Instruction, How To Fix Buttons, For Entering Fastboot Mode And Recovery

Papka__

Members
Mar 21, 2016
Symptoms - you're not able to enter fastboot mode by pressing Power button and Volume down at the same time, you're not able to enter recovery by pressing Power button and Volume up.

Finally, solution found. If you are going to do something like that, that means that you are familiar with driver installations and command line. Prerequisites - windows drivers for Mipad 2 installed and device recognized by windows.

1. Download archive https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Nb0mR1oVUWSHM3dDJWTGczREE . And extract it somewhere.
2. In Windows explorer, when folder with extracted files opened press Shift and right mouse button and select "Open command window here". Black window will appears.

For those, whose recovery is locked (original, not TWRP):
3. Enter device into DNX mode by booting it pressing Power button and Volume up and down simultaneously. You might get text asking to release buttons and after that you will get text written in yellow or just text written in yellow will appear. Note, usb cable should be connected to your PC already during boot!
4. execute IFWI.bat

For those, whose recovery is unlocked (TWRP):
5. Enter device info fastboot mode. (for example by typing adb reboot fastboot)
6. Execute following commands: fastboot flash ifwi ifwi.bin and fastboot reboot

Your device will be restarted 2 times. (at least it was so for me). First time will shortly appear and disappear text, next time you will get message that flashable ifwi.bin found and it'll be flashed, then device will be re-started again into system.
Button combinations will start to work. I did all this with my device. Nothing bad happen. All user data/programs and so on touched.

Original thread - http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=713227&view=findpost&p=54836886

Last edited:
Reactions: XhtcKing and 76luca
I'm scared to try but for me was impossible to enter in fastboot mode by pressing Power Button and volume up, so i Will give a try to install in fastboot mode and i Will report here.

Sent from my MI PAD 2 using Tapatalk

I'm scared to try but for me was impossible to enter in fastboot mode by pressing Power Button and volume up, so i Will give a try to install in fastboot mode and i Will report here.

Sent from my MI PAD 2 using Tapatalk

Trust me. All will goes fine. Bit scary was for me to try this. :) Remember - Power+VolDown - fastboot, Power+VolUp - recovery. Report about result definitely.

Reactions: 76luca
I'm not sure for a little thing, i've read on forum pDA ru that xiaomi.eu version wich you have tried is 6.10.27, i've just updated to 6.11.3 and now i'm more terrified to try, touch efi and boot partition is very very dangerous
and also i've read how scary was you :)

I'm not sure for a little thing, i've read on forum pDA ru that xiaomi.eu version wich you have tried is 6.10.27, i've just updated to 6.11.3 and now i'm more terrified to try, touch efi and boot partition is very very dangerous
and also i've read how scary was you :)

Once again - it's safe, because before it'll be really flashed, it'll be checked internally. This not touching boot. This file you flashing is from original fastboot ROM 6.10.27. No modifications. You can download any fastboot ROM from miui.com, extract it and take ifwi.bin from there if you don't trust me. :) I was scary only because I didn't know that flashing was not real and system will check provided information after reboot.
If I would never tried this on myself - I would never suggest something like this. :D

P.S. BTW I was on latest xiaomi.eu provided by me here when I did this. :)

Last edited:
Thanks @Papka__ i've solved, i use in fastboot mode ifwi.bat and now goes in fastboot mode with combo buttons!

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you! worked!

I had the same issue. I could enter the Dnx-mode, but not fastboot with the buttons.

The buttons are fixed. Mipad2 said in the welcoming "Found valid IWFI Binary"
Then it flashed it in the second boot with some text in the welcoming telling me that.

Last edited:
Thank you! worked!

I had the same issue. I could enter the nxt-mode, but not fastboot.

The buttons are fixed. Mipad2 said in the welcoming "Found valid IWFI Binary"
Then it flashed it in the second boot with some text in the welcoming telling me that.

Yeah... Same was for me.

Yeah... Same was for me.
And one more thing:

The good thing, it didn't reset my data when I unlocked it and then locked it immediately after manually flash.

The bat script couldn't find the loader.efi so I opened the script (right click > edit in text editor) and extracted code-lines manually
Code:
fastboot boot loader.efi

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flash ifwi ifwi.bin

fastboot oem verified

fastboot oem lock

fastboot reboot

I have DualOS (windows+android aosp) and switch to android first before flash. Maybe it was unnecessary but though maybe both have different loader.efi.

Also maybe it doesn't matter, because you live-boot "flashboot boot loader.efi" without flashing (no flash) the loader inside your zips

Last edited:
And one more thing:

The good thing, it didn't reset my data when I unlocked it and then locked it immediately after manually flash.

The bat script couldn't find the loader.efi so I opened the script (right click > edit) and did it manually
Code:
fastboot boot loader.efi

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flash ifwi ifwi.bin

fastboot oem verified

fastboot oem lock

fastboot reboot

I have DualOS (windows+android aosp) and switch to android first before flash. Maybe it was unnecessary but though maybe both have different loader.efi.

Also maybe it doesn't matter, because you live-boot "flashboot boot loader.efi" without flashing (no flash) the loader inside your zips

That's strange, loader.efi should be in the same folder you running .bat file... This is "special" loader.efi, that allows to flash from DNX mode without "real" bootloader unlock.

That's strange, loader.efi should be in the same folder you running .bat file... This is "special" loader.efi, that allows to flash from DNX mode without "real" bootloader unlock.
You are right!

Okey, Now I understand.

I run in fastboot-mode and was not in DNX-mode. I used adb to get into bootloader-mode. So your script.bat is right. Sorry for misleading members here.

For people here: Get into DNX-mode with 3 buttons pushing simultaneously [volumeUp]+[volumeDown]+[powerButton] at the same time for 15 seconds, and then doubleClick IFWI.bat

You are right!

Okey, Now I understand.

I run in fastboot-mode and was not in DNX-mode. I used adb to get into bootloader-mode. So your script.bat is right. Sorry for misleading members here.

For people here: Get into DNX-mode with 3 buttons pushing simultaneously [volumeUp]+[volumeDown]+[powerButton] at the same time for 15 seconds, and then doubleClick IFWI.bat

Actually you were able to do this only because your bootloader is in unlocked state. In all other cases DNX-mode should be used.