[APP] Mi2raw – enables capturing real raw!

I compare them just to show how is better to shut with RAW then with stock camera JPG.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the new update solf, everything is working great on my 32gb mi2s. If you could add manual controls (shutter speed, apperture, iso) in the future it would be great!

There are manual controls from the first day... ISO, exposure compensation and antibanding

hi, great update!
what about implementation of shutter/aperture control?

Aperture is constant... It is F2.2 for IMX135 and F2.0 for others
Android camera doesn't support shutter speed by default. Trying to hack it.

Just a curiosity, do you think that is possible to add manual focus control? It has to be an hack or a low-level implementation for sure (android API are very simple and are far away from providing such 'advanced' feature for now), but that will be another very interesting feature, especially for MI2S users with IMX135 (that have a bad autofocus control from camera driver).

Inviato dal mio MI 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

There are manual controls from the first day... ISO, exposure compensation and antibanding

Thank you for the reply and your hard work, when i am saying manual controls i mean options to adjust apperture and shutter time (iso settings is already there). It would be great if we could adjust the time of shutter and take some long exposures with our mi2s.

Thank you for the reply and your hard work, when i am saying manual controls i mean options to adjust apperture and shutter time (iso settings is already there). It would be great if we could adjust the time of shutter and take some long exposures with our mi2s.
That can be done in some ways, apps like Camera FV-5 allow the manual control of both exposure and shutter time that work on MI2S (but it is not real control: exposure changes will tweak ISO and white balance, while shutter speed is achieved by recording a video and merging the frames in one single image).
Anyway, thank you Solf, you made an amazing work for RAW recording!

That can be done in some ways, apps like Camera FV-5 allow the manual control of both exposure and shutter time that work on MI2S (but it is not real control: exposure changes will tweak ISO and white balance, while shutter speed is achieved by recording a video and merging the frames in one single image).
Anyway, thank you Solf, you made an amazing work for RAW recording!

Camera FV-5 doesn't allow to alter shutter speed... But it shows the final shutter speed after the photo has been taken.
So.... good news guys, I will implement this :)
Stay tuned!

Camera FV-5 doesn't allow to alter shutter speed... But it shows the final shutter speed after the photo has been taken.
So.... good news guys, I will implement this :)
Stay tuned!
Thanks Solf! If you select 'S' mode on Camera FV-5 then you can choose manually the shutter speed (eg. set it to 10 seconds), anyway in that app it is not the real camera's shutter speed that changes, it's an hack that uses video recording and unfortunately the result is far from what can be obtained with a manual configuration of the photo camera's shutter speed.

How we can donate you some little gift for your hard work? :)

I added a donation button in the first thread :)

Thanks Solf! If you select 'S' mode on Camera FV-5 then you can choose manually the shutter speed (eg. set it to 10 seconds), anyway in that app it is not the real camera's shutter speed that changes, it's an hack that uses video recording and unfortunately the result is far from what can be obtained with a manual configuration of the photo camera's shutter speed.

Exactly, it accumulates video frames to create a virtual long shutter. Same as overlaying multiple layer in Photoshop.

A new version is out!!
It's a major update in terms of functionality and performance.
See change list in the first message in the thread. Also, to get the idea of the new shutter speed function, watch the video.

Thanks to slavke1976 for his generous donation!

BEST App Ever!!

I have a suggestion about the UI,

Wouldn't it look better if it was full screen preview?
Also I think a live histogram might look cool and make a good advantage of the free space at the top :p
Some shades around icons and some semi-transparent background

-When the app is on landscape orientation the save dialog is not.
- I don't see a need to show a saving dialog after taking an image.
- Auto focus without taping on the screen would be nice.
- Shutter effect, or some dimming on shooting would be nice too.

J05xF8y.jpg

Reactions: Solf
@andy.afef the full picture captured by camera sensor has about a 4/3 aspect ratio while the screen is 16/9.. ;)

Inviato dal mio MI 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Solf
Do you have any idea how MIUI did it with the MIUI camera app?
MIUI camera app has big black border when taking photo with full resolution.
Otherwise you have to crop or distort the picture preview, which does not make much sense because what you would see is not what you save.

Reactions: andy.afef
OOOHHHH MY GOD!!!

This is the very fist time I've ever notice the big black border!!!

How can I be this blind all the time O_O
I had the phone for 2 years and this is the first time I see it O_O.

Thank you for the reply :D

Reactions: guari
BEST App Ever!!

I have a suggestion about the UI,

Wouldn't it look better if it was full screen preview?
Also I think a live histogram might look cool and make a good advantage of the free space at the top :p
Some shades around icons and some semi-transparent background

-When the app is on landscape orientation the save dialog is not.
- I don't see a need to show a saving dialog after taking an image.
- Auto focus without taping on the screen would be nice.
- Shutter effect, or some dimming on shooting would be nice too.

Thank you @andy.afef for your detailed suggestion and the demonstration!

The semi transparent bg behind the green text is a very good idea - it will appear for sure in the next version.
I guess after @guari 's reply, the full screen and icon shades are no longer relevant, aren't they?

Regarding the histogram, it might be tricky, because:
"raw" space is a linear space, which gathers the entire data inside - so the histogram basically doesn't have any meaning until you pass it through gamma (like sRGB gamma) which, in simple words, stretches the image and adds contrast (and the image is converted to 8-bit). Since the process above happens in your editing software, the sole one who controls the histogram is you :)
BUT, I can implement a "clipping" indicator. i.e.: after a photo is taken (not possible in real time), the over-saturated (which are over saturated in the raw itself) areas will be mark on the preview (or at least for the beginning - a warning red dot will appear). The same will happen with black clipped (value of zero) areas. What do you think about it? I guess the need for histogram is to determine whether the image is clipped or not.
Keep in mind that it might decrease performance dramatically.

The saving dialog is from historical reasons... I agree that it should be removed and replaced with a shutter effect. But how to keep new users informed regarding the path of the saved image?

The auto focus in my device sucks, so I thought the tapping way should replace the auto focus (do you mean continuous? or just auto on click?). I can add this option...

Reactions: guari
Thank you very much for accepting the suggestions :D

1- Don't add the histogram or clipping indicator for the sake of performance.

2- About the save dialog, how about making an options list that has Settings, About App, and Help.
Settings will have some options like change the path of saved images.
About will have some info about you and the app.
Help will have some info like ISO and the default saving path.

3- I meant by auto focus, when you point the camera into something, it will try to focus on it without user involved. with auto focus, there will be a manual taping focus too. so, manual by taping and auto together at the sametime.

4- Shutter effect is a must.

5- Don't you think that auto exposure is not working correctly, or I think it's just slow.

6- For some reason the focus don't work sometimes and I need to restart the app again to make it work.

I'll be waiting for the next version :D :D

Thank you very much for accepting the suggestions :D

1- Don't add the histogram or clipping indicator for the sake of performance.

2- About the save dialog, how about making an options list that has Settings, About App, and Help.
Settings will have some options like change the path of saved images.
About will have some info about you and the app.
Help will have some info like ISO and the default saving path.

3- I meant by auto focus, when you point the camera into something, it will try to focus on it without user involved. with auto focus, there will be a manual taping focus too. so, manual by taping and auto together at the sametime.

4- Shutter effect is a must.

5- Don't you think that auto exposure is not working correctly, or I think it's just slow.

6- For some reason the focus don't work sometimes and I need to restart the app again to make it work.

I'll be waiting for the next version :D :D

Sorry it took to me so long to reply - busy days :)

1. Thinking of it again, a good implemented clipping indicator shouldn't decrease performance noticeably. So I'll try it.
2. I'll probably implement it as overlay dialog to overcome the lag of going to different screen of settings and getting back to camera, like the lag with Miui camera settings.
3. So you are talking about continuous focus. I can add this option, but the focusing magnified screen won't be available. In my opinion, the continuous focus in my phone is just too jumpy.
4. Will be done
5. Xiaomi sensor drivers... nothing I can do about this in the API level
6. Could you please send, via private message, a video showing the problem?

geotagging please! that'd be the icing on the raw cake!
Working on that. There is an option in the exif tags inside the dng to add location.
The question is where can you see these tags? Or, in other words, which raw decoding app shows you the location?
Because otherwise I can just save with the file another ".info" file with the same name, which contains the location.
Please guide how do you see it

Working on that. There is an option in the exif tags inside the dng to add location.
The question is where can you see these tags? Or, in other words, which raw decoding app shows you the location?
Because otherwise I can just save with the file another ".info" file with the same name, which contains the location.
Please guide how do you see it

I believe most raw processing apps should preserve the EXIF data when you convert them to jpg or tiff. If they do not, they really should be. Its more seamless to have the geotagging info embedded in the file imo. I've used a few different tools that can read raw, such as Adobe Bridge, Adobe Photoshop, Photomatix.

Sorry it took to me so long to reply - busy days :)

1. Thinking of it again, a good implemented clipping indicator shouldn't decrease performance noticeably. So I'll try it.
2. I'll probably implement it as overlay dialog to overcome the lag of going to different screen of settings and getting back to camera, like the lag with Miui camera settings.
3. So you are talking about continuous focus. I can add this option, but the focusing magnified screen won't be available. In my opinion, the continuous focus in my phone is just too jumpy.
4. Will be done
5. Xiaomi sensor drivers... nothing I can do about this in the API level
6. Could you please send, via private message, a video showing the problem?

3- Continuous focus would be a good add-on. what I'm thinking about it this:
  1. You open the app.
  2. The phone will try to auto focus.
  3. If it worked or not, by touching the screen, you'll overwrite the auto continuous focus and change it to manual.
  4. after taking the photo, auto focus will be working again just like points 2 and 3.

6- Sorry, it don't happen all the time, so I can't get it on video.