[GUIDE] Flashing rom Using Miflash Mi2/3

grondinm

Members
Jul 24, 2011
Hey guys This is my first guide so be gentle. Alot of people where asking about odin equivalent/Fasboot/Miflash help so i took the plunge and figured it out. Here goes.

FIRST DISCLAIMER: ONLY USE THIS IF YOU HAVE NO ACCESS TO RECOVERY AND USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I HAVE FLASHED THIS WAY TWICE AND IT WORKED FINE.

First what you will need:
1. Miflash tool from here http://bigota.d.miui.com/tools/MiPhone2.11.6.exe
2. A Mi2 Fastboot package from here Download the Miflash package you want. (thread is in chinese but google translate is your friend here. Just make sure you get Mi2/Mi2s package)

So once you have those 2 packages extract them to your computer (To the root of your C drive or in a folder path containing no spaces) and start up the Miflash tool allowing it to install the drivers. After it is open you can browse to the location where you extracted the fastboot .exe package you downloaded.

Before doing anything else you need to change the name of the fastboot script the tool will use. Choices are:

1.flash_all_wipe.bat:
clears all the data of the built-in storage, clear all user data, please be careful!

2.flash_all_except_storage.bat:
will erase all user data does not clear the built-in storage data.

3.flash_all_except_data_storage.bat:
does not clear the built-in storage data does not clear user data

I would recommended using the flash_all_except_storage.bat since this will wipe and flash everything but the virtual sdcard.

to set the script press the little arrow next to the browse button and click on advanced
menu.png

in the new window enter the name of the fastboot script you wish to use like so
advanced.png

Now you need to get your device into fastbootmode by turning it off then holding the vol-down button and power button until you see the fastboot logo. plug in your phone using USB cable and wait for driver installation to finish and click refresh. Your device should show up in the list. All that's left to do is press flash and wait for it to finish. It will reboot automaticly when it's done. Should take about 2 min or so.

Now you will have a fresh "stock" rom.

Hope this helps someone. Thanx for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate! Very useful for those people out there that have a semi-bricked device! Oh and very well written, especially for a first-time guide.

Reactions: grondinm
great! can you test it that if you cant boot to recovery or fast boot then can it still work ?
i mean power off your phone and then connect to PC to flash with out putting it to fast boot.

Yeah I would but I still need to get the courage to install the miuiandroid rom. I`m just really scared of bricking it.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

great! can you test it that if you cant boot to recovery or fast boot then can it still work ?
i mean power off your phone and then connect to PC to flash with out putting it to fast boot.

I shall give that a shot. Maybe only tomorrow tho. Will update after I try.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: hadron
So with the device turned off i plugged in to usb. It started charging of course. I opened up Miflash and it could not find my phone. Looks like if you can't get into fastboot then you are out of luck.

So with the device turned off i plugged in to usb. It started charging of course. I opened up Miflash and it could not find my phone. Looks like if you can't get into fastboot then you are out of luck.
I was afraid of that! Anyway thanks for testing.
hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

having a prob flashing using miflash. my device is bricked, can only access recovery,both system partitions dont boot.. just gets stuck on the MI logo. tried this method and getting the following errors.. see zip file for error log.. HELP MEEEEEEE!

Attachments

• Error log.zip
    221.5 KB · Views: 831
having a prob flashing using miflash. my device is bricked, can only access recovery,both system partitions dont boot.. just gets stuck on the MI logo. tried this method and getting the following errors.. see zip file for error log.. HELP MEEEEEEE!

A little more info. What happened that made you want to use Miflash. What was the last thing you did on your device before it stopped booting. I don't understand that error log. i assume it came from miflash tho. You did have the device in fastboot mode right. not recovery?

okay, i changed i few values in my build.prop. when i rebooted it gets stuck on mi logo. same happens when i boot into system 2. ive followed your guide and got every step right. drivers install. MI flash recognizes my device,but when i click flash i get that error. any ideas??

I am sorry but i have no idea what that error is saying. it does not even look like an error it's just giberish. I never had any issues and i followed the steps i gave twice. I will try to dig around...maybe post this on the official miui forum as well.

Reactions: Caztiel
Try Wipe Data/Cache from Recovery, if you didn't do that.

okay, i changed i few values in my build.prop. when i rebooted it gets stuck on mi logo. same happens when i boot into system 2. ive followed your guide and got every step right. drivers install. MI flash recognizes my device,but when i click flash i get that error. any ideas??

Solution is very simple
move the ROM folder to root of your drive and select all files again
it require the folder path without spaces. space in your user name folder is creating problem
@grondinm please add this to your Guide

Solution is very simple
move the ROM folder to root of your drive and select all files again
it require the folder path without spaces. space in your user name folder is creating problem
@grondinm please add this to your Guide

That is a very simple solution. I will add that the path must contain no spaces. How did that log indicate this to you tho?

That is a very simple solution. I will add that the path must contain no spaces. How did that log indicate this to you tho?
"Error: cannot load C:Users/Brainwave" full user name is "Brainwave Projects"

well well. No wonder i was opening the file not with word and all was seeing was a bunch of of random letters and numbers not the image...now i understand. Sorry about that. i could have solved this if only i had opened that file with word.

This is what i saw http://imgur.com/btXsT

OP updated to say to extract to root of drive C or a folder with not spaces.

Now i feel like an idiot :oops:

OP updated to include a thread on the Chinese MIUI forum that has all version of android ever for the Mi2 in both fastboot and recovery packages.

Hey guys This is my first guide so be gentle. Alot of people where asking about odin equivalent/Fasboot/Miflash help so i took the plunge and figured it out. Here goes.

FIRST DISCLAIMER: ONLY USE THIS IF YOU HAVE NO ACCESS TO RECOVERY AND USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I HAVE FLASHED THIS WAY TWICE AND IT WORKED FINE.

First what you will need:
1. Miflash tool from here http://zt.xiaomi.com/bbszt/rom/miflash/MiFlash20120723.zip
2. A Mi2 Fastboot package from here (this gets updated every week) Download the wire brush package under the millet phone 2 section.

So once you have those 2 packages extract them to your computer (To the root of your C drive or in a folder path containing no spaces) and start up the Miflash tool allowing it to install the drivers. After it is open you can browse to the location where you extracted the fastboot .exe package you downloaded.

Before doing anything else you need to change the name of the fastboot script the tool will use. Choices are:

flash_all_except_storage.bat
flash_all_wipe.bat
flash_all_except_data_storage.bat

I would recommended using the flash_all_except_storage.bat since this will wipe and flash everything but the virtual sdcard.

to set the script press the little arrow next to the browse button and click on advanced
View attachment 5045

in the new window enter the name of the fastboot script you wish to use like so
View attachment 5046

Now you need to get your device into fastbootmode by turning it off then holding the vol-down button and power button until you see the fastboot logo. plug in your phone using USB cable and wait for driver installation to finish and click refresh. Your device should show up in the list. All that's left to do is press flash and wait for it to finish. It will reboot automaticly when it's done. Should take about 2 min or so.

Now you will have a fresh "stock" rom.

Hope this helps someone. Thanx for reading.

If you are looking for an older version see this thread and pick the wire brush package you want.

Mate , thank you so much. You a lifesaver... I had my Mi2 half bricked , how ? you will ask... well I was stupid enough to install Native 4.1 on both systems and touch screen did not work , I was stuck ....but thanks to you I am up and running again (3.1.25)

cheers mate

Cant thank you enough ...!!!