Question about Xiaomi 13 ultra CN version "global"

Mr Eps

Members
Aug 5, 2024
Hi everyone, first time poster here and trust me I've searched and while people have made threads similar to this in the past, or danced around this subject... I couldn't find anybody quite in this predicament

Basically, long term Xiaomi user here. Currently on third device since 2019. Wife also uses Xiaomi, we live in Australia. Wife currently has x11ultra, EU ROM on miui 14 from trading shenzhen (no more OTA support) and I don't know how to update it... Also, the screen is now smashed.. and it's already on screen replacement 3.. at this stage of life it's simply not worth repairing plus with the Xiaomi EU ROM, Google pay doesn't work. Which annoys her a lot.

I'm discovering a good option is to upgrade the device to Xiaomi 13 ultra with "global" ROM import from china - this would mean it's a custom global rom, as I understand cn versions of the phone can't take official global ROM ..?

Sorry for the long winded post to this point, you're probably wondering where I'm going, well, this is to be "wife phone" ... I kind of want something reliable and easy to deal with... That actually WORKS without too much stuffing around...

If I get a Xiaomi 13 ultra CN version with global ROM, will Google pay work? Android auto? How are you guys (Xiaomi EU users) going without Google pay in the western hemisphere? Is there a workaround?

Also, this "global rom" that it comes with... Let's say I keep that ROM... How do I ever update the software?

Any help or guidance is much appreciated

If you considered managing the ROM on the X11 Ultra too complicated and unreliable, you may want to focus on a global, unlocked device.

With a CN device with global ROM, Google Pay won't work by default, and I believe you would need to root and install specific modules as a workaround (not sure about Android Auto)

You can also install the Xiaomi.eu ROM, Google Pay should work if you keep the Xiaomi.eu module updated, but it is already the same with X11 Ultra, so...

In both cases, Google can break Google Pay at any time, requiring an update.

I believe the phone should update "normally" with the Global ROM.

For the Xiaomi.eu ROM (including the X11 Ultra), the update process is documented in the ROM thread

By the way, the OTA probably broke because of this
(But you also need to check if your TWRP version match your Android version):

Last edited:
Thanks so much for writing me back... I'm happy to learn how to do the Xiaomi.EU thing it's just finding a comprehensive guide on how to DO it would be much appreciated if that makes sense. So just confirming the EU ROM actually worked around the Google pay thing? Man if it's a workaround now I'm definitely interested in the giving the EU ROM another try..! Is there any negatives these days to the EU ROM? For example, CN ROM has no android auto... Anything that the new EU ROM doesn't have??

If you considered managing the ROM on the X11 Ultra too complicated and unreliable, you may want to focus on a global, unlocked device.

With a CN device with global ROM, Google Pay won't work by default, and I believe you would need to root and install specific modules as a workaround (not sure about Android Auto)

You can also install the Xiaomi.eu ROM, Google Pay should work if you keep the Xiaomi.eu module updated, but it is already the same with X11 Ultra, so...

In both cases, Google can break Google Pay at any time, requiring an update.

I believe the phone should update "normally" with the Global ROM.

For the Xiaomi.eu ROM (including the X11 Ultra), the update process is documented in the ROM thread

By the way, the OTA probably broke because of this
(But you also need to check if your TWRP version match your Android version):

Thanks so much for writing me back... I'm happy to learn how to do the Xiaomi.EU thing it's just finding a comprehensive guide on how to DO it would be much appreciated if that makes sense. So just confirming the EU ROM actually worked around the Google pay thing? Man if it's a workaround now I'm definitely interested in the giving the EU ROM another try..! Is there any negatives these days to the EU ROM? For example, CN ROM has no android auto... Anything that the new EU ROM doesn't have??

No specific issue in mind. As I said, Google Pay require the Xiaomi.eu module updated, and it seems to become harder on the EU team every time.

There are many resources available, including the first post of the ROM thread I linked before.

You also have the Xiaomi 13 series install thread (focused on fastboot install) and the FAQ.

But something that would cover every single question at once, it would probably take many pages and nobody would be able to use it.

No specific issue in mind. As I said, Google Pay require the Xiaomi.eu module updated, and it seems to become harder on the EU team every time.

There are many resources available, including the first post of the ROM thread I linked before.

You also have the Xiaomi 13 series install thread (focused on fastboot install) and the FAQ.

But something that would cover every single question at once, it would probably take many pages and nobody would be able to use it.
Okay so I have a really annoying question to ask... If I get this phone, with the custom "fake" global ROM...and use this said phone for several months, taking photos videos etc etc... Then after several months, I decide to swap to EU ROM.... Can I do so without losing photos and videos etc?

No way.
if you will install xiaomi.eu ROM "Format Data" is required (all user data will be deleted and data partition will be formatted).
It is therefore necessary to back up your files, for example to a PC.

Reactions: JiaiJ
No way.
if you will install xiaomi.eu ROM "Format Data" is required (all user data will be deleted and data partition will be formatted).
It is therefore necessary to back up your files, for example to a PC.
Yeah that's easy enough to do.. :)