Smart Space Heater S - Critical Issue

I usually use my heater in my room, that must be around 25 m2 (or less) and in that case, the temperature keeps going up, even at 1200W (which seems to be the minimum power output). I used it once in my living room, that's probably around 45 m2 and, in that case, temperature didn't seem to go up once it changed to 1200W.
Could it be that the min. output is just too powerful for smaller rooms, making it impossible to maintain the room temperature?
I thought I read the heater also had a 800W output, but during the time I measured it, it didn't use less than 1200W. It also only completely turns off if I create an automation for it to turn off if it goes above a specific temperature (using the temperature and humidity sensor 2 and not the thermostat from the heater).
I would say the heater should have a power output under 1200W, like 800W or 600W, and that would probably solve the issue, I guess
Try the following - switch it off, switch on, slide to maximum (28°), wait a few seconds and slide to the minimum (18°) and see what is the reading on the power meter?

Try the following - switch it off, switch on, slide to maximum (28°), wait a few seconds and slide to the minimum (18°) and see what is the reading on the power meter?

So, I've just tried that and this is what happened: When I turned it on at 28 ºC, it was on 2089W, according to the zigbee smart plug.
After a few minutes, I changed it 18 ºC and the power output was 1228W.
The temperature sensor and the heater are both showing 18 ºC (temperature sensor is already on 18,8 ºC and still climbing) and the power is still 1228W. (as soon as I turned the heater off, the temperature shown in the app jumped to 24 ºC)

I was wondering one thing though: the smart plug allows to set the "Maximum power limit". Would it be possible to set the power limit to, say, 800W, so the heater doesn't keep heating the space as much? Or would that not do anything? I have no clue how this stuff works, to be honest... :p

Removed the app and set it to 18º on the heater, reached 17.1º on the external sensor and it turned off automatically. Reached 16.1 and it turned back on...

Last edited:
Reactions: cenzor
So, I've just tried that and this is what happened: When I turned it on at 28 ºC, it was on 2089W, according to the zigbee smart plug.
After a few minutes, I changed it 18 ºC and the power output was 1228W.
The temperature sensor and the heater are both showing 18 ºC (temperature sensor is already on 18,8 ºC and still climbing) and the power is still 1228W. (as soon as I turned the heater off, the temperature shown in the app jumped to 24 ºC)

I was wondering one thing though: the smart plug allows to set the "Maximum power limit". Would it be possible to set the power limit to, say, 800W, so the heater doesn't keep heating the space as much? Or would that not do anything? I have no clue how this stuff works, to be honest... :p
With me, setting it to 19° for example shows 1100-1150W. When I set it to 18° within seconds it drops to 800W. Measure with smart plug.

P.s. Interesting observation above , what happens without the app.

"Removed the app and set it to 18º on the heater, reached 17.1º on the external sensor and it turned off automatically. Reached 16.1 and it turned back on..."

Did a further test:
Reached target temperature and turned off automatically. Disconnected from the electricity and connected in another room.
Manually turned on and it started heating at 900W, when the decreasing temperature on the external sensor reached 15.7 passed automatically to 1300W. When the temperature decreased to 15.3, power increased to 2200W.

Actually I don't have the S model, I've the 1S model. But I noticied that with this model my living room is not hotter than the S model because it always heating and the ambient temperature on the app after powering off is the same that when was powered on.

The good thing is that if the problem is indeed the app, it should be an easy(ish) fix, I'd say. I'll do some testing myself as soon as I can.

@Bondi Just one quick question: did you actually uninstalled the app from your phone or would it be enough to just remove the heater from the app?

Mine never dropped below 1200W, even when it was already reaching 20 ºC and the target temp was 18. This is all so weird...

The good thing is that if the problem is indeed the app, it should be an easy(ish) fix, I'd say. I'll do some testing myself as soon as I can.

@Bondi Just one quick question: did you actually uninstalled the app from your phone or would it be enough to just remove the heater from the app?

Mine never dropped below 1200W, even when it was already reaching 20 ºC and the target temp was 18. This is all so weird...

I've uninstalled but I think if you remove it from the app it's the same.

On my Space Heater 1S is the same... When reaches the temperature never drops 1200W.
The only thing I noticied that I don't have the problem with the temperature reading, which means when I power off the app shows the correct temperature and never higher ones and don't feel my living room so hot when I used the other model

Edit: I forgot to say that I decreased the temperature from 18°C to 17°C and the power meter showed 1200W and I noticied the ambient temperature (from the app) also decreased...

Edit 2: I found and issue: When I power off (standby mode) the heater starts at 1200W when the target temperature is reached ou hotter. If I power off, on the switch, and after power on, the power meter shows 0W because is already on the temperature

Last edited:
Oh! So I guess I was having a different issue from the previous reports! :thinking:

One example, on monday, I checked in the miApp/homeassistant and it was reporting a stable 23º (and my room was an oven :| )
then I closed and immediatly open the miApp and it would show me the temperature at 31ºC .. so I guess it was worse on my case
That's exactly what was happening to me.

If the problem ends up being the app, I'm gonna regret a lot returning mine.

On my Smart Heater 1S I've the same issues and the solution was creating automations to switch off if temperature is higher than 18º and switch on if temperature is below 18º.

I tested without the app, and I've the same problem and I tested resetting the wifi connection. Yesterday, using the app, I turned down the tempeature and the heared a click and the power meter was 0W. I powered off and powered on and the issue came back.

An observation over the course of 1 month. The thing does not switch off (as all of you have noticed). This means in absolute best scenario one of these devices will consume 800W*24hours* 30 days = 576 kWh per month. So in one month it will cost you more than what you have paid for it.
Good device , but this flaw, unless you use automation, it is not quite usable. It will overheat your room and cost way too much.

Reactions: Atill80
An observation over the course of 1 month. The thing does not switch off (as all of you have noticed). This means in absolute best scenario one of these devices will consume 800W*24hours* 30 days = 576 kWh per month. So in one month it will cost you more than what you have paid for it.
Good device , but this flaw, unless you use automation, it is not quite usable. It will overheat your room and cost way too much.
Agreed! I tried every way as some of you described here, but nothing worked. I found a forum where a guy integrated the heater into the Home Assistant environment where it works just fine. This method a bit beyond my abilities. At the same time, it means this can be fixed by firmware/software update. The question is, when will Xiaomi fix this.

Agreed! I tried every way as some of you described here, but nothing worked. I found a forum where a guy integrated the heater into the Home Assistant environment where it works just fine. This method a bit beyond my abilities. At the same time, it means this can be fixed by firmware/software update. The question is, when will Xiaomi fix this.
I don't think it means that it can be fixed by firmware/software update, it only takes something that can read the actual temperature in the room and then also something that can switch mi heater on or off depending on that temperature.
I've returned mine and now I'm a happy owner of an Ikohs Everwarm, which has automation inside its own app and can be turned on/off depending on the room temperature. It's been working like a charm.

I don't think it means that it can be fixed by firmware/software update, it only takes something that can read the actual temperature in the room and then also something that can switch mi heater on or off depending on that temperature.
I've returned mine and now I'm a happy owner of an Ikohs Everwarm, which has automation inside its own app and can be turned on/off depending on the room temperature. It's been working like a charm.

I have been checking their products (Ikohs) for a while now and I like their design, but I wasn't sure if they're good, quality-wise. In my case, I also like to be able to return a product (in case of warranty claims) or whatever to a physical store and not having to go through the hassle of shipping them to wherever and I don't think they have stores, at least where I live.

Anyways, regarding the xiaomi heater, the thing that pisses me off the most is actually the fact that there's no feedback whatsoever from the company. Xiaomi Portugal got back to me the first time, requesting some additional data and after that, nothing!
I intended to buy a lot more smart home products from Xiaomi, but I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. The idea of having all these different products that could be controlled via one single app was really nice, but it's worthless if the products don't work as intended/described.

Hello!
Good news! I received an firmware update from Xiaomi, now the heater works normally and stops when it reaches the set temperature.

Reactions: cenzor
Hello!
Good news! I received an firmware update from Xiaomi, now the heater works normally and stops when it reaches the set temperature.

Can I ask you on what serer you are? I just checked mine and I don't have any updates.

Also, by update you mean an update specifically for the heater, or the app?
The software version for my heater is the 2.0.8.0003 (it's the one I have since I bought this, I believe).

Anyway, I'm glad they fixed it. Better late than never, I guess... :p