Camera framerate fix for 32gb Mi2s

shrhtnd.in

Members
Jun 19, 2013
This bug was posted on github months ago by another and I but Ivan seems to ignore it. I've asked M1cha about a possible fix but he's busy just trying the merge the camera driver into his kernel. If any experienced hackers here can inform me, is this framerate limit a ROM or kernel issue? It seems the android hal code for camera parameters limit the range between 10-25 fps. Could this limit be changed without asking Ivan or Xiaomi since the Qualcomm driver code is closed source? It's pretty annoying to record 22.5fps video (to the point of selling this phone).

I hope that someone could make somo optimisation for the camera because it realy sucks especialy with moving scenes.

Reactions: Dizplay
This bug was posted on github months ago by another and I but Ivan seems to ignore it. I've asked M1cha about a possible fix but he's busy just trying the merge the camera driver into his kernel. If any experienced hackers here can inform me, is this framerate limit a ROM or kernel issue? It seems the android hal code for camera parameters limit the range between 10-25 fps. Could this limit be changed without asking Ivan or Xiaomi since the Qualcomm driver code is closed source? It's pretty annoying to record 22.5fps video (to the point of selling this phone).

With CineDroid I can capture video up to 25 fps, unfortunately audio recording is broken :(. to bad because the program is amazing and has lots of cool features.

With CineDroid I can capture video up to 25 fps, unfortunately audio recording is broken :(. to bad because the program is amazing and has lots of cool features.
Haha, this is my app. I first developed it on a HTC One S which allowed me to lock framerates. The version you're using is when I tried to force the framerate with the capture rate. It doesn't allow audio to be recorded as it's a mode used for timelapse.

r u sure about the framerate limitation? i'm using the 32GB mi2s and i have no problem recording 30fps video even in HDR mode. just go in the camera setting and toggle Movie Solid: OFF.

r u sure about the framerate limitation? i'm using the 32GB mi2s and i have no problem recording 30fps video even in HDR mode. just go in the camera setting and toggle Movie Solid: OFF.

30fps only works in HDR mode. In normal mode, with good light the framerate averages at 22.25fps. They're plenty of users who report this issue. Record a video without HDR and look at the media info in the gallery player. MXPlayer confirms framerate as well.

@shrhtnd.in
Any chance releasing a new version for xiaomi, that fixes the audio issue?
I believe I went back to normal recording that fixed audio in my latest update. Honestly I haven't looked at my code in a few months now since the device fragmentation with camera functions has kinda disheartened my drive for this type of app on Android. Only devices with the Omnivision 8mp f2.0 camera works fully (One S/One X, Mi2/Mi2s 16gb). Most Android device cameras have pure auto or capped framerate modes which defeats the purpose for a cinema style camera app. Combined with various quality autofocus modules on the sensors, this app relies on too many hardware components to be "perfect".

I believe I went back to normal recording that fixed audio in my latest update.

Yesterday I received my Mi2s 32gb. Cinedroid is undoubtedly a great app (fps bug is solved), but no matter which settings I tried, I could capture audio. Is there something I'm doing wrong? (version 1.0.9.2)

Yeah, the problem is from the timelapse mode I'm using. My next plan is to scrape this app in it's current form and rewrite it using a custom video codec based purely off the preview frames. Once audio works the framerate will go back to the B.S. 22.5fps. I just need to stick to devices that at least have 30-60fps in 1080p at least. Android's camera api is weak at best and I'm having trouble finding how to hack the camera using v4l.

Reactions: jauling and deini
qcom uses it's own v4l camera HAL and drivers. And they are closed source.
Because they make problems with 4.3 upgrade. I decided to write our own v4l drivers.
However to increase the framerate this is not needed I think because these values are defined in kernel drivers.

I am so sorry but i have still this problem on my mi2s 32 g.
Video fps is equivalent 22.25.
I tried to set up MIUI v6 4.9.26 Special Edition (miui.su)
and wiui 4.8.29 but nothing changed.
Please help me because i can't find any solutions.

Last edited:
When the switch from TDB to GRUB is done and we have CM12 I'll try to port the open Nexus4 camera HAL.
It will most likely break compatibility with MIUICamera, but thx to the openess we can fix up things later then.

I hope we'll be able to fix framerates, then too.