Redmi 3s Hard Brick

Sep 2, 2016
Hi forum members,

I ask your help for the following:
My Redmi 3S got (hard-)bricked. I will tell the background and the actual status.
1. Ordered and received the Redmi from the European store of Honorbuy.com. (Took only three days!)
2. OS was MALMIDE (Global ROM) but without locale and language for West European countries, especially without Netherlands (Dutch) language.
3. Therefore applied with Xiaomi for Unlock bootloader approval and received this very quickly (4 days).
4. The plan was to install ROM from xiaomi.eu with settings for European countries.
5. Unlock procedure did not work; the 50% and "could not verify device current account is different from account info" appeared every time.
6. Therefore decided to look for other procedures to install other ROM's
7. Found useful info on xiaomtricks.com website.
8. Installed all the required programs and drivers (adb, Qualcomm and Miflash), and ROM (land_global_images_6.9.8_20160805.0000.29_6.0_global)
9. Redmi was recognized by adb devices, managed to go into edl mode. Was also recognized in Devices as Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 900E (COM3).
10. Started XiaomiMiflash, selected the ROM and started the flash procedure.
11. After one minute process stopped, with report that there was not enough storage available.
12. Unplugged the Redmi 3S. (and this was maybe a stupid move!)
13. Since then the Redmi was totally bricked, with for a while a red loading LED. Using the power and/or vol+/vol- buttons did not work. I consider the phone still to be in edl mode. Screen totally black, not even a MUI logo.
14. Redmi 3S is still visible in Devices, with the same info as mentioned under 9.
15. Redmi 3S is not visible in cmd.exe, nor under adb, nor under fastboot.
16, Searched for and found many hard unbrick procedures that gave the same kind of information, such as in Xiaomitips.com and various youtube video's.
17. Followed these advices, but in Miflash the phone was never recognized, after hitting "Refresh".
!8. Tried all variations in unbricking recommendations, even used deep flash procedure. This worked, but my Redmi was already seen in Devices, so nothing did change.
19. Well, there I am! So far the only solution is to send the phone to the service center of Honorbuy.com. But I am hoping for someone in this forum with the brilliant solution, before sending it to the service center.

Last edited:
I know this doesn't help with your current problem, but there's a simple reason, why unlocking with MiFlashUnlocker gets stuck at 50%: you'll have to enter your MIUI account details in settings app before starting the unlock process. This is explicitly written in the unlocking FAQ.

Did you try pushing the power button for a very long time while not connected to a PC? The device should power down and reboot immediately (so did one of mine which got stuck when using a MicroSD in 8.0.6 global stable)?

@MarkyO
Thanks for the advice re unlock procedure. I will certainly bear this in mind, once my phone is unbricked.
I have tried all possible combinations of pushing the Power, Vol+ and Vol- buttons for each more than a minute, but without results.

Hi

Have you tried the solution provided here :

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...-edl-no-fastboot-no-logo-no-led-solved.34113/
You have to open the phone but the OP has managed to revive is phone.
Worth a try if you don't want to send it to service (ie, you bought your phone in China like me...)
@manzing: Thank you eternally for pointing out the above thread.
It worked! Well, I still have a problem with the correct ROM, but the the Redmi 3S is now recognized as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008, and therefore in EDL mode, and Miflash detects the phone correctly.
No need to send to service anymore!

I didn't think you were willing to open the phone as it's still under warranty. Keep in mind what I said about unlocking the bootloader...

We can close this thread. I have sent the phone to the European Warehouse service centre, and by return mail I received a fully unbricked phone back.