In Progress SGS2 Systemui constant FC's 2.3.30

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by ktoonsez, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    I have been fighting this bug for the last 2 weeks now and hopefully someone can figure this out. Basically we get a message that says "Unfortunately , SystemUI has stopped". Here is the logcat:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?6ebb9dfv727ga2w

Thanks

2. MarkHUK

MarkHUKFounder & Sys Op
    Staff Member

Looks like you flashed the ROM without clearing caches and data.

3. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    Nope, cleared cache, data, dalvik, and format /system for good measure.

4. MarkHUK

MarkHUKFounder & Sys Op
    Staff Member

Very strange, our beta users dont have this issue. Are you doing anything after flashing the ROM? any backups etc?

5. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    No, some people even get it as soon as it boots up and I have seen it myself too. I dont have to install anything to get it and other times it takes a few hours to get one after I turn on wifi or bluetooth or make a call.

6. MarkHUK

MarkHUKFounder & Sys Op
    Staff Member

As I said, not a bug we've encountered in testing./

7. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    Did you look at the logcat? I can't seem to trace it down as the error always leads off as saying "Exceptions are not yet supported across processes".

8. Pele

PeleGuest

try t oflash it again clear dalvik and cache partition and then flash the rom

Regards

9. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    Thanks for the reply, we have all tried that too. Just about every combo you can think of. If you you look at the logcat file it appears that inside the function "updateTelephonySignalStrength" at line 494 is the culprit, it is trying to adjust the signal strength and going beyond the length. Here is a snipit of the logcat:

E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: length=5; index=5
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.NetworkController.updateTelephonySignalStrength(NetworkController.java:494)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.NetworkController.access$000(NetworkController.java:61)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.NetworkController$1.onSignalStrengthsChanged(NetworkController.java:357)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at android.telephony.PhoneStateListener$2.handleMessage(PhoneStateListener.java:358)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4507)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:790)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:557)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 6863): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

10. MarkHUK

MarkHUKFounder & Sys Op
    Staff Member

will pass this on to the developers of the SGS2

11. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    Thank you.

12. MarkHUK

MarkHUKFounder & Sys Op
    Staff Member

Weird it isnt happening to everyone though.

13. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    I know, cell boosters seem to be triggering it for most people. I have been trying to change the code to check for the screnerio when it trys to go beyond the array length but having no luck.

14. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    Just wanted to pass on an update:
    I ended up modifying com/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/TelephonyIcons.smali and com/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/AccessibilityContentDescriptions.smali in the MiuiSystemUI.apk to enlarge the arrays in those files so it would not crash, seems to be working so far. Hopefully the MIUI dev's can implement that in the right way for next week.

Rocky Gidz likes this.
  15. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    @MarkHUK
    Any word on if this will make it into this weeks update?

16. Pele

PeleGuest

wait and see if it fixes.

17. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    No luck, problem still exists.

18. MarkHUK

MarkHUKFounder & Sys Op
    Staff Member

If you can provide the smali edits and what changed i will implement your fix.

19. ktoonsez

ktoonsezMembers

Mar 30, 2012
    Male
    I dont mind doing it since you guys have so many ROM's to maintain but any way. I have attached a link to the files I replace every week. The files are in /com/android/systemui/statusbar/policy directory after a baksmali of SystemUI.apk. Basically I expand the the arrays by 1 to accomadate the return of the 6th element (index 5). If you do a diff between the stock and mine you will see that a few constants are changed and add an array element to all arrays that duplicates the 5th element. Again as I said I know you guys always have your hands full and I dont mind doing it if you guys need to be on more important things.

Here is link to the 2 files I change:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?80acnh33scq4ls4

Share Our Site