Resolved [Mi Max 3 V10.3.2.0.PEDCNXM (stable)] Data plan can't be changed

Patneu

Members
Sep 4, 2018
Hello,

I want to report the following issue:

Whenever I want to change my selected data plan from monthly to daily or unlimited in the settings, it seems(!) to work, but it doesn't.

I may select daily or unlimited and I see it being selected, but if I leave the settings afterward and come back, it's always back to monthly. Other settings in the same place, like setting a new data limit, work just fine, as far as I know.

My phone model and ROM version are as specified in the title. Additional info may be provided if needed. Hope this helps to resolve the issue.

You mean this one (my phone's set to german so I just want to make sure)?

Just tried it and didn't work. Same behaviour as before.

Maybe worth to be noted:
The data didn't seem to get wiped. When I tried, the App-Info screen just kind of crashed and the Security app is shown to still use the same amount of memory as before if I open it again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-23-13-10-47-988_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-23-13-10-47-988_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    144 KB · Views: 192
Yes , that one.

Try FC (beenden_erzwingen), and then clear all data (data löschen).

If that doesn't fix it, and a reboot doesn't help, maybe you should consider reinstalling the rom.

(This problem has appeared sporadically since the winter, with different roms and devices.)

Still no luck.

What I did:

1. Rebooting the phone.
2. Trying to force close and wipe data of Security app. Like before, it doesn't seem to work, the App-Info screen's just crashing and used memory doesn't change.
3. Reflashing the ROM (as in redownloading the current version and flashing it dirty over the one installed).
4. Trying to force close and wipe data of Security app again (still the same as before).

Nothing of this brought any change, but it's not such big of an issue to me, that I'd be willing to wipe everything and start over again, so I'll just set some unreachable data limit for now and wait for the next update.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

Clearing all data in the Security app has previously always fixed this, as the settings for the data plan are kept by the Security app.

Maybe things have changed, I haven't had to do this for several months now.

You can check what the data plan settings look like by accessing them from within the Security app also, not only from the usual Settings/Sim cards . . .

There are somewhat different choices there, may be device dependent of course.

It may very well be that wiping the data of Security app may solve the issue, but like I wrote, it just doesn't work.

Everytime I try to force close or wipe the data of Security app, the App-Info screen's just crashing and the data apparently don't get wiped nor the app (force) closed.

I even tried force closing and wiping the data of some other app I don't care about and that worked just fine. Just doesn't work for Security app. There I can at maximum wipe the cache without the App-Info screen crashing and that doesn't change anything either.

It may very well be that wiping the data of Security app may solve the issue, but like I wrote, it just doesn't work.

Everytime I try to force close or wipe the data of Security app, the App-Info screen's just crashing and the data apparently don't get wiped nor the app (force) closed.

I even tried force closing and wiping the data of some other app I don't care about and that worked just fine. Just doesn't work for Security app. There I can at maximum wipe the cache without the App-Info screen crashing and that doesn't change anything either.

Well, maybe @Igor Eisberg could answer if something has changed, or about what you could do?

How did you determine that it's crashing? For your information, the app info screen is part of the Security app (not the Settings app like on many other Android OSs).
So, naturally, force-closing or clearing the data (which force closes the app first) of the Security app also force closes the app info screen.
The data does gets cleared though.

Well, maybe @Igor Eisberg could answer if something has changed, or about what you could do?
Xiaomi doesn't keep me updated on whatever changes they do, and I don't sit all day comparing APKs as well, so... no idea.

Well, yeah, it looked like it crashed, maybe it just closed because it's part of the same app. Doesn't change the fact, that the data don't get wiped, though.

I mean, I should at least see some change in the amount of memory Security app is using if the data really got wiped, shouldn't I? I don't, so apparently they don't get wiped and I don't know what over method I could use to wipe them.

And whether or not wiping Security app's data did work or not, trying to do so via the App-Info screen definitely didn't fix the issue inspiring this thread.

Well, yeah, it looked like it crashed, maybe it just closed because it's part of the same app. Doesn't change the fact, that the data don't get wiped, though.

I mean, I should at least see some change in the amount of memory Security app is using if the data really got wiped, shouldn't I? I don't, so apparently they don't get wiped and I don't know what over method I could use to wipe them.

And whether or not wiping Security app's data did work or not, trying to do so via the App-Info screen definitely didn't fix the issue inspiring this thread.
Issue has been found. Seems like another mine planted by Xiaomi for Global users to not be able to change the plan type. Will be fixed for next release.

Reactions: cobben and Patneu
That's great to hear! I'll be waiting then (was my plan anyway).

If it's still of interest, I checked again and wiping the data of Security app apparently *did* have some effect, after all. It reset any other settings in the same place as the data plan (like data limit and warnings). Just couldn't fix the issue.

Reactions: cobben
That's great to hear! I'll be waiting then (was my plan anyway).

If it's still of interest, I checked again and wiping the data of Security app apparently *did* have some effect, after all. It reset any other settings in the same place as the data plan (like data limit and warnings). Just couldn't fix the issue.
It wouldn't fix the issue because Xiaomi imposes Monthly data type when the ROM is detected as international. This is a deliberate limitation. Even if you change the plan type, it still returns a Monthly type.

Reactions: cobben