New Xiaomi 5s With Malware On It

Yo-Han

Members
Dec 7, 2016
Hello Friends,

I just bought a new Xiaomi 5S Phone on Gearbest (Specification: International Edition MIUI 8 5.15 inch Snapdragon 821 Quad Core 2.15GHz 4GB RAM 128GB ROM), which is really great, I like it.

Unfortunatelly I found out, that the new phone has malware onboard, detected by malwarebytes. It detected android/Trojan.Downloader.agent.zh which is located in |system|priv-app|com.sprd.note|com.sprd.note.apk which is a system app, and hence could not be removed.

The phone says, that it uses MUI 8.1.18 | stable Version, which is NOT an official MIU Version. Therefore I have plans to switch to an EU supported ROM from this forum, which is really great!

Based on some readings I have following questions to you, where I believe, that you know the answer:

1.) Is my new Xiaomi phone - based on the specifications above - now a 5S Model or is it the 5 Plus Model? Actually I am a little bit confused, as 128GB ROM menas, that it is the PLUS Model, right?

2.) If the phone has already a special "customized" ROM: How can I check, if the phone is already rooted? If not I assume, that I have to ask XIAOMI for approval to unlock the phone, as already seen here in the Forum.

Thanks for your help,

Yo-Han

Plus version has 5,7inc screen and main camera lence is centerline on the phone. Mi5s has 5,15 screen and main camera lence is top corner.
Plus has fingerprint sensor back of the phone, Mi5s sensor is front.

Here is a description how the bootloader locked state can be checked:

Pre-Requisite:
ADB, Fastboot and Device Drivers.

1. Enter Your Device in the Fastboot Mode (Shut Down The Device. Hold Volume (-) along with the Power Button to enter into the fastboot mode or use ADB commands if you're an advanced user.

2. Once in fastboot mode, open an elevated command from the folder that you just extracted.

3. Type fastboot devices to check if your device is being recognised by your PC.

4. So far so good. Type fastboot oem device-info and you should be greeted with the device status.