so... whats new in v5?

Just for worst case scenarios...

Should people find themselves unable to rescue their systems, just use a PC and fastboot mode to flash a new system onto it, that usually works in all those "everything's screwed" situations.

That's the first thing I thought of. I just didn't know if I should just download the rom, rename it to update.zip and then flash using "fastboot flash update.zip". Would that work?
My phone is running fine though, just wondering.

I don't know about you but I normally unpack the update.zip and flash each partition manually from a dd dump / fastboot flash ROM.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

a few off the top of my head:

1.Private sms that you can password protect asccess to(in sms app press menu -> private messages)
2. Live icons. Icons for weather,calendar and Network monitor change based on status.(IE:calendar icon shows dat,network monitor shows % used...)

Apart from that a whole redesign of the UI which i think is pretty cool...

Well, as you said, I thought the calendar date would change in Icon? Looks like it is not. Yesterday was 2nd of March - so, the Calendar Icon was showing " 2" - today it is 3rd March - Should it change to "3" or not?

Confused...or did I understand wrongly?:confused:

Well, as you said, I thought the calendar date would change in Icon? Looks like it is not. Yesterday was 2nd of March - so, the Calendar Icon was showing " 2" - today it is 3rd March - Should it change to "3" or not?

Confused...or did I understand wrongly?:confused:
yeah... its like iPhone calendar.. :)

today is the second where i'm at and the icon says 02....will see tomorrow i suppose....

So far V5 is working great.. I flashed the Roboto Slim font over it and now it looks much better. Not a big fan of gigantic fonts.. The calendar icon works, but I'm currently using static icons anyway.

"so... whats new in v5?" - did Xiaomi make changes in the icon system? There seem to be a set of default V5-styled icons in /system/media/theme/miui_mod_icons (squared icon pictures, 136x136) and a set of masks for borders amd frames in /system/media/theme/icons.

If we add some new icons to /system/media/theme/miui_mod_icons those icons will be used and V5 applies the masks for rounded corners and frames befor displaying it. Works fine, running MIUIAndroid 3.3.1 with full Project Vexilium iconset and matching V5 borders/corners right now.

I've manually put together the stock JB font (Roboto Slim) for those who can't stand the huge stock V5 font. It's uploaded here:
http://d-h.st/LDN

It's .mtz format.. just update the theme when it prompts you to, then go to Mix>Font and select it.

Reactions: Baski