Beginner questions: K20 12.1.2.0 (CN) to stable Xiaomi.eu 12.1.2.0 (Cleared. Successfully flashed)

kogar

Members
Mar 26, 2021
since the current MIUI 12.1.x (CN) upgrade to android 11 seems to disable GMS on china phone versions i need an alternative to have functioning google service framework and up to date stable rom

from what i get from https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...ctly-miui-11-on-mi9t-9-9-26-to-20-1-21.52539/
i have to unlock and flash twrp.

1. first question (after unlocking and letting the unlock wipe my phone):
Does this https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomimi9t.html (twrp-3.5.1_9-0-davinci.img 64M 2021-03-13 17:19:21 EST) already work on an android 11 phone or do i have to first make a downgrade to an Android 10 (CN) MIUI 12.0.6 before i should flash twrp?
or can i flash that twrp -> factory reset -> reboot into twrp -> install xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11 -> wipe dalvik cache/cache -> reboot into twrp -> reboot into normal system?

2. second question: since bootloader needs to be kept unlocked is magisk directly needed to flash after installing xiaomi.eu or can it be installed at a later point if some apps are not working properly because of safetynet and similar checks?

3. question: is xiaomi.eu that much different from the standard global miui? I could live with the few unused china apps. Already did with the native china rom version.
Would unlocking and flashing the global mi9t rom onto the k20 and keeping the bootloader unlocked work? Anything that would only work with xiaomi.eu?

Edit: 2021.05.19
After a day of installing most apps and backups again i now have a basic running Xiaomi.eu 12.1.2.0 version and can use google services framework again.

A few post down is my flashing sequence and notes that could be helpful to flash

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the Xiaomi.eu community forum! :)

1. The latest official TWRP supports Android 11 without issue so you can use it.

IMPORTANT: Steps to install & boot Xiaomi.eu ROM => Flash that TWRP -> Format data (in "Wipe" menu => "Format Data" button) -> Reboot into TWRP -> Install Xiaomi.eu ROM (I really advise to use Weekly ROM (read this) but it's your choice) -> Reboot to system when it's done. First boot takes 10~15 minutes.

2. Magisk is not needed and can be installed when you want => https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...stalling-android-11-update.60181/#post-594671 ;)

3. Xiaomi.eu ROMs are debloated ROMs, with ad-free system apps, also using "MIUI Contacts and dialer" app instead of the Google "Phone" app and many other things!

:D

1. Thanks will try it when i get the chance to start unlocking my phone. Currently can't even unlock since i have got no mobile sim card internet :(
(Reason ->
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
)
Since i could live with the china rom up to now i'll first try the stable version until i am missing something or i hear of any big useful feature for me in the weekly build.

2. Good to know. The less i have to do at the beginning the less errors i can make.

3. Good enough reason for me. Already got used to the miui dialer and contacts.

yay i could unlock my bootloader. But now i am stuck in TWRP
I have used
Download TWRP installer. Includes TWRP version (3.3.1-2):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xqf8k1c80qzn3d6/twrp-3.3.1-2-davinci-fix.zip/file
from
and exchanged the TWRP with the latest stable

twrp-3.5.2_9-0-davinci.img

64M

2021-04-05 00:28:09 EDT
from https://dl.twrp.me/davinci/
Then executed "Flash_TWRP.bat"

Currently i have got a bootloop into TWRP and i am stuck on making a backup/copying the rom onto the device.
TWRP seems to have no write access. When i try to make a backup i get the following error message

[BACKUP STARTED]
* Backup Folder :/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/devicenumber/current date
Can not create 'data/media/0/TWRP' folder /Required key not available).
Failed to make backup folder.

Is there someone who can help me?

since it is my first flash on this devices i thought it would be good to make a backup. But i am still stuck on bootloop TWRP and can not copy any file to the device
Previously i was stuck with Rom version K20 12.1.2.0 (CN)

Now i am trying to copy/install "xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11.zip"
"adb push xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11.zip /tmp/" does not seem to work

adb: error: failed to copy 'xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11.zip' to '/tmp/xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11.zip': remote write failed: No space left on device

Ok i'll try your recommended TWRP from geoanto555 and maybe other TWRP(OrangeFox) in about an hour. Currently slow internet
What would be the next steps if i can copy the xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11.zip file to the device?
No backup? Just Format data (in "Wipe" menu => "Format Data" button) -> Reboot into TWRP -> Install Xiaomi.eu ROM ?

Just Format data (in "Wipe" menu => "Format Data" button) -> Reboot into TWRP -> Install Xiaomi.eu ROM ?
Exactly. ;)

EDIT: You can try to create a TWRP backup but if it's not working, install the ROM. :)

But you can use "SwiftBackup" app to backup/restore apps by example. ;)

Tried the other TWRP same error. But i think i got to the next step. Reflashed original TWRP 3.5.2 again
Made a really dumb user error. Forgot to Wipe - Format data(therefore remove encryption and gain write access).
Afterwards reboot into TWRP again and i can make a backup. Thought "Format data" would also remove the other data that can be made into an backup.

Will edit this post after i copied my backup onto another drive and flashed Xiaomi.EU

Yay got a running Xiaomi.EU on my K20 (CN)
Now i'm letting play store reinstall most stuff it still remembers.
When everything is running as should I'll summarize my stumbling blocks aka User errors again.

Anything to remember if i want to update Xiaomi.EU? I have seen that the Xiaomi updater still exists. What happens when the xiaomi updater sees an update? Under Settings MIUI (update) version it displays the xiaomi notation MIUI12 | V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM | (stable) as currently installed.
Directly under My Device it displays MIUI by xiaomi.eu 12.1.2 Stable

Last edited:
Anything to remember if i want to update Xiaomi.EU? I have seen that the Xiaomi updater still exists. What happens when the xiaomi updater sees an update? Under Settings MIUI (update) version it displays the xiaomi notation MIUI12 | V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM | (stable) as currently installed.
Directly under My Device it displays MIUI by xiaomi.eu 12.1.2 Stable
So what's your current TWRP now?

You can use the Updater app in Xiaomi.eu ROMs without issue on your Redmi K20. ;)

EDIT: It's now the Xiaomi.eu updater. ^^

You can use the Updater app in Xiaomi.eu ROMs without issue on your Redmi K20
Good to know.

Currently i am using the latest stable TWRP "twrp-3.5.2_9-0-davinci.img" from https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomimi9t.html
But i think it doesn't matter if it is the latest or another TWRP.
My user error was that i had not made a "Wipe Data" after the Factory Reset/Bootloader Unlock. TWRP couldn't write on the original(encrypted) MIUI Rom data space. After "Wipe Data" i easily made a backup and copied xiaomi.eu to the phone Data space

Well so far so good. All play store reinstall will take a while. Maybe tomorrow i'll know what is working and if something is not directly working

Reactions: Poney70
For now everything seems to work.
Widevine Security Level is L3. But i think that was also the case on the original K20 12.1.2 CN rom. I think it changed since Android 11 or MIUI 12. I seem to remember that the K20 had at a time Widevine Security Level L1

Now to my flashing sequence. Things that may need few extra steps or are important in bold.
Many steps are taken and condensed from this post https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...ctly-miui-11-on-mi9t-9-9-26-to-20-1-21.52539/

Preparation steps:
For ease of use i used this TWRP package http://www.mediafire.com/file/xqf8k1c80qzn3d6/twrp-3.3.1-2-davinci-fix.zip/ file from https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...ctly-miui-11-on-mi9t-9-9-26-to-20-1-21.52539/ . From the extracted package i exchanged the "TWRP.img" with the latest stable TWRP (3.9.2) for my phone from https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomimi9t.html
You can look them up here https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-12-0-12-1-12-2-12-5-stable-release.56191/
  • Remember your Wifi password for first boot after Bootloader Unlock/Factory Reset. Needed to log into Mi Account (After Bootloader Unlock double check if it is really unlocked).
  • Check that MiAccount is binded with the currently used phone number. Seems to be needed for the second half of Unlocking the bootloader.
  • make a backup/copy of all your important data to another harddrive/pc

1. Bootloader unlock
  • Recheck that my MI Account is available and set in the phone.
  • Have an active SIM card with data/internet available that can access the xiaomi servers. Damn coup
  • have active Developer Options for the following substeps
    • activate "USB-Debugging", "OEM-Unlock" and add your active logged in Mi-Account by "Add Account and device" in "Mi Unlock Status"
      • Here Little Stumble block. Got some error message that i can't exactly remember. Somewhat like Error: Can't add account try again in a few Minutes. -> In my case i needed to logout and relogin the Mi Account on my Phone. Then i could finish this step.
  • Check that you have a current backup of all your Data and "USB-Debugging" is active
  • Start miflash unlocker (in my case miflash_unlock-en-5.5.224.24) on your PC
  • Reboot phone into fastboot mode (Press and hold Volume down and Power button) and then connect to PC with "mi unlocker"
    • double check again that you have made a current backup of all your important files and EndToEnd encrypted device bounded chats(For example signal, viber)
  • miunlocker should show a device with a "locked" text in a column. Next step will "Factory Reset" the Phone if there is no waiting time like in my case. Press Unlock button or F6 to start Unlocking without warning. In my case it was immediately. Maybe since i was using my Mi Account for a longer time with the phone already? Afterwards i got a factory resetted Phone that is showing the first setup infos in chinese.
  • Reenter minimal first Setup details. Wifi is needed to connect Mi Account.
    • You are going to see a chinese message from Xiaomi with 2 options "Activate this device" (first button) and "WI-FI settings" (second button) .
      • First enter wifi details after selecting the second button
      • Second enter Mi Account passwort. (In my case the Mi account seems to be detected by the Sim card phone number and the user/MiAccount can not be changed)
  • You should be inside the fresh MIUI system and can input minimal infos (Language selection and so on). I skipped most steps. Reactivate Developer Options
    • activate "USB-Debugging", "OEM-Unlock" inside Developer Options
    • double check that Mi Unlock Status is displaying Unlocked state in the Developer Options. Everytime during Boot/Reboot you will now see an unlocked icon at the top middle part of the phone screen. When it is showing the "Redmi" name just before the MIUI Logo
2. Flash TWRP (further helpful tips on https://miui.blog/redmi-k20/flash-xiaomi-eu-rom-redmi-k20-pro-mi-9t-pro/ ) and install Rom
  • go into fastboot mode and flash TWRP
    • In my case extracted "twrp-3.3.1-2-davinci-fix.zip" into a root folder of the pc
    • exchanged twrp.img with the latest stable TWRP (renamed to twrp.img)
    • connect phone (in fastboot mode) with pc
    • run "Flash_TWRP.bat" (right click and run it as administrator. optional? Just wanted to be sure that nothing interferes)
      • follow the comments. After continuing two times this is finished. Should run only for a few seconds each
  • reboot into recovery mode and TWRP should load (but has no writeaccess to the original old encrypted MIUI data partition. So no backup of data partition possible. But this is uninteresting after a factory reset. Normal reboot into system is not possible for now. Will always reboot into TWRP)
  • directly after booting into TWRP
    • activate modification access "Swipe to allow system modification"
    • click on "Wipe" than on "Format Data" to gain write access on the data partition. No advanced wipe or any other wipe needed.
    • going back to "main menu" and reboot into recovery/TWRP. (Reboot optional?)
    • optional make a backup of everything else besides Data partition. Maybe helpful in case some future custom rom/twrp flash is making some bigger errors.
      • From "main menu" - "Backup" - select all partition and make backup
    • If not still connected, connect phone with PC and copy the xiaomi.eu rom ("xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.1.2.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11.zip") onto the device. (Without previous "Format Data" we would not have write access. Maybe TWRP has an option to decrypt and mount the data partition, but data wipe was easier)
    • while connected you can copy your optional TWRP backup.
    • Go back to Main Menu and select Install. Select the copied rom zip file. Confirm by swiping "Swipe to confirm flash"
    • Go back to Main menu and reboot into System. (Seems like there was no need for a wipe of cache/dalvik)
Be happy with a freshly installed Xiaomi.EU system. The first boot took about ~5 minutes for me and it seemed stuck on the "MIUI" Logo. So no worries on the first slow boot.
Now you can setup your initial system with your google account and mi account. The rest is just your usual android app installation and optionally copying your important files back. If available your EndToEnd encrypted Chat backups can now also be reimported.

Just read about safetynet again. Installed GooglePay and at least on starting i am not getting any notification about anything failing. Seems that safetynet is working for stable rom versions despite unlocked bootloader and without magisk and no rooting for now

Last edited:
i have Redmi K20 China rom. Wanna change to EU rom. Downloaded the EU rom fastboot. When i opened the extracted file in my computer, there is no "WINDOWS bat file to click". Please help. Instructions above seems very complicated. Thank you very much in advance.

i have Redmi K20 China rom. Wanna change to EU rom. Downloaded the EU rom fastboot. When i opened the extracted file in my computer, there is no "WINDOWS bat file to click". Please help. Instructions above seems very complicated. Thank you very much in advance.
Strange you got a EU fastboot rom for this old phone model.
You have to make use of TWRP because latest EU rom (stable or weekly) are for and only usable via TWRP.
Simplest way is to get TWRP and boot it or install it from your computer and from that to format data and flash the zip rom.
And you get set.

Reactions: dannyzamora
Strange you got a EU fastboot rom for this old phone model.
You have to make use of TWRP because latest EU rom (stable or weekly) are for and only usable via TWRP.
Simplest way is to get TWRP and boot it or install it from your computer and from that to format data and flash the zip rom.
And you get set.

i downloaded thru here, this website. Inside the MIUI 12 STABLE ROMS above clicklable folder. i'm really confused on how to go about this.

It only seems complicated since i nearly wrote every step. There is no WINDOWS bat file. the bat file which you have read about could be the "Flash_TWRP.bat" from "http://www.mediafire.com/file/xqf8k1c80qzn3d6/twrp-3.3.1-2-davinci-fix.zip/"
This i have written under my preparation steps under the point "Get TWRP" and 2. Flash TWRP follows after the first point bootloader unlocking. For ease of use i used this TWRP package [ . . . ]

Before you do anything else please read the preparation steps again.

Reactions: dannyzamora