Need step by step how to install Multi Language ROM with Google support

Sjonnie

Members
Mar 6, 2014
OK, I have been trying to get my Hongmi "upgraded" to Miui Android Stable ROM as per the first post in this thread. I have successfully rooted the device and installed MobileUncle. I can select the recovery ROM (from same thread) and MobileUncle lets me reboot into recovery. Or so it thinks :(

The phone reboots just fine (it even shows a short message that it is booting in recovery mode) but after a few seconds I am presented with the login screen. No possibility to install the ROM (which is in fact on the SD card).

So I am a bit at a loss here and really could use some help.

Can you provide me with a step by step to install the Miui Android Stable ROM?

Please bear in mind that I am a bit of a noob when it comes to mobile phones, although I am a computer savvy kind of guy.

Info about the phone:

Model number: HM1
Android version: 4.2.1 HM2013022
MIUI version: MIUI-JHACNAH2.0
Kernel version: 3.4.5

Any help (and simple explanation of how to proceed) greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Sjonnie

Found this thread and tried to go through the steps.

<snip>
All u need is here [sweet ;) ]
Download twrp and full rom, put it to yr sd card [did that - copied HM1W-TWRP-2.5.0.0-stas2z.zip and miui_hm1w_stas2z_4.3.5_4.2.zip to the SD card without extracting]
Open Updater app and select reboot torecovery option [did that - phone went into reboot - after restart showing me "recovery"]
in recovery select apply update from sdcard2 and select twrp zip [never got this far - it just reboots to the standard OS/Gui/ROM]
reboot
go to recovery again, u will see twrp
wipe - swipe for wipe
install - choose sdcard instead of emmc and select ultimate rom zip
reboot
</snip>

Note: I have MobileUncle installed on my phone. Might that be the culprit?

Anyone able to help me?

TIA

Sjonnie

Last edited:
just download multi lang. rom from roms link on top.
put to sd card and flash with cwm or twrp.

Thanks for your answer but that is exactly the problem! I use the updater app that is present in the default rom and I can select boot to recovery but after reboot I always get back to the stock rom. Used SuperUncle to get to recovery mode by selecting the recovery image on the SD card.

I am sure I am missing a simple step that you Gurus take for granted but is unknown to a noob like me.
Maybe I have to press a key during reboot?
Do I have to set permissions on the files I copy to the SD card?
Do I need to make preparations before going into recovery?
Should the SD card be of a specific (maximum) size? Mine is 32GB Class 10
Should I reset to factory default
Do I need to uninstall the google apps I have tried to install using the app from Eric Xiang?
Does the phone have to have a SIM inserted while rebooting into recovery?

So please help me (and others) by providing a step by step.

Tx!

Sjonnie

Assuming you correctly installed the the recovery and that this one is the correct one, just try this. Go to market and install an app called QuickBoot. Then open it and choose reboot to recovery.
If that doesn't work it's because the cwm isn't installed simple as that

Hi pjovp,

thanks for your reply!

No! It is not "as simple as that" and that is my problem right there: you say it is as simple as that and it does not work so I must be missing out on something that is so obvious to you guys that you don't mention it. I appreciate your help but it frustrates me that I am unable to explain my problem properly. So I made my own step-by-step resulting in failure....

This is what I do:
I have rooted the device (using vRoot) and MobileUncle is installed and when needed it shows me it has root privileges. So that seems to be in order (Phew)

I extracted the file recovery.img from the file recovery-WCDMA.img.zip and place the file in the root of my SD card
I copied the file miuiandroid_multi_HM2013023_WCDMA_JHBCNAL5.0_jb-4.2.zip unaltered to the root of the SD card

I opened MobileUncle and selected Recovery Update.
Selected the file recovery.img on the SD card
Pressed OK on both questions from MobileUncle
Phone reboots
I see a message in the lower left corner looking like
=> recovery mode
I leave the phone be (as in I do not touch anything)
I see the MI logo appear and changing to yellow
I get the default login screen :(
After that I take tea cup, select a proper wall and smash the cup in frustration.

Alternatively I tried to use Updater app to boot into recovery but same result

Quickboot can only be installed from Android Market and I can not use it.

So what do I do wrong? Or what am I missing?

Please help!

TIA

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Nope! :( The phone browses Baidu Market (or something). If it does not find it there it suggests to browse other markets. I suspect it then browses for Android/Google Play.

I hope you can help me install the MIUI rom so I can use Google play. :)

Looking forward to your reply!

Greetz,

Sjonnie

friend, assuming your phone is original and you have a stock MIUI you should also have Google Play installed.
If not, you can either install it from the Mi Market, download it from the internet and install it.
For example from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2301927

Then go get that app I told you and do as I told you and let me know what happen.

You can also try to access the recovery by turning off the phone and then turning back on by pressing at the same time in Volume - and Power.
You will see some option in very small white letters.
Choose recovery mode and see what happens.
Pay attention that to navigate in that op+tion menu you need to press Volume - and to choose the option Volume +

Let me know

Hi pjovp,

Thanks for your continued support! I installed the apk I found at XDA and now have Android Market/Google Play.

Found and installed Quick Boot (Reboot) from Sirius and selected "recovery"

Phone reboots
I see a message in the lower left corner looking like
=> recovery mode
I leave the phone be (as in I do not touch anything)
I see the MI logo appear and changing to yellow
I get the default login screen :(

I turned off the phone. Started it by pressing Volume Down and Power. I see =>recovery mode I release the keys and nothing happens. I press one of the keys (can't remember which :oops: ) and the phone ends up in some sort of self test, That took a few minutes and now I am staring at some Chinese summary report of the self-test results. After that I select the last option in the list assuming that it would be the "return to main menu" option. It was and now I have this menu:

Sorry about the lousy quality. Pic has been taken by a Nokia ;) The last option is "exit" and it then reboots to factory mode (i.e. default interface)

Hope you can help me a bit further.

Is there a way I can install the recovery.img in another way?

Tx!

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Hi honu,

Tx for your reply. The problem is that I can install all I want (TWRP, CWM) but when I reboot I don't get to the recovery.

Seems like installing recovery fails or does not work.

What other ways (other than the ones I have already tried) are there to install the recovery?

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Sjonnie,

Have you tried via the updater app? in extra option you can choose for reboot to recovery mode or via mobile uncle tools from the playstore.

Groeten,
Tony

Download this recovery
http://d-h.st/Gs6

Put in the root of the external SD and install it with mobile uncle tools.
See if reboots into recovery afterwords.
You phone is correctly rooted yes?
Download root test from market to test it.
If nothing this works I think you will have to flash your phone with SP Flash tools

Sjonnie,

Have you tried via the updater app? in extra option you can choose for reboot to recovery mode or via mobile uncle tools from the playstore.

Groeten,
Tony
Hi Tony,

Yes I tried that a few times. All with same result. After reboot shows =>recovery mode And then happily boots in the default interface.

Tx!

Greetz,

Sjonnie
Download this recovery
http://d-h.st/Gs6

Put in the root of the external SD and install it with mobile uncle tools.
See if reboots into recovery afterwords.
You phone is correctly rooted yes?
Download root test from market to test it.
If nothing this works I think you will have to flash your phone with SP Flash tools

Hi pjovp,

Tx as always! Downloaded the recovery image and placed it on the SD card (in the root). Used MobileUncle to install and reboot. Showing me =>recovery mode and goes to default interface.

Checked root status of device with Root Checker by JoeyKrim (free version) and it reported that my device seemed to be running slow :huh: ? and then reported the device has root access.

So I think I am up for SP Flash tools? I found this link: http://androidxda.com/flash-stock-rom-using-smart-phone-flash-tool. Is that what you talk about?

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Hi pjovp,

Tx for the link. I don't know if it is real or fake (I even did not know there were fake phones :S )

How do I tell if it is fake?

Greetz,

Sjonnie

For example install antutu benchmark and make aprintscreen of the device info information

Hi pjovp,

Sorry it took so long. Had other matters to attend to :D

Here are the screen shots of Antutu (keep my fingers crossed it not a fake ;) )

Hope you can make sense of it ;)

Haven't had time to play with SP tools. Will have to find a Windows PC first ;)

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Total score 24709?????
Is your phone on steroids? Lol

I never reach 16000....

Hi pjovp,

I have no idea :s

Little question: can I run SP Flash Tool on a virtualised version of Windows? I have Windows 8 in Virtualbox on a Linux host. Would be great if I could use that without risk.

Greetz,

Sjonnie

M8 nothing is right in your photos, wrong AnTuTu version, wrong date, wrong result. Not even the new model with snapdragon have that score....

Wrong model name, should be HM2013022, wrong gpu renderer, etc etc.
I think it's a fake and if is nothing more I can do to help

Hi pjovp,

Well that is rather disturbing. Before you go could you please help me with SP Flash Tool? I installed it on my virtual PC. Got the ROM (miuiandroid_multi_HM2013023_WCDMA_JHBCNAL5.0_jb-4.2) copied and extracted the scatter.txt. When loading the scatter file the tool says:
Incorrect scatter file format!

Using SP FLash Tool version V3.1328.0.sn183

PS Antutu X says overall score is 10725. Much more in line I expect?

Thanks for taking the time!!

Greetz,

Sjonnie

With Mobile uncle tools go to device info and make a printscreen or install the app cpuz and run it and make aprintscreen. I suspect you have a fake phone and if it is then no solution here will help you as all is meant for genuine phones