Resolved MI 8 - Ok google feature not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

clause93

Members
Oct 31, 2018
Hi all,

I am a new xiaomi phone owner and I have been experiencing this issue regarding google assistant and the "ok google" feature which does not work.

My phone is MIUI Global 10.0 (STABLE) and I don't understand why this feature does not work.

The setting inside the app looks to be disabled and cannot be re-enabled, I have been googling this and found some people with the same issue on other xiaomi smartphones and according to what they did, it was enough to delete cache from google app. This does not look to be working on my phone.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-31-12-04-37-324_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-31-12-04-37-324_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,591
Reactions: Damiaen
set English language for voice recognition.. its new Google app settings.. nothing to do with ROM...

Thanks for the reply.

It was set with double language on the google assistant app, I left English Uk only, no change on the app.

I also cleared the app cache totally, followed the wizard to set up the app and also went through "the ok google" step and looks to be working at first but then once I have set up everything, I see back again the same issue, the phone does not hear me saying "ok google" command.

Thanks,

set English language in google voice settings..

Settings - Google - Search, Assistant and Voice - Voice - Languages - English (US)

It doesn't work @ingbrzy. You can try anything it just won't work at all.

It's probably something related with the ROM you base your modifications on, it's up to Xiaomi to solve this i guess. There's tons of issues opened at Google and they don't seem to act upon it, all sources therefore point to Xiaomi.

Seems ok for me on MiX2..

Yeah those options are ghosted on my Mi8. I selected English UK, US, reset settings, installed Google app betas, tried just about everything. I can sometimes train my voice, but once i go into the settings screen it will ghost itself out again and it never responds to my voice.

Reactions: luigir-it
Yeah those options are ghosted on my Mi8. I selected English UK, US, reset settings, installed Google app betas, tried just about everything. I can sometimes train my voice, but once i go into the settings screen it will ghost itself out again and it never responds to my voice.
seems like Google issue on Pie ROMs.. not ROM issue..

No, it's not a Pie issue. I have a Mi 8 and te problem was present for me when I had the Global ROM on Oreo, and now using xiaomi.eu on Pie.

It seems to affect mainly Mi 8..

seems like Google issue on Pie ROMs.. not ROM issue..

Hi ingbrzy,

This is an issue on all Mi 8 whether they're on Global or Xiaomi.eu ROM and it has been the case from nearly the beginning. I couldn't find any confirmation that it ever worked to start with. Many Mi 8 users are frustrated by this and the silence on Xiaomi's part is frustrating especially since this is an issue on their flagship.

A while back, I've sent the question to the Google community in order to search out a user that was able to make it work. Apart from the "Me too" from many users, there were two posts that might give a direction to take in order to fix this. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of how the Android OS and more specifically MIUI works. Maybe you'd know a thing or two about what they're talking about. Could you give us your thoughts on them?

Here are the posts:

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/266936?msgid=411004
Maho Hiyajo
10/11/18
Ye, it won't work till MIUI team will add HotwordEnrollment for WCD9341 into our system.
For example on Pixel 2:
HotwordEnrollmentOKGoogleWCD9340
HotwordEnrollmentXGoogleWCD9340
HotwordEnrollmentTGoogleWCD9340

UPD: Did a little test, I put those missing services into Pixel2ROM system partition, Voice Match was not grayed out anymore, but still can't be enabled. Seems like we need Hotword support in Sound Trigger according to logcat
Last edited 10/11/18

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/266936?msgid=412881
Mirko
10/11/18
i've added these three apk in my rom (Miui 10 Pie) on Xiaomi MI 8:

/system/priv-app/HotwordEnrollmentOKGoogleWCD9340/HotwordEnrollmentOKGoogleWCD9340.apk
/system/priv-app/HotwordEnrollmentTGoogleWCD9340/HotwordEnrollmentTGoogleWCD9340.apk /system/priv-app/HotwordEnrollmentXGoogleWCD9340/HotwordEnrollmentXGoogleWCD9340.apk

and now "Ok Google" can be enabled and voice model can be trained.
message-412881-5130638527270770937.png

But "Ok google" dosn't trigger anything.... maybe is missing the "Hotword support in Sound Trigger"
Last edited 10/11/18

Thanks

I opened the a similar thread, an users put a lot of effort trying to solve the problem, and he partly did (but face unlock and other feature didn't work anymore). So he reported the bug to xiaomi, you all can help confirming the issue (if you are from mobile, use desktop mode otherwise you cannot see any confirm button).
Have a look here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/ok-google-doesnt-work.47548/ (last post).
Sorry for my English!

"Ok google" works with xiaomi.eu MIUI 10 stable version in my MI 8 SE. It works only when the phone is unlocked.
But there is a bug when I'm listening music, so I had to turned it off...

Status
Not open for further replies.