Invalid FAILED (Error reading sparse file) fastboot: error: Command failed fastboot: error: Device does not support slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreso123

Members
Nov 23, 2021
Just wanted to post this in case of anyone else having some issues updating their Xiaomi device to MIUI 13 (I have an Mi 11 Ultra).
When I tried installing the new MIUI 13 fastboot update I got the following error in cmd:

Sending sparse 'super' 7/9 (781156 KB) FAILED (Error reading sparse file)
fastboot: error: Command failed
fastboot: error: Device does not support slots

It seemed to fail on this step specifically and then the terminal closed and the phone was still in fastboot.
Running the windows_fastboot_update_rom again just opened a new cmd window that closed itself right away.
After restarting the device into fastboot I was able to run the updater again, but it kept failing on the same step and gave the same error message.
I just kept repeating this and on the 4th try it worked. So I am not sure what is causing this but I thought it might help someone.
I have used the weekly updates for about a year now and every update worked on the first try except for this time so it gave me a little scare.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info!
Yes the ROM works fine so that is great. Just thought if someone else also gets stuck with this issue that they might solve it by retrying to run the updater a few times after exiting and entering the fastboot again.

Was not sure where else to post this so hope here is fine.

have the same issue here everytime i do an update ROM fails on 1 of the Sparse 'super' stages, i use to think i'll have to do a clean install everytime but multiple tries and it seems to work one after abit.

has it got anything to do with Magisk and the boot.img shall i unroot first maybe?

I have this error i now my device is not recognized on pc when in fastboot mode. Fastboot on phone looks diferent than before.

Everything is fixed. Connect phone to pc again and it's recognized as fastboot device.
Run the windows_fastboot_update_rom several times until installation is finished.

Have the same issue with 22-12-26-27-28.67758 weekly on my Mi 11 ultra which also has weekly installed.
Everytime I enter the command windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat it stuck at:
"Sending sparse 'super' 1/7 (777724 KB) FAILED (Error reading sparse file)
Rebooting
"
It does not reboot and I have to reboot device to fastboot myself to be able to try it again. But it doesnt work..

Solution: USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0

Last edited:
Have the same issue with 22-12-26-27-28.67758 weekly on my Mi 11 ultra which also has weekly installed.
Everytime I enter the command windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat it stuck at:
"Sending sparse 'super' 1/7 (777724 KB) FAILED (Error reading sparse file)
Rebooting
"
It does not reboot and I have to reboot device to fastboot myself to be able to try it again. But it doesnt work..
Might be file corruption, might worth redownloading.

I have ryzen 9 cpu (5900 laptop) usb 3. Fasboot updating work well with mi 11 ultra.

Found a strange solution : rename the rom folder to something short ( like x instead of xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK40Pro_MI11i_V14.0.3.0.TKKCNXM_v14-13.zip)
Windows in dos has a limited number of characters for path ...

Old school....

Found a strange solution : rename the rom folder to something short ( like x instead of xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK40Pro_MI11i_V14.0.3.0.TKKCNXM_v14-13.zip)
Windows in dos has a limited number of characters for path ...

Old school....
i dont know whether it's just restarting it for the third time, or renaming it, but it actually worked. unbelievable. thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.