanks.

- Lags
- everywhere lags
- even more lags (just for the record... 1,4GHz Quadcore Exynos 4412)
- when opening the camera from lockscreen, the image is way to left under the GUI, so we have a black bar on the right side
- memory usage is like hell
- oh and i just have forgotten... lags

Reactions: MasterTB
who still got lags could try this:

open /system/build.prop

and add following lines

debug.performance.tuning=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
debug.sf.hw=1
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1

if it helped a bit, pls tell me...

who still got lags could try this:

open /system/build.prop

and add following lines

debug.performance.tuning=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
debug.sf.hw=1
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1

if it helped a bit, pls tell me...

Not working. Couldn't even save build.prop. On top of that, ROOT is not working in 2.8.31, had to install SuperSU from the market to get root.

Edited the first post.
One down, several to go.
Get your A Game on MIUI, it's time.

Excellent. We can bomb the Xiaomi dev team with these next week.

Note that 99% of issues especially lag, is cured with 4.1. I would rather have no phone than return to ICS base that's the big difference.

Reactions: MasterTB
Excellent. We can bomb the Xiaomi dev team with these next week.

Note that 99% of issues especially lag, is cured with 4.1. I would rather have no phone than return to ICS base that's the big difference.

Thankfully Samsung is pushing leaks of 4.1.1. like hotcakes... I used some of them (posted @XDA) and they're promising. Unfortunatelly only one leak for China but time is closing in.
One thing though, the leaks are not that buttery, yet.
Fingers Closed.

MasterTB, I am using this recovery, which has included superSU or something and the root works fine for me and seems to be the only one I tried that can install MIUI, who needs your device to identify itself as 'm0', touch recovery identifes it as galaxys3 and the pre-install script will throw and device error... also you can read about CF-root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1684535
I am also using kernel found here:
http://www.gokhanmoral.com/
(sorry for posting link to external forums)

P.S. Flashing this recovery will increment your flash counter, use triangle away application to reset it. It can be found on the market for about 2€, but i'm sure you can find a pirate version if you put your effort into it.

MasterTB, I am using this recovery, which has included superSU or something and the root works fine for me and seems to be the only one I tried that can install MIUI, who needs your device to identify itself as 'm0', touch recovery identifes it as galaxys3 and the pre-install script will throw and device error... also you can read about CF-root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1684535
I am also using kernel found here:
http://www.gokhanmoral.com/
(sorry for posting link to external forums)

P.S. Flashing this recovery will increment your flash counter, use triangle away application to reset it. It can be found on the market for about 2€, but i'm sure you can find a pirate version if you put your effort into it.

Thanks I am using cf-root to get recovery and is working fine.
Root is not a problem with the workaround I found and posted in the OP, which I guess is similar to what you're doing.
Good input for those who face issues.

New bug found in 2.9.14. This report comes from the Official English forum and was found by user hieuzozo:

Small photo widget is bug for me this is 2x4 photo widget before choosing a picture, it looks fine but after choosing a picture, it becomes smaller
Here's a link to the post so you can see for yourselves: http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=175&pid=3571

We are holding back in calling it a bug until we know if the behavior is due to a bug or a design on the widget but still, it doesn't look right. It is a 2x4 photo frame but it looks like 2x2 when holding a picture.

Reactions: hieuzozo2402
I noticed a bug in 2.9.21 where when recording a video via the stock application - aftar a few seconds of recording the video, the app freezes and then comes the dialog with message "Recording failed"... Can someone else try, so we can clear that there is nothing wrong with my camera?
P.S. taking photos works normally

Well I just recorded a 5 min. video without problems. Took a few pictures as well while recording the video. Nothing wrong with the rom on this end.

It turns out it was a kernel issue and it has been fixed.
Anyone who is ussing siyah kernel v1.5.3 use the low memory version, as the ordinary one has too little free buffer to record at full HD (fail).

Why?
Siyah users have dual boot option and that's like shouting "go away from MIUI" (becuase only JB ROMS are supported).... seriously