TWRP / Orangefox recovery for Redmi Note 9S (Curtana)

rbarat

Members
Apr 17, 2019
Edit October 25, 2021
Orangefox recovery
-> This is actually the best and only one fully working recovery with Android 11 ROMs!
Neither TWRP can properly decrypt the internal storage at the format.
Orangefox.jpg

-> Latest version: OrangeFox-miatoll-stable@R11.1_2.zip from October 24, 2021
-> Download: https://orangefox.download/device/miatoll
-> Installation:
a) If you have old TWRP in the phone simply install downloaded ZIP file in old TWRP recovery
b) if you have a new phone, see spoiler below

- unlock bootloader - here are step by step instructions in Czech language (for translate to EN use google translator)
- use Tastboot toolkit, see following instructions

- Unzip the downloaded toolkit from the archive and insert the toolkit folder directly into the root of the system disk, add recovery to this folder, if recovery has a different name, rename it to twrp.img (if the downloaded recovery is also archived, unzip it to get twrp.img file)

The file name must be twrp.img !!!

- Turn on the phone in FASTBOOT mode (start phone by holding together Power and Vvolume- keys) and connect it to the PC (in the Device Manager verify whether you have the appropriate driver for Fastboot mode - Android Bootloader

- Run it in the toolkit directory "instalace twrp windows"

- Press any key (e.g. Enter) in the next black window

- Will appears this window:

- If it is written there "Instalace probehla uspesne", the installation was successful
- Now Disconnect the cable from the phone
- Launch the phone by simultaneously pressing and holding the Power and Volume + buttons
- Phone will start to new revovery

- done

Latest local MIUI.EU ROMs:

Android 10:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...MNote9S_V12.0.6.0.QJWMIXM_v12-10.zip/download

Android 11:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...MNote9S_V12.0.4.0.RJWMIXM_v12-11.zip/download
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit May 025, 2021:
TWRP-3.5.1.A10

File: twrp-3.5.1.A10-curtana-geoanto555.img
Download
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit eptember 3, 2020:
TWRP 3.4.0-14 by mauronofrio
(developer working with official TeamWin Recovery Project)
-> multilanguage
TWRP3.jpg
-> uni version usable for models Redmi Note 9S, Redmi Note 9 Pro, Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Pocophone M2 Pro (Curtana, Joyeuse, Excalibur, Gram)
View attachment 32178
Mauronofrio's TWRP download folder: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mauronofrio-twrp/files/Curtana-Joyeuse-Gram-Excalibur/
For Curtana download latest file from 2020-09-28 "twrp-3.4.0-14-curtana-unified-mauronofrio.img"
It works well for me.

How to install:
- Install from old TWRP -> Install / Install IMG / select IMG file TWRP / select Recovery partition / Swipe to confirm
- Restart to Recovery

Edit August 8, 2020:
LR.TWRP 3.4.1B by russian 4PDA forum pages

-> english /russain languages
TWRP.jpg

Edit:
Redmi Note 9S uses two type of displays (Huaxing, Tianma), on Tianma display the "Swipe to unlock" button does not work well on version 0507. The solution is install version 0530.

Download:
version 0507
version 0530

Instructions:
0 -The phone must have the Bootloader unlocked
1 -You need to have drivers installed (you probably already have them when you unlocked Recovery - they are packed in a ZIP)
3 -Restart the phone to Fastboot mode (turn on the phone by holding down Vol- and Power), this picture will appear on the phone
fastboot.jpg
4 -Run file "TWRP-3.4.1B-0507-REDMI_NOTE9S-CN-wzsx150-fastboot\EN_Recovery-twrp-oneclick-EN.bat" in Windows
5 -Installation will take place, a black text window will open, follow the instructions in the black window.

Follows the ROM installation:
6 -Download latest recovery ROM 12.0.3
7 -In TWRP click on Wipe, then on Format Data -> type "yes" (this will decrypt the phone)
8 -Now you need to restart the phone to TWRP (in TWRP click on the Reboot button, then click on the Recovery button) !!! ( important, otherwise it will not work)
9 -In TWRP, connect the phone to the PC and copy the ROM to Internal storage
10 -Install ROM (In TWRP click on Install and select ZIP from storage)
11 -Restart to System

Optional Magisk (Root) Installation
12 -Magisk 20.4 a Magisk manager 7.5.1 here https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Backup/Restore ROM in TWRP:
- just back up Data and EFS partitions.
- when restoring, first install the ROM from ZIP and then restore the backup of Data and EFS partitions
- you will get the same phone state as after the backup

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I didn't see it.
But the detailed installation instructions I wrote here can help someone.

Reactions: Racer
Thanks for the info, I didn't see it.
But the detailed installation instructions I wrote here can help someone.
Thanks
That's very good to have both TWRP at the same place.
It will be helpful for some semi blind people around here!
EDIT: THEY ARE FOR REDMI NOTE 9S CURTANA and does NOT fit to REDMI NOTE9 PRO JOYEUSE!

Reactions: Racer
Many thanks, really easy way and instructions.
Worked like a charm

Enviado do meu Redmi Note 9S através do Tapatalk

I have LWTWRP 3.4.1b-0530 already installed on Curtana. When upgrade by dirty flash from xiaomi.eu v11.0.10 to new version 11.0.11 i got error 7. So I need upgrade my twrp. So to upgrade to xiaomi.eu v11.0.11 is there any twrp working?

I have LWTWRP 3.4.1b-0530 already installed on Curtana. When upgrade by dirty flash from xiaomi.eu v11.0.10 to new version 11.0.11 i got error 7. So I need upgrade my twrp. So to upgrade to xiaomi.eu v11.0.11 is there any twrp working?

I have the same TWRP Version and did exactly this update yesterday without any problem on my 9S curtana.

Additional Information: I have no root, no magisk. Just unlocked bootloader.

Reactions: Zeper
I have the same TWRP Version and did exactly this update yesterday without any problem on my 9S curtana.

I has magisk installed. I uninstalled magisk now. Magisk was the problem? Weired

still waiting 7days to complete unlocking bootloader, gonna change to this rom.
i hope the dial pads and the messaging apps are not that off google which is very boring

How did you update?
1)wipe cache and dalvik
2)flash v11.0.11
3)wipe cache and dalvik
4)reboot system
Thats right?
Thank you

How did you update?
1)wipe cache and dalvik
2)flash v11.0.11
3)wipe cache and dalvik
4)reboot system
Thats right?
Thank you

I used the integrated MIUI updater which automatically downloads update zip, boots to recovery, installs update and reboots to system.

I'm glad it helped you.
Can you post instructions for dirty flash? Maybe helps someone, and maybe help me to find why i got twrp error 7.
Don´t know if was magisk or have to reboot twrp before do dirty flash from v11.0.10 to v11.0.11. Md5 verify is right.
I am trying discover. Now i am again on v11.0.10
Thank you

Last edited:
With the integrated MIUI updater, i got v11.0.11 installed.
But i wonder if twrp error 7 was caused by magisk installed on v11.0.10
If was the problem we canot have magisk installed on future dirty flashes because we will get error 7. Someone can confirm this?

With the integrated MIUI updater, i got v11.0.11 installed.
But i wonder if twrp error 7 was caused by magisk installed on v11.0.10
If was the problem we canot have magisk installed on future dirty flashes because we will get error 7. Someone can confirm this?
Just downloading the rom. I let you know...

Just downloading the rom. I let you know...
not confirmed.
Eu 11.0.11 from download site flashed 100% without issue.
Magisk installed prior flashing and reinstalled via twrp after rom reboot.
TWRP LR team 3.4.1.b - 0507 (older)

not confirmed.
Eu 11.0.11 from download site flashed 100% without issue.
Magisk installed prior flashing and reinstalled via twrp after rom reboot.
TWRP LR team 3.4.1.b - 0507 (older)
Ok. What the steps you did for dirty flash?
-wipe dalvik and cache
-flash rom
-wipe dalvik and cache
-reboot system
-flash magisk
-reboot system
Did you made this steps?

Ok. What the steps you did for dirty flash?
-wipe dalvik and cache
-flash rom
-wipe dalvik and cache
-reboot system
-flash magisk
-reboot system
Did you made this steps?
No,
I drop the rom into the phone and install directly via TWRP.
Nothing else.
I only reboot recovery in order to install Magisk in advanced menu (root)

Reactions: Austrofred
TWRP installed but not toch/slider not working on redmi note 9s global version

Last edited: