Proximity Sensor Problem

Dec 21, 2018
During calls the proximity sensor isn't working properly. The display keeps going on and off and many times you end up having accidental touches which can lead to the pulling down of the notification drawer and even cause apps to open randomly.

However, it behaves differently with every single occasion I get to make a call. Sometimes it works better and sometimes it's worse. It also seems to be influenced by the environment I'm in. If for example I'm inside my apartment talking on the phone, when I move from a darker area of the room towards the open window and vice-versa, it seems to be triggering the light sensor which is somehow communicating with the proximity sensor, thus causing the display to go on and off.

Can anyone confirm this issue?

Yes, I can confirm this problem. For now I don't know why I got this issue on my Redmi Note 7 Global, the onnly thing you can do is working around this problem by manually locking the screen when you make a call <.<

Reactions: vlachorumsapiens
I actually noticed the same, the proximity sensor seems to be a bit iffy when you're on a call.

As I reposition the earpiece to my ear the screen turns in and off.

Have the Chinese ROM on the RN7 Pro.
Hopefully it can be fixed with software, I'm sure it can. Perhaps make it more or less sensitive.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

For what I know it's a problem that affects not only Xiaomi phones, even OP6t as stated above (and confirmed by a couple of collagues here in my office)... the common things among all devices with this problem is that they all have Android Pie. Do I have to think that it's an Android problem?

For what I know it's a problem that affects not only Xiaomi phones, even OP6t as stated above (and confirmed by a couple of collagues here in my office)... the common things among all devices with this problem is that they all have Android Pie. Do I have to think that it's an Android problem?
My Nokia running Android Pie did not have the issue.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I have a galaxy S7 and it has the same problem (only in ported pie roms since there is no official pie rom for S7)

Enable "AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS".

Automatic brightness is activated by default. That's not what's causing the problem. Not in my case at least.

EDIT: Just updated to the latest MIUI China Stable 10.3.5.0 version and the bug appears to have been solved. I've tested it in different lighting conditions and the screen stays off in each and every scenario. So that's one less bug to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: joy427
Automatic brightness is activated by default. That's not what's causing the problems. Not in my case at least.

EDIT: Just updated to the latest MIUI China Stable 10.3.5.0 version and the bug appears to have been solved. I've tested it in different lighting conditions and the screen stays off in each and every scenario. So that's one less bug to deal with.

I'm on 10.3.5.0 Global Stable and still facing this silly problem :(

Reactions: joy427
I'm on 10.3.5.0 Global Stable and still facing this silly problem :(

I'm not sure why the problem still persists on the Global ROM, but one thing I've learned over the years is that China ROMs are always better developed than Global ROMs. In fact, I'm not even sure if Global developers are building their own version from scratch like Chinese developers do with their own version, or if they just take the China ROM and modify it into what we know to be as the Global ROM. Whatever the case may be, there's a reason for these inconsistencies between these versions. Not sure what Global developers are doing, but they always seem to fall behind China developers. That's why I believe Xiaomi EU is based on the China ROM since it's the best possible version which is always released first and comes straight from the main source.

Another thing I've noticed with MIUI ROMs is that even though Stable versions are supposed to be more stable than Developer versions, in most cases it's actually the other way around which simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I'm not sure if this is the case with all Xiaomi devices, but on the ones I've had so far this is what I have experienced.

It's best to unlock your device and flash the Stable EU version or better yet wait for the Developer EU version which always solves bugs much faster.

Reactions: LOLO9393
I'm not sure why the problem still persists on the Global ROM, but one thing I've learned over the years is that China ROMs are always better developed than Global ROMs. In fact, I'm not even sure if Global developers are building their own version from scratch like Chinese developers do with their own version, or if they just take the China ROM and modify it into what we know to be as the Global ROM. Whatever the case may be, there's a reason for these inconsistencies between these versions. Not sure what Global developers are doing, but they always seem to fall behind China developers. That's why I believe Xiaomi EU is based on the China ROM since it's the best possible version which is always released first and comes straight from the main source.

Another thing I've noticed with MIUI ROMs is that even though Stable versions are supposed to be more stable than Developer versions, in most cases it's actually the other way around which simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I'm not sure if this is the case with all Xiaomi devices, but on the ones I've had so far this is what I have experienced.

It's best to unlock your device and flash the Stable EU version or better yet wait for the Developer EU version which always solves bugs much faster.

You reminded me that last sunday the waiting time to unlock my bootloader has ended, time to try to unlock, even if I lose my warranty <.<

You reminded me that last sunday the waiting time to unlock my bootloader has ended, time to try to unlock, even if I lose my warranty <.<

You can always relock the bootloader using official firmware if you need to service your device. So no need to worry about losing your warranty.

You can always relock the bootloader using official firmware if you need to service your device. So no need to worry about losing your warranty.

Nice :D

I've just succesfully unlocked my bootloader and I want to install EU Stable (xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote7_V10.3.1.0.PFGCNXM_v10-9.zip). Do I need to flash TWRP before flashing the rom? I don't know how to use fastboot :(

And... is it better (maybe) to flash eu developer? If yes, again, do I need TWRP? Can someone give me a download link, please? Sorry for all these questions but I'm afraid of brick <.<

Nice :D

I've just succesfully unlocked my bootloader and I want to install EU Stable (xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote7_V10.3.1.0.PFGCNXM_v10-9.zip). Do I need to flash TWRP before flashing the rom? I don't know how to use fastboot :(

And... is it better (maybe) to flash eu developer? If yes, again, do I need TWRP? Can someone give me a download link, please? Sorry for all these questions but I'm afraid of brick <.<

Oh, I thought you were using the Note 7 Pro (violet). But you are actually using the Note 7 (lavender). So that explains why you are still having the proximity sensor issue. It appears it hasn't yet been fixed on the Note 7. At least not on Global ROM...

Anyway, whether you want to flash the EU Stable or EU Developer version, the procedure is the same. Just follow the instructions from this link > HERE

Holy s**t my device asks me for a Google Password but it always say that it's the wrong one, help please!

I don't know, let me try, I'll write here asap

EDIT: No, It seems I can only access in the main menu with only 3 options: reboot, wipe data and connect with MiAssistant... do I need to wipe?

Did you follow the steps from the link I gave you? First you have to flash TWRP via fastboot command, and then enter TWRP via command. From there you have to wipe: Dalvik / Art Cache; System; Data; Cache (be careful not to wipe internal storage!) and then flash EU ROM.

1. FLASH TWRP > fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
2. ENTER TWRP > fastboot boot twrp.img
3. Wipe Dalvik / Art Cache; System; Data; Cache
4. Flash EU ROM

Try again using these steps.

I can flash TWRP, but I can't enter in it, phone goes back to the password request if I write fastboot boot twrp.img -_-

1st I see the Redmi logo, 2nd I see the Redmi Note 7 Logo and then he asks me for a password that I don't have

EDIT: I did it!! I'm in TWRP :D anyway, even TWRP asks me for a decription password that I don't have... omg
EDIT 2: ok, I'm noob, back to the main menu lol, sorry <.<

Last edited:
I can flash TWRP, but I can't enter in it, phone goes back to the password request if I write fastboot boot twrp.img -_-

1st I see the Redmi logo, 2nd I see the Redmi Note 7 Logo and then he asks me for a password that I don't have

EDIT: I did it!! I'm in TWRP :D anyway, even TWRP asks me for a decription password that I don't have... omg

You should be able to cancel the dialog asking for the password decryption and go directly to wipe.

Yes, while I'm in TWRP, how can I install my ROM? Well... I think that I need to put into phone's internal storage but my PC doesn't show me the unit...

Yes, while I'm in TWRP, how can I install my ROM? Well... I think that I need to put into phone's internal storage but my PC doesn't show me the unit...

Well you should have copied the ROM before flashing TWRP.

Rename the ROM archive into "rom" on your PC and put it inside the minimal ADB folder. Enter fastboot mode again and use this command:

adb push rom.zip /sdcard

Now you can enter TWRP again, wipe, and then flash EU ROM (if you can't enter TWRP, you will have to flash it again and boot it)