[Guide] How to install ViPER4Android

zgfg12

Members
Apr 27, 2021
This is a guide for installing Magisk module ViPER4Android FX v2.7.2.1 (shortly V4A FX)
[screenshot _a]

Prepared and tested on Mi 11 Lite 5G NE (Lisa), with Xiaomi.eu Weekly 22.8.26 (MIUI 13/A12).
However, I made it first similarly to work on the same phone but with the stock MIUI 12.5.8 (A11):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ndroid-10-11-12-devices.4213647/post-86870983

I use Magisk Canary 25203 (latest at the moment), but it should work the same way for any Magisk v24 or v25.
However, Magisk installation is out-of-scope for this guide

There are good chance that this method could work for some other Xiaomi phones (like Mi 11, Mi 11 Ultra and so)

Anyway, all changes are systemless - once you uninstall or disable the module (and reboot), all changes will be gone.
Hence no risk to try

Before trying this guide please disable all your other audio modules - like Audio Modification Library (AML), JamesDSP, etc

Once you finish with the successfully installed V4A, you can install/enable then your other audio modules - but whenever you run more than one audio module, please be aware that you will also need to install/enable the AML then)
[screenshot _i]

1) For the beginning, download and install v4afx.apk (the original V4A app from V4A FX v2.7.2.1):

Run the app - it will complain that V4A drivers are not found. It will ask to 'install' the drivers and to reboot - proceed as it asks
[screenshot _b]

Alternatively, download and install V4A FX v2.7.2.1 module (from Magisk app, not from TWRP).
Reboot and you will find that V4A app was installed. Run that V4A app and proceed as explained above

2) After reboot do not open V4A app yet

Instead, use MiXPlorer now (or another root File Manager of your choice) - or reboot to TWRP/Orange Fox (and don't forget to decrypt storage) and use their built-in File Manager for the following operation

Go to the V4A module folder:
/data/adb/modules/ViPER4AndroidFX

and overwrite the existing post-fs-data.sh script you will find there by the modified one:
[screenshot _c]

3) REBOOT and test if V4A app opens now without complaining that drivers are missing (it should no more complain, at least on the Mi 11 Lite 5G NE)

In the V4A app open Settings (right-top) and enable Legacy mode
[screenshot _d]

Then check the Driver status - it must show Status: Normal (when you will play, it shall be also showing Processing: Yes).
Do not forget to enable Master Limiter for the currently playing channel (speaker, BT, headphones)
[screenshot _e]

4) From the Net, find DDC and Kernel files and copy your favorites ones into the corresponding sub-folders on
Internal storage, folder /Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.viperfx/files
[screenshots _f, _g, _h]

Configure your audio modifications and enjoy

---

Just shortly, how this tweak works:

V4A module patches the two files audio_effects.conf and audio_effects.xml and mounts them to /vendor/etc = /system/vendor/etc

That are the so called systemless changes;
System is read-only and hard changes of the corresponding two files on the System are not possible

However, MIUI now comes (at least on Lisa) with additional directories:
/data/etc/audio/sku_yupik
/data/etc/audio/sku_lahaina
/data/etc/audio/sku_shima

where each of those directories contains also the same two files audio_effects.conf and audio_effects.xml

Hence, this modified post-fs-data.sh script forces that those additional three pairs of audio_effect files would be also 'changed' - ie, mounted over with the patched ones

---

Also, there is no switching of SELinux to Permissive mode - there is no need and no use of that for V4A FX v2.7.2.1

Attachments

• _a.jpg
    _a.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 801
  • _i.jpg
    _i.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 793
  • _h.jpg
    _h.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 648
  • _g.jpg
    _g.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 649
  • _f.jpg
    _f.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 670
  • _e.jpg
    _e.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 820
  • _d.jpg
    _d.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 669
  • _c.jpg
    _c.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 682
  • _b.jpg
    _b.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 816
Last edited:
With the following mod of V4A 2.7.2.1, there is no more need to install that post-fs-data.sh (new V4A app will take care of patching the audio_effects conf and xml files in additional folders), just install the latest release from developer's GitHub project:

Last but not the least, it's (always) worth to read the Readme

64-bit V4A for Android 13, Beta v0.2.0 released:

Hi, thanks for the guide it works very well for me
Thanks

Which device and MIUI 13 or 14 please do you use?

Which version of V4A (which of my posts above)?

Just for the others to know...

PS: I'm still on MIUI 12.5 and 13 (two devices) and all three ways worked for me and I'm now using this latest 64-bit V4A beta 0.2.0

Last edited:
64-Bit V4A v0.1.0 worked for me on Xiaomi 12t pro (diting) the other methods didn't, thanks for the tutorial!

Reactions: zgfg12
Working fine version 0.3.0 here on MIUI 14.0.4 (POCO F3), I will test on 11 Lite 5G NE later

Reactions: zgfg12
On 12t Pro 64-Bit V4A (diting) the options playback gain control ,fet compressor,convolver,headphone surround,reverberation is grey, not usable! what i did wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-27-15-10-42-554_com.aam.viper4android.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-27-15-10-42-554_com.aam.viper4android.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
On 12t Pro 64-Bit V4A (diting) the options playback gain control ,fet compressor,convolver,headphone surround,reverberation is grey, not usable! what i did wrong?
If talking about V4A 64-bit Reverse Engineering, it's still WIP (Beta v0.5.0 latest), watch the progress on the GitHub:

This is a guide for installing Magisk module ViPER4Android FX v2.7.2.1 (shortly V4A FX)
[screenshot _a]

Prepared and tested on Mi 11 Lite 5G NE (Lisa), with Xiaomi.eu Weekly 22.8.26 (MIUI 13/A12).
However, I made it first similarly to work on the same phone but with the stock MIUI 12.5.8 (A11):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ndroid-10-11-12-devices.4213647/post-86870983

I use Magisk Canary 25203 (latest at the moment), but it should work the same way for any Magisk v24 or v25.
However, Magisk installation is out-of-scope for this guide

There are good chance that this method could work for some other Xiaomi phones (like Mi 11, Mi 11 Ultra and so)

Anyway, all changes are systemless - once you uninstall or disable the module (and reboot), all changes will be gone.
Hence no risk to try

Before trying this guide please disable all your other audio modules - like Audio Modification Library (AML), JamesDSP, etc

Once you finish with the successfully installed V4A, you can install/enable then your other audio modules - but whenever you run more than one audio module, please be aware that you will also need to install/enable the AML then)
[screenshot _i]

1) For the beginning, download and install v4afx.apk (the original V4A app from V4A FX v2.7.2.1):

Run the app - it will complain that V4A drivers are not found. It will ask to 'install' the drivers and to reboot - proceed as it asks
[screenshot _b]

Alternatively, download and install V4A FX v2.7.2.1 module (from Magisk app, not from TWRP).
Reboot and you will find that V4A app was installed. Run that V4A app and proceed as explained above

2) After reboot do not open V4A app yet

Instead, use MiXPlorer now (or another root File Manager of your choice) - or reboot to TWRP/Orange Fox (and don't forget to decrypt storage) and use their built-in File Manager for the following operation

Go to the V4A module folder:
/data/adb/modules/ViPER4AndroidFX

and overwrite the existing post-fs-data.sh script you will find there by the modified one:
[screenshot _c]

3) REBOOT and test if V4A app opens now without complaining that drivers are missing (it should no more complain, at least on the Mi 11 Lite 5G NE)

In the V4A app open Settings (right-top) and enable Legacy mode
[screenshot _d]

Then check the Driver status - it must show Status: Normal (when you will play, it shall be also showing Processing: Yes).
Do not forget to enable Master Limiter for the currently playing channel (speaker, BT, headphones)
[screenshot _e]

4) From the Net, find DDC and Kernel files and copy your favorites ones into the corresponding sub-folders on
Internal storage, folder /Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.viperfx/files
[screenshots _f, _g, _h]

Configure your audio modifications and enjoy

---

Just shortly, how this tweak works:

V4A module patches the two files audio_effects.conf and audio_effects.xml and mounts them to /vendor/etc = /system/vendor/etc

That are the so called systemless changes;
System is read-only and hard changes of the corresponding two files on the System are not possible

However, MIUI now comes (at least on Lisa) with additional directories:
/data/etc/audio/sku_yupik
/data/etc/audio/sku_lahaina
/data/etc/audio/sku_shima

where each of those directories contains also the same two files audio_effects.conf and audio_effects.xml

Hence, this modified post-fs-data.sh script forces that those additional three pairs of audio_effect files would be also 'changed' - ie, mounted over with the patched ones

---

Also, there is no switching of SELinux to Permissive mode - there is no need and no use of that for V4A FX v2.7.2.1
The provided links are nolonger available, Could you resend the modified post-fs-data.sh

The provided links are nolonger available, Could you resend the modified post-fs-data.sh
Use Repackaged V4A from #2 and/or 64bit Beta from post #3

They provide the same functionality and more

Please see the other posts above