Help: Rooting Xiaomi 13 Ultra (ishtar) on HyperOS

Dr.FSS

Members
Oct 22, 2023
Greetings everyone.

Yesterday I was greeted with the update prompt even though my device has an unlocked bootrom (which is strange considering Xiaomi said it won't work on unlocked devices) but I did it anyway. Device works normally plafter the update but I obviously lost root access and TWRP. I re-installed TWRP but it now shows Data partition as "encrypted" and won't show any files (can't reach Magisk to complete root). I was able to mount a folder to transfer Magisk zip file and installed it, but then phone got stuck on boot logo.

I reflashed firmware with MiFlasher and installed TWRP again, phone works normally even though it still can't see Data partition since it's encrypted. As soon as I install Magisk as a zip or from Advanced Menu on TWRP, it goes back to being stuck.

I attempted root via patching boot.img file and it didn't work, flashing a clean boot.img returns phone to normal but without root.

Any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it? When I first got the phone, I didn't have to do anything other than unlock bootloader, TWRP and Magisk. It worked like a charm before and repeating TWRP and Magisk after a monthly update didn't give these problems.

In case it matters, I'm using the Global (Taiwanese) firmware. Exact version is 1.0.1.0.UMATWXM.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

I got to pass Data partition encryption by setting up a lockscreen pin code (didn't have one) and insert it when asked by TWRP. It still shows another user (called 999 while the decrypted one is 0) that I'm not aware of nor able to decrypt. Installing Magisk afterwards still gets the phone stuck in boot logo. And I'm no longer sure which scenario was fixed by flashing boot.img since it's not working anymore and can only get phone started by re-flashing the whole firmware.

I also tried deleting all Magisk Modules from TWRP and re-install Magisk afterwards with same results, get stuck at boot logo and have to reflash whole firmware.
Attempted to install this site's ROM without formatting since I don't have nearly enough space on my laptop for a backup, didn't work as well.
Reflashing firmware as I'm writing now post this failure.

In case it helps anyone, this was solved by navigating to data/adb/ and deleting "Modules" and "Magisk" folders followed by installing Magisk.zip and wiping cache/Dalvik cache.
And to reiterate, set up a pin on your lock screen to use to decrypt user profile in TWRP recovery.

Installed all modules normally after reboot and everything works fine now.

Greetings everyone.

Yesterday I was greeted with the update prompt even though my device has an unlocked bootrom (which is strange considering Xiaomi said it won't work on unlocked devices) but I did it anyway. Device works normally plafter the update but I obviously lost root access and TWRP. I re-installed TWRP but it now shows Data partition as "encrypted" and won't show any files (can't reach Magisk to complete root). I was able to mount a folder to transfer Magisk zip file and installed it, but then phone got stuck on boot logo.

I reflashed firmware with MiFlasher and installed TWRP again, phone works normally even though it still can't see Data partition since it's encrypted. As soon as I install Magisk as a zip or from Advanced Menu on TWRP, it goes back to being stuck.

I attempted root via patching boot.img file and it didn't work, flashing a clean boot.img returns phone to normal but without root.

Any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it? When I first got the phone, I didn't have to do anything other than unlock bootloader, TWRP and Magisk. It worked like a charm before and repeating TWRP and Magisk after a monthly update didn't give these problems.

In case it matters, I'm using the Global (Taiwanese) firmware. Exact version is 1.0.1.0.UMATWXM.

Any help is deeply appreciated.
Please patch the ini boot and you will have root

I forgot about this ever since I found a solution....

Steps are basically as follows:
1- install update officially.
2- set a "pin number" for lock screen.
3- copy Magisk.zip to your phone.
4- install TWRP and reboot into recovery.
5- TWRP will say user is encrypted and asks for a password which is the pin number used for lock screen.
6- navigate to Magisk.zip and install.
7- clear cache and Dalvic.
8- reboot device.

Hope this helps anyone looking for it.