[8.11.15 Mi Mix 2S] 5 GHz Hotspot not working

letsdoit

Members
Oct 12, 2018
I have a problem (since 2 - 3 months) and hope, somebody has an idea, how to solve it!

At my Mi Mix 2S (Weekly 8.11.15 at the moment, but i lasts for ca. 3 months now) i can open a WiFi Hotspot. This works properly when i choose 2.4 GHz. Everybody can connect to it and everything works.

But when i choose the 5 GHz frequency, then on the phone everything looks great. But none of my other devices (Handy, Tablet, Laptop, ...) could see or connect to this hotspot. It looks like, there is no WiFi network available.

When i switch back to 2.4 GHz everything turns fine again.

All the affected devices are able to use the 5 GHz network (and do so on my network at home).

Do you have any ideas, why this could happen?

Thanks Michel

Same problem here with mi 8 (8.11.23 global beta)
I bought the phone 1 month ago. and my devices could never see it when I choose 5ghz band.

Install an app like WiFi Analyzer in some other phone, and check which frequency your Mix 2s is using.

Not sure this will work if the other phone does not support the frequency the Mix 2s is using, but it is worth a try.

Sorry, but this didnt work. My 5 GHz Hotspot is not recognized. Neither on an other Xiaomi Phone (Mi6) of my wife

Thank you very much for this good suggestion. But i cant find this setting in WiFi Analyser

To access settigs you touch the "wrench" symbol at top right.
Then you see "Available channels(5ghZ)".

Now I see that this only affects channel ratings, so probably won't help.

My thought is that your Mix 2s is using a frequency only used in China.
That could be if it is a Chinese version from the beginning.

The problem is figuring out if that is in fact the case.

Hello again and thank you very much for trying to help in this strange case.

Here are some more facts:

The MiMix 2S is the official "Global Version". Bought in Germany at an german dealer. No "grey import" or "china import".
It is - of course - unlocked and with actual weekly xiaomi.eu.

It also works "passive" in all existing 5 GHz WiFi networks, i ever tried.

But when i try to open a 5 GHz Hotspot, everything looks good, but the network can not be finded by any other device (Huawei MediaPad, Surface Book, iPad's and neither a Xiaomi Mi6 (which is a china import with unlocked bootloader and also xiaomi.eu firmware). When i switch to a 2.4 GHz Hotspot, everything works perfect.

Isn't this very strange? Has none of you the same bug with his Mi Mix 2S?

Sorry, I have no more good easy ideas.

I don't think there should be a hardware problem in your phone, as everything else seems to work.

You could always try reinstalling everything from scratch, which should fix any glitch in the firmware.

Fastboot flash an official Global ROM first, then install TWRP and then Xiaomi.eu.
That is a lot of anoying work, I know.

Could it be, that there is a connection to this official "XIAOMI-News"?

Announcement Regarding 5GHz Wi-Fi Hotspots (Band 1)

Hello Mi Fans,

5GHz Wi-Fi hotspots (band 1) will no longer be supported on our products in the following countries and regions due to the EU restrictions on the indoor use of 5Ghz bands 1 and 2.

1. 27 member states of the European Union:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

2. Countries and regions that recognize the CE marking:
Egypt, Hong Kong SAR (China), Singapore, Turkey, Ukraine.

The support of this functionality (if any) will be removed from the currently retailed devices in the coming software updates.

Thanks for your understanding.

Source: https://en.miui.com/thread-4944909-1-1.html

Same problem here with mi 8 (8.11.23 global beta)
I bought the phone 1 month ago. and my devices could never see it when I choose 5ghz band.

In the meantime i switched form Mix 2S to a brand new Mi 8 --> Same Problem (Global Version with Xiaomi.eu 8.12.13 ROM). I can't really believe that a 5 GHZ Hotspot works anywhere else out there.

There has to be a "bug" in the Xiaomi-Firmware. 3 "defect" devices in a row (Mi6, Mix 2S and now Mi8) with this behaviour?

There seems to be coming a general blocking of 5GHz wifi hotspots in the next weekly update, this is apparently because of EU regulations.

The devs here are onto the problem, have a workaround as I understand it, will probably post about this in the coming weekly Information.

This might be the same as your problem, but you had this problem earlier, so perhaps not?

I have now 2 Huawei routers in which 5GHz wifi is blocked when roaming, I didn't know about this when I was replying in this thread previously.

So it is not just a Xiaomi problem