Would you consider paying for the MIUI Weather app if it was made available?

Would you pay for MIUI Weather given what you have just read?

• Total voters

MarkHUK

Site Founder
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
Hello everyone,

to avoid the clear outrage my mention of a paid application has caused here on the forums i am going to run a simple poll to get a clearer idea of the demand and interest in the apk.

To let people know the background of this app.

MIUI developed this Weather application about 5 months ago, it was NEVER designed to be functional anywhere but within China.

During this time some people have poked at the app to see how it works and no one figured it out, that is until about 2 months ago.

I spent some nights digging into smali code and discovered how the app interacted with the SQLite database, once i figured out this part the hard part was finding a suitable API, then how to create databases consistent with our locations and needs.

After a while I gave up, then along came Xacro who looked in the same way I did and got a little further with the JSON which is called to display the weather in the app. Together we worked to develop the application along with the help of forum member wowthatisrandom.

Between the 3 of us working together and sharing ideas we've managed to get a working application internationally!

This effort has taken time and effort, lost nights of sleep and a lot of other issues. Now in order for the app to actually work requires a PHP script and a MySQL database on our server here, without this the app will not work.

To support an app on the scale we anticipate would require additional funding one way or another, mainly due to demand on our server for calls to the weather api.

To say that $1 or £1 is unreasonable does not seem like a big ask? anyway, your thoughts!

Mark I would not mind paying a buck for all of the hard work yall put into making it work outside china.

Sent from my Droid using the miui-dev.com Forums App

Thanks, likelihood is we will give it to close friends to use and not release it as a paid or public app. I'm reviewing how the site works, additionally considering making some private forums.

The point is really, we have 4 thousand active members, hence my concern giving a FREE app then having it break, i'd rather be 100% confident Im releasing a near perfect app which can be supported (believe it or not i dont need source code to better this app!)

Charge $20. Ill by 2. Anybody who don't like it can... nm im in a bad mood. Congratulations!

Charge $20. Ill by 2. Anybody who don't like it can... nm im in a bad mood. Congratulations!

What's up BRD? keeping on topic, we'd only look to charge a fair price and that would be $1 / £1 - money is used to go back into community, although lately i do wonder! Was going to start competitions for stuff but in light of this evening, not so sure about it now.

The point is really, we have 4 thousand active members, hence my concern giving a FREE app then having it break, i'd rather be 100% confident Im releasing a near perfect app which can be supported (believe it or not i dont need source code to better this app!)

It us more than understandable. Some people want everything for nothing.

Sent from my PC36100 using the miui-dev.com Forums App

If we can find a way to give it for less we will but really, no ones stepped up to do this app - i am putting a lot of love and dedication towards making it as perfect as it deserves to be.

I have the support of MIUI.com for my work, any money we would potentially gain on this would fund the server, its as simple as that. I have a job, i DONT NEED money from this, if that were the case Language packs would be paid only! need I say more to people? :(

Additionally the number of people i've trained to translate and use MIUI on a modification level, all for free, all to help out :-(

A Buck seems to little.....I would pay more!!!!!

Sent from my Droid using the miui-dev.com Forums App

You know wuzup with me. I don't want this app running around cm7 just MIUI! Make some rules mark

Sent from my HTC Incredible using the miui-dev.com Forums App

I would have no problem paying something for it, heck I've paid a Buck for a lot lesser apps

Ill buy it!!! I think its a very clean and polished looking app. Any chance of getting a nicer looking clock/alarm on MIUI?

do whatever you feel like but you guys keep in mind that the original chinese dev did ALL this for free, they live base on very little ads and a lot of community support. I believe the key to a good ROM/app is friendly developers who's not all about getting money. My recommendation is do the app for free, those who like it will donate. When you charge for an app, do remember that people who don't like it will (excuse my language) bitch and want his/her money back then just creates more drama with in the community. Making this free will become more of a good thing than a bad thing for you mark, trust me.

do whatever you feel like but you guys keep in mind that the original chinese dev did ALL this for free, they live base on very little ads and a lot of community support. I believe the key to a good ROM/app is friendly developers who's not all about getting money. My recommendation is do the app for free, those who like it will donate. When you charge for an app, do remember that people who don't like it will (excuse my language) bitch and want his/her money back then just creates more drama with in the community. Making this free will become more of a good thing than a bad thing for you mark, trust me.

Yeah I understand mark for the cost of maintaining a server, but...

a better way to compensate the cost could be integrating more ads in the forums here.

Charging for an app that somebody else created in the first place is wrong, regardless of what effort you put in to modify it.
The chinese invested much more time, energy and cost into it than you and they did it for free.

So I really like you to look into some other solutions and ways to compensate for your costs,
rather than making it a paid app.

Sent from my HTC Desire using the miui-dev.com Forums App

I can upload your PHP scripts on my server... but not the mySQL database... (not accessible if it's not localhost)

I could pay probably up to $5-6 for it. Tho, can you sell someone else's app? I know a lot of work have been put down to make it work outside of China and that's why I'd pay for it.
But I think it would feel more right to make a "server donation", I mean that's where the money will go anyways.

IF people want a refund on it - they have that option in the Android Market.

Nothing is set in stone, if the demand is largely that people want it for free then they would have to hack the smali themselves and edit the api calls to their own code.

Either way we've pumped 5 days of development into this, never have I asked people to pay for packs and nor will i.

Cheers,

Mark

I could pay probably up to $5-6 for it. Tho, can you sell someone else's app? I know a lot of work have been put down to make it work outside of China and that's why I'd pay for it.
But I think it would feel more right to make a "server donation", I mean that's where the money will go anyways.

True, and with any developer app being paid for there is usually an operational cost behind it.

I haven't really ever donated to anything, but I would donate to you. I can't even imagine my phone without MIUI. Big thanks to you and the others who work so hard on a nightly basis for thankless owners like me! ;-)

Sent from my HTC Incredible using the miui-dev.com Forums App