In-call microphone issue miuiandroid 3.4.5

ivangotoy

Members
Dec 28, 2012
I've been having this strange issue lately (now running miuiandroid 3.4.5):
When I call anyone I can hear him perfectly well but he cannot hear me very well. I tried to investigate the problem myself but to no avail.
1. When I'm sitting on my desk - the other end hears me just fine. I wish it's that way all the time.
2. If I decide to walk in the room or go outside while in-call the other end hears metal echo added to my voice , sometimes words or parts of words are skipped.
3. If I begin talking quickly definitely some words will be skipped.
4. flashed different basebands - 3.2.8 , jlb 12 , 3.3.22 , 3.3.29 , QDT07, 3.4.5 - all the same.
5. tried erasing modem and modem1 with fastboot and flashing 3.4.5 baseband - nothing changed.
6. audio recorder can record speech if it's slow and clear but if you begin talking quickly or play the music loudly in the room - all sorts of unusual effects will be recorded - dull sound, some metal echo at moments, lower sound volumes, etc.
That's all I got for now.
If anyone could give me a clue - I will try it out. As a last resort I could send it back to Xiaomi but at least I would like to try any possible solutions first.

Seems like a problem on the second mic. Are you using a cover that covers (well... ehm...) it? Do you keep your finger on it while talking? It is the small hole beside the flash.

I noticed this hole, I removed the black stock cover , I pay attention to my fingers holding the phone, I removed the plastic cover just to see if the mic looks fine - no dust or anything - it has black rubber protection. I also believe the issue related to this mic but not sure how it relates and most importantly no idea how to fix it. Since things are not certain for now , it can be another cause for that issue.

The hole must not be covered or weird distortions of the voice may happen. Just make sure it is not covered. But what do you mean with stock black cover? Mi2 has stock white as far as I know.

The hole is not covered in any way, checked many times :) Yes, the plastic cover is white , the rubber protective case is black. Having fixed the colours and freeing the rear mic of any obstructions I'm in a dead end again. Called several people without the back plastic cover - nothing changed. Rebooted and called , the same - bad audio. I even changed sim cards from another service providers - nothing worked so far. If there is any other trick I can try - I will do it gladly.

If you tried different basebands and the secondary mic is not covered then I'm clueless. I don't know if there is a way to test the secondary mic, but since you experienced the problem also in the audio recorder I would exclude a problem related to the baseband.

I have similar problems with my Mi2 (I opened a thread about it 1-2 weeks ago).
1. when talking in noisy area, noise reduction is not effective: noise is not filtered enough while my voice volume is too low - causes problems for my partners to understand me.
2. also in a quiet area, my voice sounds little artificial (strange metallic echo, that reminded me to a bad skype connection), dull and low volume for my partners. I have made test with my previous phone (cheap samsung feature phone) - in the same situation it performed well with the same SIM card. So the problem is definitely with the Mi2.

Forum mates suggested to change baseband (as you already did), upgrade to latest ROM. I haven't done it yet (lack of time).
I suspect it could be hardware quality failure. First I will try the latest ROM. Then I have to decide if I can live with it or I try to send it back to China for replacement (time, transport costs...)

I see , in my case software upgrades didn't help - didn't make things worse or better. Today I will visit a local electronics repairs shop and I'll try go have the mic examined there. Sending it back to China could cost me a lot of time - in the smartphones' world things get old each second :)

same problem on my side also...
I'm already searching for a while how to switch off this #$% second mic :) but with no success so far...

Up...

I've the same problem with a M1s

My voice in call is low, metallic and like a robot.
When I try to record a memo with the recorder, my voice is fine, recording from far to nearest the mic.

any solutions ?

I too face same problem, updated to 3.2.8 baseband and cover the second mic with electric tape, now the problem is solved for me... try this.

Many on italian forums are experiencing the same problem. Is it possible to forward the bug report to MIUI team?
For now, wich hole do we have to cover? The one near the flash?

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

New pcs MI2S 32GB buy at Ibuygou few days ago and the same problem. Rom 3.8.9
Voice in call like from underwater. I am disgusted.

New pcs MI2S 32GB buy at Ibuygou few days ago and the same problem. Rom 3.8.9
Voice in call like from underwater. I am disgusted.

in next release will be added switch for disable second microphone... its caused by noise cancellation during call...

Reactions: oile
Hi. The problem with extremely poor quality of the call (no one could decipher what I said) made me put the phone away for months, filing under "Hyped, but bad China electronics". With 7 million phones sold, this must have been a serious issue for many Xiaomi customers. Thanks to this pages, my MI2 is now working. My question is: with Noise cancellation set to a singel microphone, what am I missing? Does it mean the whole function is abandoned? And also, do the second microphone has a other purposes, for instance when recording a video?
By the way, thanks for very good work here in the community!

Hi bopsky, is your problem resolved?
anyone who have noise problem also happen if using headset?