Mi5s - Gboard Dictatation Question

SAngeli

Members
Mar 18, 2016
Hi,
currently, I run xiaomi.eu weekly MIUI 8.2 - 6.12.22 Developer (have followed all xiaomi.eu guides for install) Italian. I have a question regarding Gboard

I wish to know how to be able to dictate text rather than writing it. With all other ver of Android or devices/brands I used to have in the lower left corner an icon where I coud see the picture of a microphone and just use it. I do not see it. Do I have to install any additiona app or Google component that perahs is missing?
b. If I wish to also be able to write besides Italian (which is the default language) also in English how to make Gboard correct and suggests words in English? I noticed that English words pop-up but do not know if this is how it works or if I have to add/select English.....
Thank you

You should install Google app to have voice input.

To have multi-language keyboard in Gboard, go to Settings->Additional settings->Language & input->Gboard->Languages and unset Use system language and then set the languages you want.
In Preferences there is also the option to show the Voice input key.
You should be able to switch long pressing the space key and if you have installed Google app you'll find also Google voice input.

Last edited:
Hi,
I was able to add a second language, as you suggested, but after searching and searching I faild to find any setting that would enable gboard to show the Voice Input Key.
Can you or someone please instruct me, step by step, on how to find this setting and how to enable it?

On the Internet I found this suggestion "In Preferences there is also the option to show the Voice input key" but simply I fail to find this "Voice input key" not even in Italian UI language.

Thank you

Do you refer to this app? If so, no I did not. I was looking for which app was that also introduces "Ok Google".
Is this what I need to install and why I do not have it?
Anything else I might be missing?

Thank you

Sorry, I totally missed that link you provided me with. I will install it immediately.
Many thanks...

Hi,
at the end, I was able to find the correct setting for enabling Voice input.
This feature is not listed under "Gboard settings -> preferences" but found only this way:
while in gboard I hold press space bar and got into "choose keyboard"
(anothe way is "I am translating into English": settings -> additional settings -> Language and keyboard -> predefined keyboard -> "choose keyboard").

Then I only had to enable "Google vocal dictation".
This is why I kept asking and searching around.

Once I installed Google apps, I wanted to see if it behaves just like on other smartphones (like Samsung, Huawey....) trying to swipe left-right from Home screen or hold pressing the Home virtual button of the phone.

1. Swipe does not work and do not know how to enable this feature (eventually I wish to have it). Any idea?

2. Hold pressing the Home virtual button generated a very strange behaving and I believe it should be to me a new/unknonw MIUI . Regardless of where I am, if I hold press this virutal button for two seconds or so the screen locks itself and I am unable to do anything on the device other than swiping top/bottom to get notification/setting windows. If I tap once again on the virtual home the screen unlocks and all resume to normal. I accidentally discover this because I wanted to try the Ok Google by hold pressing the virtual home button like on other smartphones but did not work.
- Is this correct?
- How does Hold pressing home button work (if it does) for Google?

Anyone can please elaborate a bit what I just above wrote ? I wish to understand and learn a bit.
Many thanks in advanced.

Rom installed is listed at the top of this thread. As am writing I am upgrading to ver 6.12.29 Developer