Sony Smartwatch 2 compatibility with Miui from the introduction of all-in-one "security" app

aKiLL3r

Members
Sep 29, 2013
Hello!
i can't understand why from 3.11.29 version when i install an app for my sony smartwatch 2 from the play store, the app is not shown in the "installed applications" list in the smartwatch 2 app. to make my watch useful i had to revert my mi2s to 3.11.1 miui, install all smartwatch's stuff (that worked) and then update to 4.1.10 miui. but now i cannot add any other smartwatch app in the list! i think that is a problem of the new "security" app in miui, that contains also "permissions": when i installed for example "call handling for smartwatch 2", the system (3.11.1) asked me the permissions to use calls, instead in 4.1.10 there's not any message by the system about it. also if i disable permissions or just trust the app nothing happens.

sorry for the long post, but do u have any idea?

I have no clue, but what about freezing or deleting the security app?

I tracked this down. The problem is in android.test.IsolatedContext class located in /system/framework/
android.test.runner.jar file. The change which is causing it came with MIUI 3.11.29 update (prior to 3.11.29 all was working fine). I'm not an android developer and I could not manage to get appropriate source code to make a fix but the following error message will shed a light on this:

Code:
Could not find class 'android.test.IsolatedContext', referenced from method com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware.db.ExperienceDatabaseHelper.onUpgrade.

I tracked this down. The problem is in android.test.IsolatedContext class located in /system/framework/
android.test.runner.jar file. The change which is causing it came with MIUI 3.11.29 update (prior to 3.11.29 all was working fine). I'm not an android developer and I could not manage to get appropriate source code to make a fix but the following error message will shed a light on this:

Code:
Could not find class 'android.test.IsolatedContext', referenced from method com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware.db.ExperienceDatabaseHelper.onUpgrade.

Great,now I cant return to MIUI,tnx for posting this info.

P.S. Did you ever experience sudden disconnects when putting phone into sleep,this can only be fixed by wiping watch data but im on CM11.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't think they are gonna fix it in MIUIv5, maybe something can change in MIUIv6 but I'm sure it is possible to make a patch via Xposed (WSM Tools).
Is there any app developer willing to do that?

I don't think anyone would fix it and it's MEGA annoying. MIUI on other phones actually works. It's the MI2 that is problematic, even MI3 has a workaround... Perhaps it's somehow android base related? It's one of the main reasons I'm running a custom ROM now.

DEPRECATED SOLUTION - see my post below (http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/...of-all-in-one-security-app.23372/#post-224108)

I was not able to convert Sony extensions with Titanium backup (don't have paid version) but tried to convert it manually - dint work. BUT that idea point me to play with extensions (until now I was playing only with Smartwatch app).

How to resolve the problem:
1) Install WSM Tools or Xposed
2) Install & activate "App Settings" module
3) Open "App Settings" app
4) Search for each of Smartwatch extensions in this app, turn overriding/settings On (no changing of any options is required)
5) Click Permissions button (at the bottom of the screen), turn On overriding
6) Click Ok.
7) Click Save.
8) DONE.

This workaround will survive MIUI updates and does not required to convert user app to system app.

Enjoy :)

P.S. Please submit it to http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16822 because I don't have an account there.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbpbxecmecmbeh
Or just copy smart watch app to system/app

~Tapatalk~

Of course tried (that what I meant by doing it "manually") but it didn't work. My workaround is better as it does not eat more and more space from system partition.

I've tried that before (MI2) and didn't work. I'll try ine more time and keep my fingers crossed :)

It doesn't work and that's it :(

Last edited:
I think I found a way how to make it work without Titanium backup and WSM Tools.

All you need to do with each of newly installed Smartwatch plugin is the following (by using some root explorer like ES Explorer):

1) move the apk from /data/app/ to /system/app/
2) Restart.
3) Open-up Smartwatch App (the plugin will not appear in Smartwatch app but keep going)
4) move the apk back from /system/app/ to /data/app/
5) Restart.
6) Done.

Should work for any MIUI device.

Reactions: cbpbxecmecmbeh
I think I found a way how to make it work without Titanium backup and WSM Tools.

All you need to do with each of newly installed Smartwatch plugin is the following (by using some root explorer like ES Explorer):

2) Restart.
3) Open-up Smartwatch App (the plugin will not appear in Smartwatch app but keep going)
5) Restart.
6) Done.

Should work for any MIUI device.
@topmiuier thanx man... It f***ing works... Finally... :) :) :)

DEPRECATED SOLUTION - see my post below (http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/...of-all-in-one-security-app.23372/#post-224108)

I was not able to convert Sony extensions with Titanium backup (don't have paid version) but tried to convert it manually - dint work. BUT that idea point me to play with extensions (until now I was playing only with Smartwatch app).

How to resolve the problem:
1) Install WSM Tools or Xposed
2) Install & activate "App Settings" module
3) Open "App Settings" app
4) Search for each of Smartwatch extensions in this app, turn overriding/settings On (no changing of any options is required)
5) Click Permissions button (at the bottom of the screen), turn On overriding
6) Click Ok.
7) Click Save.
8) DONE.

This workaround will survive MIUI updates and does not required to convert user app to system app.

Enjoy :)

P.S. Please submit it to http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16822 because I don't have an account there.

Does this method also requires rooting the device?
And where to download this "WSM Tools or Xposed" please?

@topmiuier thanx man... It f***ing works... Finally... :) :) :)

Why the folder /data/ on my phone is empty even after I installed several apps on the SW2?

Under /system/app/, it does have some files there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-23-10-09-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-23-10-09-37.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 586
This is deprecated method so don't use it. All methods require root but MIUI comes rooted by default.

Thanks for the reply.

So how about this "without Titanium backup and WSM tools method"?

2) Restart.
5) Restart.
6) Done.

Should work for any MIUI device.​

BTW, as I tried on my Mi3, it seems that Titanium backup or ROM toolbox did not work. (see attached screenshot).
What do you mean by "MIUI comes rooted by default"?

Sorry about so many question
s.

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    327.1 KB · Views: 745
  • 02.png
    02.png
    213.9 KB · Views: 712
What ROM is this? Why do you have two sdcard partitions? I haven't seen this before...
I'm not sure. I bought this phone from Singtel in Singapore on contract. I never tried to change the ROM.
How to check the ROM info?
I've attached a printscreen again, would it help?

Attachments

• 04.png
    04.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 704