How do you change "Fastboot" versions on Xiaomi phones?

rabidsoggymoose

Members
Feb 14, 2023
I noticed that my Fastboot screen ("FASTBOOT" in orange text) doesn't look the same as other Fastboot screens (gray rabbit with a green hat and green android robot with blue "FASTBOOT") in videos that I see about my phone.

Where do phones get the actual Fastboot software from? Does it come loaded with the ROM or something?

1. It's part of the ROM.
2. The rabbit fastboot image was replaced with the orange text by Xiaomi long ago.
Ah, interesting. So is the ability to load a new ROM in BOTH Recovery and Fastboot actually kind of a safety feature?

If the ROM flashing screws up and corrupts Fastboot, you can still load a new ROM using Recovery and fix Fastboot. And if Recovery somehow gets corrupted you can still fix things using Fastboot.

Ah, interesting. So is the ability to load a new ROM in BOTH Recovery and Fastboot actually kind of a safety feature?

If the ROM flashing screws up and corrupts Fastboot, you can still load a new ROM using Recovery and fix Fastboot. And if Recovery somehow gets corrupted you can still fix things using Fastboot.
No...
Fastboot is the lowest layer that is accessible to the end-user, if it gets corrupted, your device will be hard-bricked to EDL. (Emergency Download Mode only, flashable only with an Authorized Xiaomi Account).
Flashing using recovery is just more convenient and faster, and usually safer just because you don't rely on a USB connection's stability.