Mi 9 SE - Ambient display (Amoled) seems buggy (or features missing?)

c4ber

Members
Jun 6, 2019
I noticed the following things when using Ambient Display:

1) I selected the design with just a simple clock display in the center of the screen. I noticed that after a few minutes (~5 min or so) the clock moves to the top of the screen. Annoying yes, but not deal-breaking, just weird. (As I'm typing this I'm actually noticing the clock sliding *down* for a change - it started at the height of the power button, now it's a good 1-2 cm lower...)
EDIT: I'm gonna answer this question myself: apparently the clock moves around to avoid burn-in. This in itself is good, it was just confusing because the movement is so minimal that it felt more like a bug, lol

But then:

2) Similar to this post here the Amoled turns completely off after around 15-30 minutes. This is not the scheduled turn off which I set to happen between 0-6h. Now this IS really annoying and borderline deal-breaking - since the SE doesn't have a message notification LED (MAJOR design flaw btw) I'm dependent on seeing notifications on the ambient display.

Did I miss a setting for "turn ambient display off after X minutes" or something similar?

On a side note: is there a way to adjust the ambient display brightness? It's super low right now and if you are anywhere where there is light (just a regular room with lights on, not even mentioning sunlight...) it's almost unreadable.

Last edited:
1. It is indeed to avoid burn-in. Although, Samsung was smarter about this and only moves it a couple of pixels so that you don't notice it. Each time it moves I feel like I just received a new notification.

2. I think it turns off so as to preserve battery. My MI 9 doesn't do that, however, so I don't know. Regarding the brightness, it might be a bug because it should lower the brightness only if it detects that it has been placed in a very dark room, e.g. during the night.

Hope you find what's causing this. Have you tried rebooting or reinstalling?

I think you might be on to something about the ambient brightness - but in regards to turning it off. I mainly observed the turning off behaviour in my "charging nook" which is just a dark spot on a shelf facing away from the window and the light source in the room. So it might have considered it "dark" and went into night mode.

I've had my phone lying on my desk most of yesterday and it only once turned the screen off completely, but only after over an hour, not 15 minutes as before. It remained on the rest of the day which makes me think it judges the rooms brightness to determine whether it should turn off.

EDIT: And I'm gonna add some more findings: I accidentally had my phone directly under my desk lamp and about 5-10 seconds after I turned the lamp on the ambient display went from super dim to quite bright - so I'm guessing the ambient brightness influencing the display brightness (even if you have auto-brightness disabled for your regular display) has been confirmed.

Last edited: