Issues Updating Xiaomi 12

Datleedoe

Members
Aug 24, 2022
Hi,

Recently my Xiaomi 12 has become very buggy (laggy navigation/notification tray icons disappearing/system freezes etc). I checked the updater app which crashed several times, eventually seeing that there is an update available.

Currently installed I have MIUI 13.0 V13.0.30.0.SLCCNXM (STABLE)

Update package downloaded is V13.0.37.0.SLCCNXM

Once downloaded the updater app shows a button that says "Check MD5 & Install"

I press this button ( Several times the app crashes again). When it works a note appears which stats " Your device supports "Seamless System Updates", remember to select "Slot A" when prompted in TWRP"

I press OK. Another note appears that reads "Your internal storage is encrypted. After device is rebooted to recovery, please enter your device unlock password to continue

I press OK again

A prompt appears asking if I'm sure. I press Yes

The phone then reboots to MIUI Recover 5.0 Main Menu and provides me with 4 options:

Reboot
Wipe Data
Connect with MiAssistant
Safe Mode

There is no option for inserting the password. I am unsure what to do at this point and would appreciate any advice as the system issues are really affecting the usage of the device

Last edited:
NOTE: I did the following to a fresh install, so the last step is what should work for you. I did the install from within TWRP and I think I picked the wrong options, I had to do it twice. Since I had a fresh phone, and no data to 'keep' there was no risk to me.

----

That looks like you do not have TWRP installed, it should reboot into that rather than the MIUI recovery. If you installed an older version using the 'fastboot' method, you would not have needed TWRP for the install.

The process to resolve this (that I have just followed, since I've got a new cupid):

Download the boot & recovery cupid files from: https://dl.akr-developers.com/?dir=skkk/TWRP/A12/v5.6_A12 (referenced on here at
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-13-stable-release.64441/page-180#post-667130 )

[REC]3.6.2_12-Mi12_v5.6_A12-cupid-skkk_48a0b658.zip

If you still have the download you used the first time, you should have within the download 'fastboot.exe' - otherwise you will need to download it separately

Process:
* Extract that file somewhere
* Reboot the phone into fastboot (hold down volume down while turning on)
* Run fastboot flash recovery <name of extracted file>
* Run fastboot boot recovery

At this point you should be in TWRP - if you need to change languages click on the icon on the right the third one down, and then click on the globe and select a language you do understand. Click on the 'reboot' and choose system. Then once back within MIUI run the autoinstall again.

Last edited:
NOTE: I did the following to a fresh install, so the last step is what should work for you. I did the install from within TWRP and I think I picked the wrong options, I had to do it twice. Since I had a fresh phone, and no data to 'keep' there was no risk to me.

----

That looks like you do not have TWRP installed, it should reboot into that rather than the MIUI recovery. If you installed an older version using the 'fastboot' method, you would not have needed TWRP for the install.

The process to resolve this (that I have just followed, since I've got a new cupid):

Download the boot & recovery cupid files from: https://dl.akr-developers.com/?dir=skkk/TWRP/A12/v5.6_A12 (referenced on here at
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-13-stable-release.64441/page-180#post-667130 )

[REC]3.6.2_12-Mi12_v5.6_A12-cupid-skkk_48a0b658.zip

If you still have the download you used the first time, you should have within the download 'fastboot.exe' - otherwise you will need to download it separately

Process:
* Extract that file somewhere
* Reboot the phone into fastboot (hold down volume down while turning on)
* Run fastboot flash recovery <name of extracted file>
* Run fastboot boot recovery

At this point you should be in TWRP - if you need to change languages click on the icon on the right the third one down, and then click on the globe and select a language you do understand. Click on the 'reboot' and choose system. Then once back within MIUI run the autoinstall again.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Unfortunately, I am a complete Novice with this. I just about managed to correctly flash the EU ROM when I got my phone. I have no idea how to get TWRP back on my phone. Anything I try to follow online just gives me errors, as I don't think I have any files from when I initially done this

--Update-- (29/08/2022)
Managed to install TWRP and then install update. Issues appear resolved now

Last edited:
Just wanted to tell you your solution saved me after a failed update due to my TWRP not beeing able to decrypt the data. Your TWRP version was able to, and i could finally update the phone (Mi 11) and take it out of fastboot. BIG THANKS !