Xiaomi Mi 8 Official Global ROM vs Xiaomi Mi 8 Global Version/Edition

matthew240790

Members
Aug 5, 2018
Hello everyone,

can anyone properly explain the difference between the Official Global ROM and the Global Version/Edition of Xiaomi Mi 8? What version is worth buying and why? I noticed the Global Edition/Version sells for more than the one with Official Global ROM. I need a version that will work properly within European Union with EU charger, NFC, mobile pay services, face unlock function,etc.

Thank you for all inputs.

Reactions: rafalmag
Hi Matthew

It is good to see you are asking before purchase and I should have done it before I made my purchase.

I bought a XiaoMi Mi 8 from China a few weeks ago, the phone came with great spec however there are a few problem with it, I can not get Google Pay NFC works at all, and after I have done research for days and found:

1. Global Edition of Mi8 comes with Global Rom which is Google Certified, this will allow you to use Google Pay with NFC
2. The Chinese version of Mi 8 can flash to Global Rom but it will unlock the Bootloader, XiaoMi's new policy does not allow you to relock the bootloader (relock will soft brick the device), which means Google Pay NFC will still not work, also it may stop the face unlock feature working, I have not tested it yet as there were someone in this forum already test it.

I believe the answer of your question is to buy the "Global Edition Mi8" as this is the only version that work with NFC and face unlock without root your device.
I have been aware of Global Edition is more expensive than the one in China, but considering this rom is certified by Google, there will be some cost around get it certified, such as extra development, time spend or may be some cost on certification.

Reactions: Kasas and Don415
Hi Matthew

It is good to see you are asking before purchase and I should have done it before I made my purchase.

I bought a XiaoMi Mi 8 from China a few weeks ago, the phone came with great spec however there are a few problem with it, I can not get Google Pay NFC works at all, and after I have done research for days and found:

1. Global Edition of Mi8 comes with Global Rom which is Google Certified, this will allow you to use Google Pay with NFC
2. The Chinese version of Mi 8 can flash to Global Rom but it will unlock the Bootloader, XiaoMi's new policy does not allow you to relock the bootloader (relock will soft brick the device), which means Google Pay NFC will still not work, also it may stop the face unlock feature working, I have not tested it yet as there were someone in this forum already test it.

I believe the answer of your question is to buy the "Global Edition Mi8" as this is the only version that work with NFC and face unlock without root your device.
I have been aware of Global Edition is more expensive than the one in China, but considering this rom is certified by Google, there will be some cost around get it certified, such as extra development, time spend or may be some cost on certification.

With the MIUI 10 ROM From this forum, after unlocking the bootloader im able to use the Google Pay NFC feature, Face unlock and all that without rooting the phone.

Give a try to the rom, and remember u have to wipe everything on TWRP before installing the first time.

Reactions: sesuner
With the MIUI 10 ROM From this forum, after unlocking the bootloader im able to use the Google Pay NFC feature, Face unlock and all that without rooting the phone.

Give a try to the rom, and remember u have to wipe everything on TWRP before installing the first time.
Thanks for your reply, which version did you use for Mi 8? I seems unable to find any rom for Mi8 in the download sections, Mi 8 rom seems to be missing.

Also is everything working fine? I have been aware of some other post clams that sometimes GPS need to be restart to be working? Or did you aware of any bug so far? If this is a good rom, I probably will give a try after 360 hours limitation of bootloader unlock。

Honestly back to the first question, if I know Xiaomi has such policy, I would buy the global version straight away, it is a lot more secure and hassle free.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, which version did you use for Mi 8? I seems unable to find any rom for Mi8 in the download sections, Mi 8 rom seems to be missing.

Also is everything working fine? I have been aware of some other post clams that sometimes GPS need to be restart to be working? Or did you aware of any bug so far? If this is a good rom, I probably will give a try after 360 hours limitation of bootloader unlock。

Honestly back to the first question, if I know Xiaomi has such policy, I would buy the global version straight away, it is a lot more secure and hassle free.

I didnt find any issue on my MI8 so far with this rom, with China ROM (Bought the phone like 2 months ago) NFC wasnt working and a lot of s**t wasnt translated so i found this forum and went ahead.

On this thread: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/8-7-26.45259/

U can see the download links, press the 2nd and there is a xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8_8.7.26_v10-8.1.zip there.

Also for TWRP u can download it here (last version, they update the post) https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/development/twrp-3-2-1-0611-xiaomi-mi8-t3804101 and u can learn how to install it on this forum or this other tuto: https://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/topic/how-to-install-twrp-and-root-xiaomi-mi-8/

There's a lot of info about how to install it on mi8, but remember there is somewhere when u install it that u need to press Format All because the partition on china ROM and this rom isnt the same, if you dont do it it wont work and it will be on bootloop (this can be fixed by doing it again the right way).

Greetings, Mikel

Reactions: Freddie.k78
I didnt find any issue on my MI8 so far with this rom, with China ROM (Bought the phone like 2 months ago) NFC wasnt working and a lot of s**t wasnt translated so i found this forum and went ahead.

On this thread: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/8-7-26.45259/

U can see the download links, press the 2nd and there is a xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8_8.7.26_v10-8.1.zip there.

Also for TWRP u can download it here (last version, they update the post) https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/development/twrp-3-2-1-0611-xiaomi-mi8-t3804101 and u can learn how to install it on this forum or this other tuto: https://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/topic/how-to-install-twrp-and-root-xiaomi-mi-8/

There's a lot of info about how to install it on mi8, but remember there is somewhere when u install it that u need to press Format All because the partition on china ROM and this rom isnt the same, if you dont do it it wont work and it will be on bootloop (this can be fixed by doing it again the right way).

Greetings, Mikel
Thank you Mikel, I will give a try once the bootloader can be unlocked, still got one more week to go.

Unfortunately also this ROM does not solve this problem which is a showstopper for me in migrating!

Hi Matthew

What if we want to flash the Xiaomi.eu ROM?
Does it make any difference having the Global ROM or the Global edition?
Does Google Pay work with the Xiaomi.eu ROM?

That are my questions exaclty as well. If I buy Offcial Global ROM version, will I be able to flash XIaomi.eu multilang. ROM in my language without problems? And after that, will everything work as it is supposed to (NFC, Google Pay, Face unclok,...)?

If you buy a global version, all google apps and google pay should be working, though I have not test it yet. But global ROM stable is official, you don't need to unlock your bootloader to flash a unofficial ROM, my suggestion is to use official release if you care about security and stability, as google may update their apps to block any custom ROM at anytime, they have improved their app detects uncertified ROM number of times previously, and if you are using a custom ROM, the risk is some apps may suddenly stop working and you will have to wait the community till they find the fix
That are my questions exaclty as well. If I buy Offcial Global ROM version, will I be able to flash XIaomi.eu multilang. ROM in my language without problems? And after that, will everything work as it is supposed to (NFC, Google Pay, Face unclok,...)?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Global ROM isnt MIUI10 yet
Google Pay works with Xiaomi.eu ROM

Unfortunately also this ROM does not solve this problem which is a showstopper for me in migrating!

Are u telling me that u dont migrate because there is something that doesnt works right and doesnt works right on your version rn?

Yeah, the rom doesnt solve it because its something built in and wrong since the begining. But solves everything else. Also there are weekly updates that solve things, if u post (before that, if you try it) about the error they can fix it.

Your choice, mine was installing it and trusting them.

Xiaomi.eu multilang rom works with everything u wrote there.

Google Pay Works so NFC does too (Google Pay uses NFC)
Face Unlock Works (Its not Xiaomi AI exclusive like they said on early stage)

If u have any further questions tell me, so i can check it on my phone and answer u.

Greetings

Thank you very much for all inputs and advice, really appreciated!. So all in all, I do not need to buy the more expensive Global Version/Edition, because the one with the Official Global ROM will work with everything just fine and then if I want to, I can flash Xiaomi.eu multilang ROM in my language and it will work just as fine too. Correct?

Thank you very much for all inputs and advice, really appreciated!. So all in all, I do not need to buy the more expensive Global Version/Edition, because the one with the Official Global ROM will work with everything just fine and then if I want to, I can flash Xiaomi.eu multilang ROM in my language and it will work just as fine too. Correct?

Exactly, as i said i bought mine with China Rom on June.

Im using rn this version of the MIUI in spanish
Screenshot_2018-08-08-11-25-30-709_pl.zdunex25.updater.png

And it works perfect for everything i tested.

Greetings

Just had to reinstall it to make it work, seems something didnt install last time. GPS Works now

Does it work better than with the Chinese or Global ROMs?

The question here is, does Chinese or Global ROM work for everything u want? NFC? Google Pay? GPS? Camera?

If the answer to that question is a no, you can answer yourself.

Greetings

The question here is, does Chinese or Global ROM work for everything u want? NFC? Google Pay? GPS? Camera?

If the answer to that question is a no, you can answer yourself.

Greetings
That's the question, I don't know it because I haven't bought the phone yet. And I don't want to buy it till I know if it works, otherwise I'll be wasting my money.

Look at this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is it any better flashing other ROMs?

There is also an "International version of the mobile"
and other ROM versions.
What's the difference between the Global beta and the Xiaomi.eu?

There is also an "International version of the mobile"
and other ROM versions.
What's the difference between the Global beta and the Xiaomi.eu?

Get the phone and try it by yourself, use the search on this forum or google.