Smart Space Heater S - Critical Issue

So, when you turn the heater on, the temperature that is shown in the mi home app actualy drops while another standalone temperature monitor raises? I'm pretty sure that never happened with my heater.
I'll still have to to some more testing, but both the temperature and humidity sensor 2 and the temperature shown in the mi home app are always more or less the same.
I'll have to wait for my hub to arrive so I can check exactly what the power output is.

I honestly don't get how something (apparently) so easy could causa this much trouble. It's a shame, because the heater is actually not bad at all.

Reactions: vascorebolo
Hi,

nice, i also didn't have the temperature reading from the heater in the app, didn't notice i had do click that in the mi app (not very intuitive).

now it shows the temperature using the heater sensor, i'll try later today if it gets steady at the selected temperature!

Abraço

edit: I think this corrected the issue .I have 18º C set on the Heater, and my xiaomi sensor that's in the same room got steady around ~18ºC too. Nice one!

edit2: bad news, the temperature seemed to have stabilized in the 18ºC I had set in the app, but in continued to rise. there were already 22ºC in the room when I had to manualy turn off the heater ...

I'll still have to run more tests on mine, but I'm pretty sure once I activated that option, the temperature rose quite slower once it got around 18 ºC, which was the temperature I had set. I'll have to wait until I get my hub to check the power output with the smart plug...

A person borrow me a Power Meter and I noticied the following:

• When I power on the heater the meter shows ~2000W, configured to 18°C and even the target is achieved (using the heater temperature) it continues on ~2000W
  • If I configure the heater to 19°C and then to 18°C I can hear a click and the meter shows ~1200W.
So, my conclusion is the Firmware update did not solved

Edit: I had to power off the heater and powered on the heater and the meter showed ~800W

Last edited:
A person borrow me a Power Meter and I noticied the following:

• When I power on the heater the meter shows ~2000W, configured to 18°C and even the target is achieved (using the heater temperature) it continues on ~2000W
  • If I configure the heater to 19°C and then to 18°C I can hear a click and the meter shows ~1200W.
So, my conclusion is the Firmware update did not solved

Same for me. Didn't solve it. Maybe, the version is diferent but its the same firmware. i dont know. If you keep raising the target and then lower it again, sometimes the heater switches to 800W.

That's it. Also like more people already mentioned during operation the room gets hotter but the sensor doesn't reflect this temperatures rise. As soon as the heater is turned off it's sensor shows an immediate rise of the temperature.

That's it. Also like more people already mentioned during operation the room gets hotter but the sensor doesn't reflect this temperatures rise. As soon as the heater is turned off it's sensor shows an immediate rise of the temperature.
This is me speculating... from what i know there are 2 sensors. And once the heater turns on, the two work together to measure the temperature. The software must work that value and show then in the app. Once you shut it off, it rises because the app only shows the value of one of the sensores (and it show be the top one...).

Just tested and the temperature on the app does go up once the heater is turned off. Hadn't noticed that before.
I submitted a comment for Xiaomi through the app. Probably won't do much, but I guess there's not much more we can do at the moment.

Hi to all forum members. :)

Regarding the firmware update - here are the release notes (took a screenshot while updating):

Roughly translated :
1. Support the one-click networking function of Xiaomi routers
2. Support Xiaomi router to change password and automatically connect back function

Firmware update:

1. Add APP to query country_code function

Nothing to do with temperature adjustment.

Regarding the non working thermostat, here is two interesting sections in the Help& feedback section of the heater (tree dots on the heater in Xiaomi Home app)

What is the difference between power mode and constant temperature mode?

The power level can be adjusted in power mode. The higher the power level, the faster it heats. In constant temperature mode, the heater will automatically adjust its power level. Once the heater reaches the specified temperature, it will adjust its power level to maintain that temperature.

Looks like whoever was developing the script instead of using 0W/800W/1250W/2200W only uses 800W/1250W/2200W ignoring the option to use 0(switch off) when desired temperature is achieved.
Once the script is adjusted - it should be able to work like any normal heater with thermostat - on/off upon reaching of required temperature.

Is it normal that the heater makes some noise?
Yes, this is normal as the heater converts electricity into heat. Due to rapid heat changes when turning the heater on or off, the expansion and contraction of metal parts makes some noise. Furthermore, when adjusting the temperature value, the relay will make some sound. It is recommended to disable the constant temperature mode before going to bed, by pressing and holding the button and then selecting an appropriate power level.

How do you disable the constant temp mode? Pressing and holding temp button for 5 seconds ignites all temp indicators and looks it goes on full power.

So, when you turn the heater on, the temperature that is shown in the mi home app actualy drops while another standalone temperature monitor raises? (...)
Yeh, exactly. The temperature on the mi home app only shows about the same as the standalone monitor once I turn the heater off.
When turned on, from the tests I did, set to 22º, it fell to 19º in about 1 hour, with the standalone temperature monitor measuring 29º. Once I turned the heater off, it showed 27º. Turning it on again, it fell almost immediately to 20º.

I've just returned my heater today. It's a shame, it actually works really well on heating, but not being able to maintain and regulate the temperature "smartly" it's of no use to me.

Hi to all forum members. :)

Regarding the firmware update - here are the release notes (took a screenshot while updating):

Roughly translated :
1. Support the one-click networking function of Xiaomi routers
2. Support Xiaomi router to change password and automatically connect back function

Firmware update:

1. Add APP to query country_code function

Nothing to do with temperature adjustment.

Regarding the non working thermostat, here is two interesting sections in the Help& feedback section of the heater (tree dots on the heater in Xiaomi Home app)

What is the difference between power mode and constant temperature mode?

The power level can be adjusted in power mode. The higher the power level, the faster it heats. In constant temperature mode, the heater will automatically adjust its power level. Once the heater reaches the specified temperature, it will adjust its power level to maintain that temperature.

Looks like whoever was developing the script instead of using 0W/800W/1250W/2200W only uses 800W/1250W/2200W ignoring the option to use 0(switch off) when desired temperature is achieved.
Once the script is adjusted - it should be able to work like any normal heater with thermostat - on/off upon reaching of required temperature.

Is it normal that the heater makes some noise?
Yes, this is normal as the heater converts electricity into heat. Due to rapid heat changes when turning the heater on or off, the expansion and contraction of metal parts makes some noise. Furthermore, when adjusting the temperature value, the relay will make some sound. It is recommended to disable the constant temperature mode before going to bed, by pressing and holding the button and then selecting an appropriate power level.

How do you disable the constant temp mode? Pressing and holding temp button for 5 seconds ignites all temp indicators and looks it goes on full power.

Considering all this, the only thing that really makes sense to me is that some rooms are just too small to allow them to maintain, without incresing, the room temperature at lower power - 800W.
I use it only in my room, that's probably about 25 m2 and when set to 18 ºC, it goes over 20 ºC before I manually shut it off.
But the thing that makes zero sense is the fact that the temperature on the app goes up once the heater is turned off and it goes back down once it's turned back on.
Would really love that Xiaomi would release a note telling people if this is normal or not and why, and if there's a fix for this.
Anyhow, now at least I learned how to enable/disable the constant temperature mode. :)

Reactions: cenzor
Is it possible to set power mode to 800w only?

Honestly, I don't know, but from what I've been reading here, I think the heater sets the power automatically. I'm pretty sure there's no way to set the power output manually. I guess it sets the power to 800w once it reaches the set temperature and when it only has to maintain the current temperature.

Just wondering: anybody here have the Smart Space Heater 1S (the one with a touchscreen)? Does it have the same problem as the "S" version? Looks like it's possible to set the 1S to 16 ºC, as the lowest temperature, instead of 18 ºC, and I'm wondering if it also uses 800W as the lowest output or if it's able to go lower, power-wise.
Since it seems to be a fairly new heater, at least in the EU, I'm not finding a lot information about possible problems.

Just wondering: anybody here have the Smart Space Heater 1S (the one with a touchscreen)? Does it have the same problem as the "S" version? Looks like it's possible to set the 1S to 16 ºC, as the lowest temperature, instead of 18 ºC, and I'm wondering if it also uses 800W as the lowest output or if it's able to go lower, power-wise.
Since it seems to be a fairly new heater, at least in the EU, I'm not finding a lot information about possible problems.
That's a goof question.

Maybe the software / firmware is the same and has the same problem... or not...

I like this heater because it heats quickly and always powered on for 1 hour on my living room. I hope not get scared when I see my electric bill on the end of the month

Same issue here, the heater is going crazy and doesn't stop.... It's starting to become way too hot in my bedroom (24 degres!), it wakes me up and I'm melting...

I've tried the solution with the apk and the new firmware but it didn't solve the issue.

How can we push Xiaomi to solve this issue? I just DM them via twitter

I bought the Xiaomi Smart Heater 1S and tested to 16°C (ambient temperature 13°C)

When I powered on the power meter showed ~2000W and after reaching 16°C the power meter showed ~1200W.
I powered off and the ambient temperature is not changed to higher temperatures, like Smart Heater S. I powered again and the power meter showed ~2000W but imediately dropped to 1200W to mantain the temperature.

It was a Quick test, later I will test to higher temperatures, like 18°C

Looks like the 1S nodel is more stable than the S model

Last edited:
The workaround to get stable 1200w output is turn on heater, increase heat to 28C then lower to 19C and then to 18C. Kind of stupid but gets the job done.

I was thinking about changing the S for the 1S and that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Wasn't the lowest power output 800W, though?

I got my hub today, so I'll try to do some testing with the heater paired with the temperature and humidity sensor 2 to see if there is any change, compared to using the thermostat from the heater itself.

I was thinking about changing the S for the 1S and that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Wasn't the lowest power output 800W, though?

I got my hub today, so I'll try to do some testing with the heater paired with the temperature and humidity sensor 2 to see if there is any change, compared to using the thermostat from the heater itself.

Areis, if you can return maybe it's a good ideia to do that. In my opinion the 1S is prettier than the S model because doesn't have the towel rack.

I have the oportunity to replace the model. At the moment I didn't had more tests but on my first use looks like it's doing the job: reaches the temperature and the power consuption decreases and the ambience temperature is not crazy, like the S model, I saw reacing 25°C after powering off.

Hi guys,

I have noticed recently the same problem with my two heaters, can be just coincidence but I only noticied the issue after integrating those heaters in HomeAssistant.

Is anyone having the issue using only using the official MiHome app? (Just to be 100% sure it's just a coincidence).

I'll be using the heaters for a week now with the integration turned off to see if they're unrelated.

Hi guys,

I have noticed recently the same problem with my two heaters, can be just coincidence but I only noticied the issue after integrating those heaters in HomeAssistant.

Is anyone having the issue using only using the official MiHome app? (Just to be 100% sure it's just a coincidence).

I'll be using the heaters for a week now with the integration turned off to see if they're unrelated.
Oh, that's interesting.
So, do you suggest removing the device from MiHome app, just set up the temperature in the device buttons, and then monitor the temperature in the room?
I returned mine, but if someone could do that, it would be nice.

So, do you suggest removing the device from MiHome app, just set up the temperature in the device buttons, and then monitor the temperature in the room?
Mhh, I'm doing exactly the opposite but your idea is good, I think i'll try that next if I can confirm the issues are still happening.
I've disabled the homeassistant to check if it was an interaction with it.

@vascorebolo you were having issues only using the mi App?

Hi guys,

Yes I am using the official mi home app and face the same issue - thermostat does not switch off.
On the other hand - temperature seems to be stable on both devices (I am using 2 of them in a room of 45sq.m.) and they are measuring quite fine, within 1° difference compared to temperature measured by the purifier in the same room - Xiaomi 2S.

So major issue with this heater is it does not switch off when reaching target(ish) temperature but only lowers the power and keeps on going.

Oh! So I guess I was having a different issue from the previous reports! :thinking:

One example, on monday, I checked in the miApp/homeassistant and it was reporting a stable 23º (and my room was an oven :| )
then I closed and immediatly open the miApp and it would show me the temperature at 31ºC .. so I guess it was worse on my case

I usually use my heater in my room, that must be around 25 m2 (or less) and in that case, the temperature keeps going up, even at 1200W (which seems to be the minimum power output). I used it once in my living room, that's probably around 45 m2 and, in that case, temperature didn't seem to go up once it changed to 1200W.
Could it be that the min. output is just too powerful for smaller rooms, making it impossible to maintain the room temperature?
I thought I read the heater also had a 800W output, but during the time I measured it, it didn't use less than 1200W. It also only completely turns off if I create an automation for it to turn off if it goes above a specific temperature (using the temperature and humidity sensor 2 and not the thermostat from the heater).
I would say the heater should have a power output under 1200W, like 800W or 600W, and that would probably solve the issue, I guess