What is VM (min-max-start)heap size for Xiaomi MI3 Snapdragon ver. and how it works!?

Deus

Members
Apr 17, 2014
What is VM (min-max-start)heap size for Xiaomi MI3 Snapdragon ver. and how it works!?

I'm always reading how people say that xxMB is the best size.

But what is it? And how it works?
What's it for? What's the right size for a Xiaomi MI3 64Gb.?

"This setting is simply the maximum amount of heap space (read: memory) a single instance of the Dalvik VM (read: application) can obtain.

Don't read anything into the "benchmarks" performed. This setting should have little effect on overall system performance. The only scenario where it would be beneficial to increase the maximum heap size would be if you have an application that is very close to using up all of its available heap space, which would force it to run garbage collection frequently, which would use up CPU cycles. It is possible that lowering the maximum heap size could be beneficial in that it might prevent an application from obtaining more memory than it needs (by forcing it to garbage collect sooner), but that all depends on how the Dalvik VM is implemented and is really beyond my knowledge."
Source : xda ;)
Another helpful thread : "http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15203400/android-vm-heap-size"

Reactions: deini
For heap size and other MI3 settings just see build.prop and /etc/init.qcom_post-boot.sh.

Higher maximum heapsize increases RAM useage but also can boost overall performance.
Lower max heapsize decreases RAM useage but can decrease system performance as well.
Just depends on how big your apps are and how much RAM they require.

It also depends on hardware too.
Quad core phones with 2gb+ RAM changing heapsize won't change performance that much.
On lower end devices it can make a difference.
I always did it on my old Samsung Galaxy S. Set it to 48mb.
Current devices are using 128mb already

Yes. Most current top devices use 512m. Note 3, MI3, Nexus 5 etc.

Wysłane z MI3