Xiaomi Important information about Google apps in MIUI

MarkHUK

Site Founder
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

From this weeks 2.4.20 release there will be no bundled Google applications in the Stock Chinese builds, this will only mean apps like Gmail and Google Talk will be removed the GoogleServices and associated apks will remain in the ROM.

MIUI China decided to loose some applications to provide smaller downloads, they do however offer the Google applications to users via SuperMarket.apk if they need them.

MIUIAndroid.com ROM will include the missing Google applications in this weeks build so no one will get caught short by the issue here.

Preview changelog will be up soon.

Thanks,

Mark

I appreciate that GApps are included with your roms, it is very uncomfortable to flash them after rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Don't really care about gmail and google talk. I get rid of them all the time, so it will be nice to not have to do that :)
but it's nice having the useful apps like google maps

Don't really care about gmail and google talk. I get rid of them all the time, so it will be nice to not have to do that :)
but it's nice having the useful apps like google maps
You will need to remove them then in our build :) Sorry, catering for the masses :)

Sooo...you guys are gonna keep all the Google Apps in the Roms until further notice?
Also this might sound stupid but what is SuperrMarket.apk?

One thing that would be nice to be added instead would be the clockwork mod manager app to aid adding kernels and so on.....

Sooo...you guys are gonna keep all the Google Apps in the Roms until further notice?
Also this might sound stupid but what is SuperrMarket.apk?

SuperMarket is a Chinese Only app that we remove. Think of it as an app store, for china.

Ahhh...gotcha, Thanks for clearing that up!
Now i get why Xiaomi are going to get rid of those apps as its easy for them to be downloaded.
On the other hand i suppose its not that difficult for the European community to download them, i's just easier to hide them on your device using App Quarantine than installing them again. But who am i to say?

To my knowledge proprietary Google Apps like GMail, GTalk, E-mail, SMS. Maps where never allowed to pack along with custom firmware. Therefore the GAPPS-package by goo.im were created. See the "Licensing Controversy" section in the CyanogenMod wiki. Link

So I believe Xiaomi trying to prevent themselves from dealing with any sort of possible licensing/copyright issues with Google. Because removing important files to save around 10MB extra space sounds a little fishy to me. MIUI Android should better play safe and use the additional GAPPS package like dozens of other non-MIUI ROMs instead of adding them directly. Better safe than sorry!

Anyway good work you're doing here.

So I believe Xiaomi trying to prevent themselves from dealing with any sort of possible licensing/copyright issues with Google. Because removing important files to save around 10MB extra space sounds a little fishy to me. MIUI Android should better play safe and use the additional GAPPS package like dozens of other non-MIUI ROMs instead of adding them directly. Better safe than sorry!

Anyway good work you're doing here.
Cyanogen has warned that while issues no longer remain with Google, there are still potential licensing issues regarding proprietary, closed-source device drivers

We'll be fine. Thanks for the concern though.

Nooooooo, I will tell China on you! :p
I would like a build without Gmail and GTalk but.... nah..
Just keep sending up updates of MIUI and I'm all good ^^

So if Google apps are still being stuffed in the build, can we get Google gallery? It syncs with Picasa and looks / works better than the standard miui gallery.

So if Google apps are still being stuffed in the build, can we get Google gallery? It syncs with Picasa and looks / works better than the standard miui gallery.

I don't think were going to change what were bundling. Just keeping it the same as previous weeks.

Can anyone get Google talk working? All other apps have installed ok! Tried through apk and not available in the market.
Weirdly it won't work through the IMO app either?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.