[RN8] Problems with TWRP recovery

dexterv

Members
Jul 22, 2020
I need some advice and or possibly an explanation on what I did wrong and if possibly some solution. I had some errors in TWRP after the latest weekly (20.12.09) installation (Cannot read.., Operation not permitted) but the decryption was working as usual -in Official TWRP 3.4.0-1. I decided to format data and install the ROM a new.
Installed, set up and restored data, but when I went to TWRP to check if the errors are gone it did not ask me for a decryption key and data is encrypted. Tried manually entering the pin number but it says decryption failed.
The ROM is still working I am accessing it fine with the PIN, I tried changing to pattern, tried formatting data again with the same results TWRP doesn't ask for decryption. And the errors are still there.
Any suggestions on how to handle it?
Thank you in advance.

Same problem. I also can't install any custom kernel and I guess it's related to this issue. I tried different recoveries and no luck. I hope someone will help us.

Same problem . I tried fastboot to flash the latest version of recovery, but this problem still exists.

Last edited:
Same problem . I tried fastboot to flash the latest version of recovery, but this problem still exists. I tried the official Chinese version and everything is normal. It seems to be a problem with the xiaomi.eu version.
Can you send the link of the official chinese twrp?

Reactions: dexterv
I need some advice and or possibly an explanation on what I did wrong and if possibly some solution. I had some errors in TWRP after the latest weekly (20.12.09) installation (Cannot read.., Operation not permitted) but the decryption was working as usual -in Official TWRP 3.4.0-1. I decided to format data and install the ROM a new.
Installed, set up and restored data, but when I went to TWRP to check if the errors are gone it did not ask me for a decryption key and data is encrypted. Tried manually entering the pin number but it says decryption failed.
The ROM is still working I am accessing it fine with the PIN, I tried changing to pattern, tried formatting data again with the same results TWRP doesn't ask for decryption. And the errors are still there.
Any suggestions on how to handle it?
Thank you in advance.
I had me too. I had to format the date and reinstall the firmware. But all the same, the phone slows down and everything is buggy. Not strong, but tangible

From what I can tell, IF you flash the latest eu ROM (20.12.09) decryption in TWRP works...partially but the "format data" command does not work. AT ALL. The only way to make it work is flash a previous ROM first, then do a format data (possibly a 'fastboot erase userdata' as well). Reason is unknown at the moment.

Moreover, the ONLY way I see for someone to rollback to a previous ROM (other than 20.12.09) successfully, is to flash it, then format data (it should now work), then restore /data partition from a nandroid taken prior to flashing the 20.12.09, then possibly re-flashing the ROM again (if system doesn't boot to MIUI).

FYI flashing the latest China ROM (20.12.09) produces the exact same results when it comes to TWRP decryption, meaning the issue is not eu related. Xiaomi clearly did *something* that prevents TWRP from locating the device user keys (usually located in data/misc/...), which is also the reason that TWRP does not ask for a password/PIN after flashing the latest ROM and supposedly formatting data, regardless if you have specified one in MIUI or not. It simply cannot tell if the device is locked or not and whether it should use a key to decrypt the data. Like I said, no one knows why Xiaomi did this. It could be that they are preparing the device for the Android 11 transition or it could be a bug. It's anyone's guess right now.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, IF you flash the latest eu ROM (20.12.09) decryption in TWRP works...partially but the "format data" command does not work. AT ALL. The only way to make it work is flash a previous ROM first, then do a format data (possibly a 'fastboot erase userdata' as well). Reason is unknown at the moment.

Moreover, the ONLY way I see for someone to rollback to a previous ROM (other than 20.12.09) successfully, is to flash it, then format data (it should now work), then restore /data partition from a nandroid taken prior to flashing the 20.12.09, then possibly re-flashing the ROM again (if system doesn't boot to MIUI).

FYI flashing the latest China ROM (20.12.09) produces the exact same results when it comes to TWRP decryption, meaning the issue is not eu related. Xiaomi clearly did *something* that prevents TWRP from locating the device user keys (usually located in data/misc/...), which is also the reason that TWRP does not ask for a password/PIN after flashing the latest ROM and supposedly formatting data, regardless if you have specified one in MIUI or not. It simply cannot tell if the device is locked or not and whether it should use a key to decrypt the data. Like I said, no one knows why Xiaomi did this. It could be that they are preparing the device for the Android 11 transition or it could be a bug. It's anyone's guess right now.
Thank you for the information. I thought I messed something up and tried everything but to no good. The phone is working fine on this ROM and it will be OK to use as it is until A11 comes out. Hopefully we will know what to do then. While formatting and restoring I found out that Google backup doesn't work when you have lock enabled, not sure if related.

Same problem here as well with OrangeFox recovery (not surprising since they have the same code base). Can anyone confirm that this issue is device-specific? If not, then Xiaomi is forcing us to bid farewell to MIUI. As a sidenote, as another user has mentioned, performance is not all that great on MIUI 12. It looks like Xiaomi has priotised fancy and taxing animations to the detriment of fluidity and longevity on weaker devices like the RN8.

Same problem here as well with OrangeFox recovery (not surprising since they have the same code base). Can anyone confirm that this issue is device-specific? If not, then Xiaomi is forcing us to bid farewell to MIUI. As a sidenote, as another user has mentioned, performance is not all that great on MIUI 12. It looks like Xiaomi has priotised fancy and taxing animations to the detriment of fluidity and longevity on weaker devices like the RN8.
It also happened to violet, so it's not device specific

The performance on my RN8 is great, very smooth. But I also tried Orange Fox with the same results.

It also happened to violet, so it's not device specific
That actually is bad news since someone suggested that the change was due to the migration to A11 and if I am not mistaken violet is not going to be upgraded... So they might have messed something up by mistake or they will be upgrading violet as well.

Mystery solved. The issue with the TWRP on the latest ROM for ginkgo occured due to changes in the boot image. This is also the reason that flashing to a previous ROM (which would obviously write a new boot image) would automatically correct the issue. Xiaomi, in their not so infinite wisdom, saw fit to implement changes in the kernel so that the recovery would not be able to read the decryption keys, at least not without recompiling the kernel. The problem was investigated and fixed over @Xiaomi-miui.gr.

You can try flashing this TWRP: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ma34dbgir2hbnvi/twrp_ginkgo-willow_3.4A9_23-12-2020_BL.img/file

It should work for ROM 20.12.09 (and only this ROM for now).

Hello,

Can someone update the recovery of LR TEAM for begonia?

For QGGEUXM 12.0.3.0 update :

thank you in advance

LR Team didn't release an update for the begonia TWRP. The one you mentioned above, is the latest TWRP.

is there a TWRP mod for violet too? i just updated from 20.10.30 to latest 20.12.28 and my recovery doesn't ask the key to decrypt data, so no file is accessible

update kernel and blobs,
Thanks very much. But when you say "update kernel", is there anything specific that needs to be enabled (or disabled) in the kernel sources, or just update with MIUI prebuilt kernel?

Many Xiaomi devices suffer from this problem, and it would be great if twrp can easily be updated for all these devices. Thanks,

Mystery solved. The issue with the TWRP on the latest ROM for ginkgo occured due to changes in the boot image. This is also the reason that flashing to a previous ROM (which would obviously write a new boot image) would automatically correct the issue. Xiaomi, in their not so infinite wisdom, saw fit to implement changes in the kernel so that the recovery would not be able to read the decryption keys, at least not without recompiling the kernel. The problem was investigated and fixed over @Xiaomi-miui.gr.

You can try flashing this TWRP: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ma34dbgir2hbnvi/twrp_ginkgo-willow_3.4A9_23-12-2020_BL.img/file

It should work for ROM 20.12.09 (and only this ROM for now).
you are a ****in god, thanks man

Reactions: sheriff80