mi mix 2s encryption

Mello03

Members
Jan 10, 2016
Hello
I have Mi Mix 2S with weekly rom updated to last MIUI 12.1 20.7.9.
I need to use Android for Work and to do this I need to encrypt the phone.
I tried some time ago enabling encrytion in settings. The phone reboot to start encryption, but after 8 hours it was in the same boot condition, so I forced the shutdown....results: I lost all data and I started with clean install.
Now I would like to try again the encryption, but first I need to know if with xiaomi.eu rom the encryption is possibile, what you need to have, what is the right procedure, if you can continue to update weekly....
Someone could help me?

Hello
I have Mi Mix 2S with weekly rom updated to last MIUI 12.1 20.7.9.
I need to use Android for Work and to do this I need to encrypt the phone.
I tried some time ago enabling encrytion in settings. The phone reboot to start encryption, but after 8 hours it was in the same boot condition, so I forced the shutdown....results: I lost all data and I started with clean install.
Now I would like to try again the encryption, but first I need to know if with xiaomi.eu rom the encryption is possibile, what you need to have, what is the right procedure, if you can continue to update weekly....
Someone could help me?
Just my little knowledge:
You have a very recent official TWRP available at TWRP site. Did you check if it encrypts at it should as "official" release.
(I can't check this , because I don't own this phone)
Next step if no success with this twrp is to flash the fencrypt.zip that will modify Fstab and activate encryption as it must be.
You can find some more detailed explanation in searching recent thread on this subject here.

Just my little knowledge:
You have a very recent official TWRP available at TWRP site. Did you check if it encrypts at it should as "official" release.
(I can't check this , because I don't own this phone)
Next step if no success with this twrp is to flash the fencrypt.zip that will modify Fstab and activate encryption as it must be.
You can find some more detailed explanation in searching recent thread on this subject here.

Hello LOLO9393, thank you for your answer!

TWRP for mi mix2s is 3.4.0.0 the lastest version. Where should I check if TWRP encrypts? In settings/options I have only a list of flag, no one related to privacy or encryption. In advanced options the same
I tried to search in recent thread but I found only confusion posts. Where can I find fencrypt.zip and some instructions?

In MIUI, in privacy settings I have the option to encrypt the phone. Should i start from this step first?

Sorry for my newbies questions

Hello LOLO9393, thank you for your answer!

TWRP for mi mix2s is 3.4.0.0 the lastest version. Where should I check if TWRP encrypts? In settings/options I have only a list of flag, no one related to privacy or encryption. In advanced options the same
I tried to search in recent thread but I found only confusion posts. Where can I find fencrypt.zip and some instructions?

In MIUI, in privacy settings I have the option to encrypt the phone. Should i start from this step first?

Sorry for my newbies questions
""Should i start from this step first?"""
No because it will not encrypt and that reset the phone. wrong way to go.
I see your latest TWRP doesn't encrypt even after you did a clean install, so only solution is fencrypt.zip to be flashed just after a phone reset and format data.
It is old story for me but thread were reopened recently.
A lot of info here:
and come back if you feel confuse.
This is the only solution and it is a working solution.

for me official TWRP available at TWRP site have excellent elements
Have got encryption working from twrp?
I can't test it because not my phone.
But I directed the requester here to test latest official TWRP before going to trip fstab old fashion.
no luck!

""Should i start from this step first?"""
No because it will not encrypt and that reset the phone. wrong way to go.
I see your latest TWRP doesn't encrypt even after you did a clean install, so only solution is fencrypt.zip to be flashed just after a phone reset and format data.
It is old story for me but thread were reopened recently.
A lot of info here:
and come back if you feel confuse.
This is the only solution and it is a working solution.
Hello LOLO9393

Sorry if I take this post again after long time

I understand some things...i understand I need to edit fstab.qcom.
I got this action list:
1. Turn off the phone
2. Boot into TWRP recovery
3. Mount System.
4. On PC ADB type
Code:
adb pull /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
5. You will have fstab.qcom file in adb folder
6. Edit something in this file to whatever you want - like forceencrypt to encryptable. Save it.
You must modify it at encryptable=ice to be replaced with fileencryption=ice.
7. Push the fstab.qcom into mobile by typing this
Code:
adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc
8.Voila, you have rewrited fstab.qcom file!
9. Now, you can reboot the phone.

Am I going in the right direction?
There is no need to format data or anything else in TWRP before pull modified fstab.qcom? No risk of losing actual data?

Attachments

• 1605268289659.png
    1605268289659.png
    681 bytes · Views: 362
Hello LOLO9393

Sorry if I take this post again after long time

I understand some things...i understand I need to edit fstab.qcom.
I got this action list:
1. Turn off the phone
2. Boot into TWRP recovery
3. Mount System.
4. On PC ADB type
Code:
adb pull /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
5. You will have fstab.qcom file in adb folder
6. Edit something in this file to whatever you want - like forceencrypt to encryptable. Save it.
You must modify it at encryptable=ice to be replaced with fileencryption=ice.
7. Push the fstab.qcom into mobile by typing this
Code:
adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc
8.Voila, you have rewrited fstab.qcom file!
9. Now, you can reboot the phone.

Am I going in the right direction?
There is no need to format data or anything else in TWRP before pull modified fstab.qcom? No risk of losing actual data?
This is the good direction! but the most complicated.
(you can also,copy and paste fstab in twrp explorer or flash the fencrypt.zip file
Unfortunately in order to encrypt you need to start from format data.
You can try without doing it but you have a risk to mess your phone and hence be forced to format....
Note: search around for the encrypt.zip we built for MI8. It's an easier way to do the trick. It should be working o the same on your phone. (you can compare or change fstab in it)
If trouble, post back to me.

I am currently also running into the issue that encryption has become mandatory with my employer. I'm running the latest MIUI 12 stable release. I tried encryption from the main menu, but that doesn't do a thing. Then I came across this thread. Indeed, this seems to be the only option. I created a force encrypt zip file, as I could not find a ready-to-use file anywhere.

Attachments

• fencrypt_mix2s.zip.txt
    379.1 KB · Views: 251
Yes. Install in TWRP (or OrangeFox works as well), format /data, and then your /data will be encrypted. It is not possible to encrypt without formatting /data.