Can't Boot into TWRP

Klopek

Members
Jan 25, 2022
Hello,

I'm trying to move from the stock MIUI 12.5.2 to the 12.5 Xiaomi.eu stable release. My phone is a Redmi Note 8T. I've never done this before and unfortunately I've reached a stumbling block in that when I attempt to boot TWRP (using the Platform Tools while in fastboot) the phone will almost immediately display 'Redmi' (as per the typical booting sequence) and either hang there or reach the 'MIUI' graphics and hang there instead. The phone can be rebooted by holding the power button, after which it will boot to the official MIUI 12.5 ROM as per normal operation.

I don't have much experience with this so I'm immediately at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this to enable me to boot into TWRP and attempt to install the xiaomi.eu rom. To confirm:

I have unlocked the phone (now displays an open padlock at the top during the boot sequence)
I have tried to use several TWRP releases for wilow without any change to the behaviour
USB Debugging is enabled
The 'fastboot devices' command confirms that the phone is visible to the PC

Is anybody able to help me, please?

Hello,

I'm trying to move from the stock MIUI 12.5.2 to the 12.5 Xiaomi.eu stable release. My phone is a Redmi Note 8T. I've never done this before and unfortunately I've reached a stumbling block in that when I attempt to boot TWRP (using the Platform Tools while in fastboot) the phone will almost immediately display 'Redmi' (as per the typical booting sequence) and either hang there or reach the 'MIUI' graphics and hang there instead. The phone can be rebooted by holding the power button, after which it will boot to the official MIUI 12.5 ROM as per normal operation.

I don't have much experience with this so I'm immediately at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this to enable me to boot into TWRP and attempt to install the xiaomi.eu rom. To confirm:

I have unlocked the phone (now displays an open padlock at the top during the boot sequence)
I have tried to use several TWRP releases for wilow without any change to the behaviour
USB Debugging is enabled
The 'fastboot devices' command confirms that the phone is visible to the PC

Is anybody able to help me, please?
Normally you just have to use the command
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
and then boot into recovery with vol up and power button.

Normally you just have to use the command
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
and then boot into recovery with vol up and power button.
Oh, thank you. None of the video guides mentioned holding the vol up button. I was following the instructions on the ROM page which said to enter the command that you mentioned and then the boot one, which led me to the loop above.

However, this appears to be a one time fix. TWRP does not remain on the device. I think my storage might be encrypted? TWRP displays the internal disk as being 0MB. I had already removed my PIN/lock settings, as advised within various guides, but even after enabling the PIN I can find no way for TWRP to prompt for credentials. Pressing the menu button in the bottom right shows 'E:Unable to decrypt FBE device'

Last edited:
Oh, thank you. None of the video guides mentioned holding the vol up button. I was following the instructions on the ROM page which said to enter the command that you mentioned and then the boot one, which led me to the loop above.

However, this appears to be a one time fix. TWRP does not remain on the device. I think my storage might be encrypted? TWRP displays the internal disk as being 0MB. I had already removed my PIN/lock settings, as advised within various guides, but even after enabling the PIN I can find no way for TWRP to prompt for credentials. Pressing the menu button in the bottom right shows 'E:Unable to decrypt FBE device'
The Reason why it gets replaced is, because the Stock MIUI replaces TWRP automatically after a reboot.
Before you switch to the Xiaomi EU rom, make sure to backup your files.
Since you have the Redmi Note 8T codename willow
xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote8T_V12.5.2.0.RCXMIXM_v12-11.zip
is the one for your device :)
Back up your things, Format Data in TWRP and clear Dalvik/ART Cache and Cache and then reboot into Recovery again.
After that, the internal storage should be available and with that, get the zip file onto your internal storage, flash the zip, do a Format Data once again and then you are good to go :)