Smart plug zigbee without hub?

6thSense

Members
Jun 2, 2016
Hey guys, i am looking for outlet that can measure the current wattage draw from the wall. Ive liked the xiaomi mi smart socket plug (zigbee). However, i cant find clear info if i need a hub(gateway or how it ia called).
All i want to do is measure the current draw and be able to turn on/off remotely the plug. Some sellers say it will work, some that it wont. I am totally lost.
I dont have any other smart home appliances at the moment. (Just the vacuum but it uses wifi).

Hey guys, i am looking for outlet that can measure the current wattage draw from the wall. Ive liked the xiaomi mi smart socket plug (zigbee). However, i cant find clear info if i need a hub(gateway or how it ia called).
All i want to do is measure the current draw and be able to turn on/off remotely the plug. Some sellers say it will work, some that it wont. I am totally lost.
I dont have any other smart home appliances at the moment. (Just the vacuum but it uses wifi).
You will need the Mi Jia Gateway to connect the Zigbee compatible device through.

Once the Smart plug is paired to the Mi Jia Gateway you can view the Smart plugs power consumption.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,
is there a specific version of the Mi Jia Gateway that's for the EU or it's the same and it can be used with the Eu servers?
Also, where can I find all EU server compatible Xiaomi, Aquara, MiJia, Yeelight products?

Best Regards.

Hello,
I have similar issue/question about zigbee.
I have purchased a xiaomi smart socket (zigbee type by mistake)
and i am wandering is there any way to modify the frequency in order to connect it to my home network 2.4Ghz ?
It doesn't make sense to buy socket for 15$ and hub for 50$ :)
Some other suggestions?

Thank You in advance
Regards

If you buy the EU version of the hub, do not expect it to work with the huge majority of Zigbee devices. It's a major pain that only very few devices (sensors mostly, that are also sold in the EU) work with the hub, but other than that the hub is just a nice-to-look-at piece of useless hardware. I for sure regret having bought it as a kit together with motion and door sensors. Had I known that this is basically all you can use it with, I wouldn't have spent around 80 Euros!

Hello,
I have similar issue/question about zigbee.
I have purchased a xiaomi smart socket (zigbee type by mistake)
and i am wandering is there any way to modify the frequency in order to connect it to my home network 2.4Ghz ?
It doesn't make sense to buy socket for 15$ and hub for 50$ :)
Some other suggestions?

There is no way to modify a Zigbee device to work with WiFi. So, either buy a new socket, or buy a cheaper and actually working Zigbee hub. It's easy to find a Zigbee hub on the typical Chinese sites for between 15 and 30 Euro, or the same ones a bit more expensive on Amazon, or even locally if you live in a big city.

If the device supports Zigbee, you can use it with a Vera hub (which also supports other protocols): https://support.getvera.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021951933-Zigbee-Basics

Watch out, Zigbee isn't as "standard" as it sounds. Xiaomi Zigbee devices (e.g. sensors) are not even compatible between different hubs of Xiaomi (Mijia or Aqara), but are plagued with geolocation locks and server incompatibilities. Do not assume that anything Xiaomi works with Zigbee devices from other manufacturers! It may work, but most likely it doesn't and you just waste your money.

Watch out, Zigbee isn't as "standard" as it sounds. Xiaomi Zigbee devices (e.g. sensors) are not even compatible between different hubs of Xiaomi (Mijia or Aqara), but are plagued with geolocation locks and server incompatibilities. Do not assume that anything Xiaomi works with Zigbee devices from other manufacturers! It may work, but most likely it doesn't and you just waste your money.

GTK. Thanks.