[2014-07-08] ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.5.0

Format your sdcard when you flash the ROM... But i don't understand you....
What files do you mean???
Sent from my Mi2s

As you said you have enabled tdb. If you want clean install you should make the above actions but be careful which of 2 systems you choose.

If you want for example to make a clean install of a ROM in system 2 (with no data, even in sdcard, from previous installations), you should(in CWM)
1) go to mounts and storage -> format /sdcard
2) wipe data/factory reset at system 2
3) install zip in system 2
4) go to advanced -> active system and choose System 2
5) Reboot & enjoy

Yes format, that's the word I'm looking for.
Can you explain to me further what this step 1 will do? It will format which system partition because I dont see an option to select by partition?

formatting sdcard means deleting everything like pictures, music, downloads etc.

sdcard is the place that 2 systems use, to store files.

I hope you understand what I mean

PS: Sorry for my english

Please correct me if I misunderstand anything.

There are 2 system partitions.
These system partitions are virtual and exist in the 3.7Gb partition of the sdcard.

Before enabling TDB:
The applications are installed into the 3.7Gb storage.
Phone setting is stored in the 3.7Gb storage.
Both roms in separate system partitions share the same applications and phone setting.

After enabling TDB:
Each rom has its own application and phone setting.
The applications are installed into the rom's system partition (and also the phone setting).

Questions:
1) Formatting the sdcard in CWM will delete the whole sdcard content(both roms, applications, personal folder, etc.)? -edit- I have tested this and found the answer myself. It will delete everything on the sdcard.
2) Before enabling TDB, is there a way to format only the 3.7Gb partition storage?
3) After enabling TDB, if I want to install a new rom into the system partition 1, will it also remove all applications and phone setting in the same system partition 1?
4) After enabling TDB, is there a way to format by system partition(remove the rom, application and phone setting)?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I misunderstand anything.

There are 2 system partitions.
These system partitions are virtual and exist in the 3.7Gb partition of the sdcard.

Before enabling TDB:
The applications are installed into the 3.7Gb storage.
Phone setting is stored in the 3.7Gb storage.
Both roms in separate system partitions share the same applications and phone setting.

After enabling TDB:
Each rom has its own application and phone setting.
The applications are installed into the rom's system partition (and also the phone setting).

Questions:
1) Formatting the sdcard in CWM will delete the whole sdcard content(both roms, applications, personal folder, etc.)? -edit- I have tested this and found the answer myself. It will delete everything on the sdcard.
2) Before enabling TDB, is there a way to format only the 3.7Gb partition storage?
3) After enabling TDB, if I want to install a new rom into the system partition 1, will it also remove all applications and phone setting in the same system partition 1?
4) After enabling TDB, is there a way to format by system partition(remove the rom, application and phone setting)?

Thank you.

1) if you format sdcard ALL user's files are deleted: do it if you want a new clean user space, otherwise be aware that this operation erases all your files (your music files, your pictures, your movies, and so on)
2) you can format system partition (system1 or system2 or both) and so on from the "mounts and storage" menu of the cwm recovery .. but do it carefully and safely: make a full nandroid backup before doing this (through "backup and restore" menu in the cwm recovery) .. otherwise you can simply make a full wipe (data, cache, dalvik cache): it's not the same, but surely it is simpler and safer
3) no: if you have just enabled TDB, when you flash another rom on the same partition that you usually use, you can simply flash it without wiping data and cache .. in most cases it is safe: you MUST wipe data, cache and dalvik before flashing a completely different rom, such as a Cyanogenmod rom on a (previously installed) Miui .. in these cases you can't simply flash the rom, 'cause the system files are very different and if you don't wipe all before flashing the new different rom, you risk to brick your xiaomi phone
4) If I understood what you mean (you mean "remove the other rom to free and erase one partition"?), I really don't know, but I'm quite sure this is the shortest way to brick the phone .. ;-) otherwise, if you mean "format system partition of one of the two roms, without erasing its partition", then, please, see points 1 e 2

Hope it helps

bye

fast question ...

I've updated through updater app the 2nd rom on the partiotion that I was not using and, obviously, CWM recovery was overwritten by xiaomi official recovery ..

so I re-flashed cwm recovery and all seems ok on the rom I was using .. but ..

when I reboot to cwm recovery, under advanced menu, I see that TDB is enabled (the menu report "disable true dual boot")

it's quite strange, because on the first post of this thread, the guide says that in these cases TDB is auto-disabled ... but it seems not in my case, so I ask myself .. is the TDB menu reliable?

I don't want to try, because I don't want to wipe all (I'm a very lazy guy eeheheheh :) )

Thanks for any reply

Thank you hal9000. I will restructure again my questions later to minimize confusion.
For now, can anyone answer my question below?
m2s.png

Is my picture above correct for the layout before tdb is enabled? Please fix it for me if it is wrong. And what would be the layout after tdb is enabled?

Last edited:
Not exactly. These 3.7GB are just one partition(/data). All partitions together are 7.6GB.

Not exactly. These 3.7GB are just one partition(/data). All partitions together are 7.6GB.

Hi M1cha, could you draw me the layout before and after the tdb is enabled?
I'm trying to figure out what these are for and which layout it affects:
-format /system
-format /system1
-format /data
-format /data1
-format /cache
-format /sdcard

Hopefully with a diagram I could understand better.

I have further questions.
1) Where CWM is installed in?
2) Am I correct to say that application data and phone setting are in userdata partition but some application data are in storage partition? Because when I switch the system, I can see application folders belong to the other system.
3) When tdb is enabled, it actually delete the application and phone setting in the user data and put some sort like a shortcut into the system partition that will run/fetch its data in the userdata partition?
4) How tdb handles same application installed in different system?
5) If I choose to format /system1, it will format system1 partition as a whole or only the mountpoint: /system1?
6) What is the difference between wipe and format? Which layout will be affected if I choose to:
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- wipe dalvik cache

Thank you in advance for anyone's valuable input.

1) on the recovery partition. There are 3 bootmodes: recovery, boot-system and boot-system1
2) 2) yes
3) TDB will just create two subfolders on userdata partition for both systems and a system hacks changes the mount command to bind-mount them to /data
4) system0 doesn't know anything about system1 and vise versa
5) a mountpoint is that path where the files of the partition are made available. u can't format a mountpoint.
6) wipe deletes all files on a partition while format completely erases the filesystem
- userdata, cache
- cache,
- /data/dalvik-cache

The whole purpose of your question seems to be that u don't want to see files on your sdcard which don't belong to the system u are currently using - which is not possible.

I just say that because what u're currently asking is very technical and doesn't seems to be related to your "problems".

Did you use a iPhone in the past? I would expect from such users that they dont want to see things they don't need :p
Don't take it personal it's just a joke :)

Reactions: dextructor
No. I dont take it personal.
I dont have a smartphone back then. This is my first smartphone. Android system is a new thing for me.
Thus, comes my many questions :D

Does rom comes with a modem driver?
If so, for an installation of new rom, how do I wipe the existing modem?

Good :)

Only MIUI comes with modem firmware. But CWM doesn't format this partition.
Formatting Modem is never needed because without modem u don't have RIL and if a ROM installs another version the old one will be replaced.

For an installation of a new different ROM, eg: from MIUI to CM, most only requires wiping data, cache and dalvik-cache.
I dont see anyone suggesting to format /system. Did I got the wrong concept here?

Like in Windows where C: drive is formatted for a new clean installation.

The difference is that the updete.zips wipe the system themselve without asking you.

This is OK because the system partition doesn't contain any data

Heloo everyone, i'm new with Xiaomi. I've just bought Mi2S and i want to root the phone.
i've already download CWM but when i want to reboot to CWM recovery, it's not working. the CWM says: "An error occured while attempting to run privilleged cammands!"

Notes:
1. I haven't use this CWM ver. 6.0-3-2.19686
2. I already download the zip and renamed it, and put it in my sdcard
3. I download the CWM from google play store and it's version doesn't recognized my phone, i mean CWM doesn't have Xiaomi phone on the list.

Can somebody give me a step-by-step guide: from install CWM and updating the ROM

Thank you before

you have to flash the zip file, before installing CWM from Play Store. In order to flash it you need to boot into recovery with the instructions given in first post.

If you want to boot into recovery through CWM app, you need to get root privilege.

Go to Security Center -> Permissions -> ROOT and enable it

But i don't find the ROOT permissions.
In my phone it is: security center --> permissions --> screen security / privacy protection / etc. But there're no ROOT?
my MIUI version: MIUI-JLB22.0 // Android version: 4.1.1JRO03L

Well its because you have MIUI JLB22. This version is not rooted. You have to install dev rom (like our miuiandroid), then you will have ROOT option.

Yeayy! thx u guys.. finally i rooted the ROM with CWM and now using MIUI 3.10.18 :)
but, one question: i have google play store, but when i want to download, why the apps only want resume download process with wifi only. Even i toggle-on data and toggle-off my WLAN, it doesn't want resume the download process.
Is it a bug?

Heloo everyone, i'm new with Xiaomi. I've just bought Mi2S and i want to root the phone.
i've already download CWM but when i want to reboot to CWM recovery, it's not working. the CWM says: "An error occured while attempting to run privilleged cammands!"

Notes:
1. I haven't use this CWM ver. 6.0-3-2.19686
2. I already download the zip and renamed it, and put it in my sdcard
3. I download the CWM from google play store and it's version doesn't recognized my phone, i mean CWM doesn't have Xiaomi phone on the list.

Can somebody give me a step-by-step guide: from install CWM and updating the ROM

Thank you before
If you don't know or understand or you think that is difficult how to install this recovery or installing a ROM, try AriesToolkit this can install Rom and recovery on mi2s and sync photos and sync music :)

I ordered a Mi2s because the glass of my Mi2 broke/ My girlfriends Mi2 :D I just wanted to ask/ confirm: I only make a nandroid back-up from my Mi2 and I can install it on the Mi2s? Ofcourse I will flash the latest rom and CWM :)