I Can Only Flash Cm, Anything Miui Based Won't Boot. Help.

bt23rw

Members
Feb 5, 2017
Hello,
I recently installed TWRP on my Redmi 3 Pro.
Anything I flash beside CyanogenMod/Lineage causes bootloops, the phone never boots into the new rom, if its MIUI based.
I tried the original Xiaomi Global Stable, the Developer Beta, nothing. Even the Chinese.
Mi Logo --> 30-40 seconds of nothing --> vibration and reboot.
I tried the Xiaomi.eu rom, same exact story. Bootloops.

However, if I flash CyanogenMod everything goes smoothly and the phone boots into its new rom.

Why? I really want to get back to MIUI =(

I am flashing zips, of course, not fastboot imgs or something.

Any imput would be much appreciated, thank you very much guys.

Hello,
I recently installed TWRP on my Redmi 3 Pro.
Anything I flash beside CyanogenMod/Lineage causes bootloops, the phone never boots into the new rom, if its MIUI based.
I tried the original Xiaomi Global Stable, the Developer Beta, nothing. Even the Chinese.
Mi Logo --> 30-40 seconds of nothing --> vibration and reboot.
I tried the Xiaomi.eu rom, same exact story. Bootloops.

However, if I flash CyanogenMod everything goes smoothly and the phone boots into its new rom.

Why? I really want to get back to MIUI =(

I am flashing zips, of course, not fastboot imgs or something.

Any imput would be much appreciated, thank you very much guys.
did you change your filesystem to f2fs for cyanogen? miui doesnt work with that if i remember correctly. you can change it in twrp

did you change your filesystem to f2fs for cyanogen? miui doesnt work with that if i remember correctly. you can change it in twrp
Could you be more specific? I am not really sure I know what you mean. Thank you for the reply.

Could you be more specific? I am not really sure I know what you mean. Thank you for the reply.
the following link explains the steps by step way what to do (its written for changing ext4 to f2fs though and youll want to do the otherway round).
after step 3 it shows you the current filesystem in the top of the screen. if it says ext4 its ok and you don't have to change but go back and check the same for data partition. otherwise youll have to continue step 4 and change to ext4. in that case youll lose all data so be sure to do a fullbackup to your computer first.
https://xiaomifirmware.com/guides-and-tips/formatting-to-f2fs-ext4-redmi-note-3/

the following link explains the steps by step way what to do (its written for changing ext4 to f2fs though and youll want to do the otherway round).
after step 3 it shows you the current filesystem in the top of the screen. if it says ext4 its ok and you don't have to change but go back and check the same for data partition. otherwise youll have to continue step 4 and change to ext4. in that case youll lose all data so be sure to do a fullbackup to your computer first.
So basically MIUI will not boot unless the partition is formatted in ext4? Correct?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a related question.

I'm running LineageOS on my Kate and previously flashed Psy_Man's 12/1/2017 firmware for Kate (based on MIUI). If I want to try the latest xiaomi.eu ROM, can I simply flash it in TWRP? Does it need to be ZCX TWRP to avoid bricking?

Also, could the official global dev ROM be flashed via TWRP, or is that more likely to result in bricking?

Flashing Official ROM will lock your bootloader and overwrite TWRP with stock recovery....

But that won't happen with xiaomi.eu ROMs, regardless of which TWRP is used?

TWRP ZCX is designed to allow OTA updates, so I would imagine that it somehow prevents the bootloader from being locked and TWRP being replaced with stock recovery when flashing official ROMs...

Well, I wiped everything except internal storage in TWRP before flashing the latest .eu ROM and SuperSU 2.79 SR3 zip, and after rebooting, it's displayed the Mi splash screen for 15 minutes, so it's not looking promising! Any suggestions?

Edit: I've just realised this is the Redmi 3 section rather than the Note 3. Oops.

Last edited:
Well, I wiped everything except internal storage in TWRP before flashing the latest .eu ROM and SuperSU 2.79 SR3 zip, and after rebooting, it's displayed the Mi splash screen for 15 minutes, so it's not looking promising! Any suggestions?

Edit: I've just realised this is the Redmi 3 section rather than the Note 3. Oops.
It is however, exactly what happens to me. I think our problems are connected. Regardless of what version of MIUI I flash, it won't boot. If you flash back CM13 or LOS Nightly everything will work.

did you check partition format in the meantime?
did you try flash only rom without supersu?