Xiaomi Mi8 Global Version

I bought Mi8 Global from Ali******* and to my surprise it came unlocked out of the box today when i recieved it. I Love the specs and thought for a 6.2 phone it would be larger than my Mix 2. I will have to get used to the notch, i now have 256 gigs to use up but the Mix2 is still the more beautiful phone.

Thanks for your comment. That is very interesting. Was the box sealed?
It seems the retailers on Ali are using different terminology. If it is the
"official Global ROM" the retailer unlocked the phone and loaded the Global ROM
and if it is the
"Global version" (as they advertise the Redmi Note 5 for example) than it is a legitimate global phone.
And that would explain why it takes them a few days before they ship the phone, because the retailer needs time to change the ROM.
Any thoughts?

The first retailer is showing up on Ali with a "Global Version" instead of "Official Global ROM".

This is the answer from a retailer about the different versions:

"both "Global Version" and "Global ROM" is with a locked bootloader"
"Global Version is with EU charger .it is installed with global firmware.and it can support multi-language, Google Play , OTA update .
Global ROM is Chinese version which installed global ROM. it is with US charger. it can support multi-language, Google Play , OTA update"

I am still not sure what the difference is.

Reactions: Psicopato
Thanks for your comment. That is very interesting. Was the box sealed?
It seems the retailers on Ali are using different terminology. If it is the
"official Global ROM" the retailer unlocked the phone and loaded the Global ROM
and if it is the
"Global version" (as they advertise the Redmi Note 5 for example) than it is a legitimate global phone.
And that would explain why it takes them a few days before they ship the phone, because the retailer needs time to change the ROM.
Any thoughts?

My box was sealed, yes!
I was very surprised to get an unlocked phone, it saved me a lot of time.

when will the global stable (official) come for Xiaomi Mi 8? if global stable arrives, can I upgrade directly from the settings? without again flash the TWRP and download the zip ??

I bought Mi8 Global from Ali******* and to my surprise it came unlocked out of the box today when i recieved it. I Love the specs and thought for a 6.2 phone it would be larger than my Mix 2. I will have to get used to the notch, i now have 256 gigs to use up but the Mix2 is still the more beautiful phone.
Hi, is the package come with English or Chinese description? Is the charger adapter 2 pin or 3 pin? Is it Global Stable ROM as stated in "device information"? What do you mean by "unlocked" phone? Can it update OTA? Does it function like an official Global ROM Xiaomi 8? TQSM!!!

Just for your information, a sealed box doesnt mean anything. I've seen people taking open boxes and resealing them so they look new.

Hi, is the package come with English or Chinese description? Is the charger adapter 2 pin or 3 pin? Is it Global Stable ROM as stated in "device information"? What do you mean by "unlocked" phone? Can it update OTA? Does it function like an official Global ROM Xiaomi 8? TQSM!!!

What is so hard to understand ?
I bought a Global version from this seller and i was surprised to receive it unlocked !
The charger adapter came with 2 pins, which i leave in the box anyways, i use a different one.
It also came with an EU adapter to use with the 2 pin adapter.
When i first turned it on , i was able to choose from many different languages, English was the one i needed.
As soon as i noticed that it was unlocked i immediately installed a Rom from here and the rest is history.
It works great, i wish though that someone would develop a better twrp version without Chinese characters as is available for all other phones that we play with here, but at least i can make use of it until then !
As for OTA, it functions on this phone on roms from this community.

The first most IMPORTANT thing before purchasing Chinese hardware is to READ everything and make sure you know what you are getting !

I'm literally setting up my MI8 now, I ordered it from Aliiexpress (Goldway) - It looks like it's already unlocked and running a global MIUI 9.... It's descibed as MIUI Global 9.5 Stable? all seems to be ok so far

Stick to that Rom, MIUI 10 have some very small glitches with themes and fingerprint unlocking, it`s still in beta. If you don`t use that, than you can flash latest MIUI 10.

Yes because, they are using Chinese version to hack to global version ! Waiting for mine, hope it will come quickly !

can you view this link? https://gizchina.it/2018/07/xiaomi-mi-8-download-guida-miui-9-global-stable/ is a miui 9 global stable version (with all the languages included, including also Italian language, is installed also google apps and services, is a global stable disguised in China or / and a global stable released around the world, ready to use ??????) thank you so much. I am very insistent on my questions, I hope you answer me, because if the things I wrote above, you confirm me all true, I install it. at least it is a global stable (against a Roma xiaomi.eu, which is instead beta)

can you view this link? https://gizchina.it/2018/07/xiaomi-mi-8-download-guida-miui-9-global-stable/ is a miui 9 global stable version (with all the languages included, including also Italian language, is installed also google apps and services, is a global stable disguised in China or / and a global stable released around the world, ready to use ??????) thank you so much. I am very insistent on my questions, I hope you answer me, because if the things I wrote above, you confirm me all true, I install it. at least it is a global stable (against a Roma xiaomi.eu, which is instead beta)

Hi, got my phone today from Uncle Ali ! thx a lot. The Mi 8 is a unlock chinise version and comes with miui 9.5 stable and for me in French. It works perfect (indeed this flagship is quite a killer ! ). But, i can't update to miui 10 beta, it says " it's not allowed to upgrade to unofficial ROM package" ! How do i pass throug this thing ? Thx

Where i can download the official Global Rom for my Mi8 ? Actually using the XiaomiEU Rom but wanna try the Global Version aswell :)

It may take a couple minutes. I have tried it already, but the face recognition only works if you change the region to Singapore/Hong Kong or some eastern country I believe.
And I couldn't get it to boot after installing root.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

It may take a couple minutes. I have tried it already, but the face recognition only works if you change the region to Singapore/Hong Kong or some eastern country I believe.
And I couldn't get it to boot after installing root.

about how many minutes

Not exactly sure. How did you installed yours? Fastboot or recovery?

Ahhhh now I saw from where you downloaded... I was actually talking about the official global ROM, which is still based on Mi 9. That website I never managed to get it booting, don't know if it was because of root or the Dolby. Tried removing the both of them, didn't worked either. My advice, stick to xiaomi.eu for the time being. They still release a weekly ROM, and besides, they squash more bugs. ******** is based on Xiaomi.eu btw..

Does someone know whether the Mi 8 sold on GearB*** under the name "International version" is the version that will be released in EU ?
BTW, still no official date of EU release?

Waiting for mine to arrive! Bought on gbest a few days ago, I have literally zero idea if it's coming as global or different software... I guess I'll have to wait and see.