so... whats new in v5?

Tomalony

Members
Jan 31, 2013
The changelog is a bit disappointIng.. haven't seen anything exciting. Where is the "amazing new features "that everybody talked about.

Reactions: tamil18
For me it lags when I open a folder in the homescreen (you know, those folders with apps in it). I like the way everything looks, but the ROM seems to be less snappy and lags more.

a few off the top of my head:

1.Private sms that you can password protect asccess to(in sms app press menu -> private messages)
2. Live icons. Icons for weather,calendar and Network monitor change based on status.(IE:calendar icon shows dat,network monitor shows % used...)

Apart from that a whole redesign of the UI which i think is pretty cool...

I do like that the rom looks a lot more polished. The font however, is ******* annoying and huge. I'm not blind, I don't need 200px titles for the buttons in my statusbar. Installing a new font seems impossible, or the fonts are even more odd (black text with blach shadow etc)... Also, I don't like how the bottom of your statusbar (the "grip" thing you slide down) is rounded too. It often leaves white corners on the bottom and it looks unfinished. I also really don't like the "overscroll" animation. It looks sloppy compared to the clean previous one.

Some other things are nice though. The area where you enter your PIN looks cool and some other things look pretty cool. Also, the notification area is black now, awesome!

Also, the email client tends to crash a lot here too.

EDIT: Found a nice font, that does take away a lot of my frustration. "Redarked" looks slightly smaller :)

I do like that the rom looks a lot more polished. The font however, is ******* annoying and huge. I'm not blind, I don't need 200px titles for the buttons in my statusbar. Installing a new font seems impossible, or the fonts are even more odd (black text with blach shadow etc)... Also, I don't like how the bottom of your statusbar (the "grip" thing you slide down) is rounded too. It often leaves white corners on the bottom and it looks unfinished. I also really don't like the "overscroll" animation. It looks sloppy compared to the clean previous one.

Some other things are nice though. The area where you enter your PIN looks cool and some other things look pretty cool. Also, the notification area is black now, awesome!

Also, the email client tends to crash a lot here too.

EDIT: Found a nice font, that does take away a lot of my frustration. "Redarked" looks slightly smaller :)
Can u share font link?

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

For me it lags when I open a folder in the homescreen (you know, those folders with apps in it). I like the way everything looks, but the ROM seems to be less snappy and lags more.
AGREE! 100% Email also crashes all the time. My emails wont sync unless i do it manualy..

The font however, is ******* annoying and huge. I'm not blind, I don't need 200px titles for the buttons in my statusbar. Installing a new font seems impossible, or the fonts are even more odd (black text with blach shadow etc)...
Another way to replace that new font is
A) Replace the Miui-Regular.ttf and Miui-Bold.ttf in /system/fonts with renamed Roboto-Regular.ttf and Roboto-Bold.ttf OR
B) edit the following part of /system/etc/system_fonts.xml to match the font you want to use (did that before flashing, works fine):
Code:
    <family>
        <nameset>
            <name>miui</name>
        </nameset>
        <fileset>
            <file>Miui-Regular.ttf</file>
            <file>Miui-Bold.ttf</file>
        </fileset>
    </family>
Roboto gave me a more consistent look throughout the system and installed apps, much better spacing (e.g. in the Clock app tabs), Umlauts and much nicer font size and width.

A) Replace the Miui-Regular.ttf and Miui-Bold.ttf in /system/fonts with renamed Roboto-Regular.ttf and Roboto-Bold.ttf OR
B) edit the following part of /system/etc/system_fonts.xml to match the font you want to use (did that before flashing, works fine):
Code:
    <family>
        <nameset>
            <name>miui</name>
        </nameset>
        <fileset>
        </fileset>
    </family>
Roboto gave me a more consistent look throughout the system and installed apps, much better spacing (e.g. in the Clock app tabs), Umlauts and much nicer font size and width.
Thanks for the info, we will get this sorted out in our Build. I dont expect MIUI China to give damn about international support.

Reactions: Acid
Code:
    <family>
        <nameset>
            <name>miui</name>
        </nameset>
        <fileset>
        </fileset>
    </family>

Well, f**k. I did the B option and now I can't get past the MIUI bootscreen. What do I do now? :/
I can get to recovery but there's no way to put an update.zip on my phone because I can't access it... I'm in deep trouble :c

Reboot to recovery (turn off your phone and use volume down + power) and just install normal miuiandroid rom. Or reboot to other System.
And for future: dont try to fix thing for yourself if you dont know what you are doing. Leave those cases for devs and wait for working fixes.

Reboot to recovery (turn off your phone and use volume down + power) and just install normal miuiandroid rom. Or reboot to other System.
And for future: dont try to fix thing for yourself if you dont know what you are doing. Leave those cases for devs and wait for working fixes.

I know, that's what I wanted to do. The problem though, I don't have the miuiandroid file on my phone, and I can't put it on there because, well, you can't access the files on your phone.
I'm installing the android drivers now so I can push the file over to my device using fastboot.

I'm not completely clueless about android devices, I've fiddled arround with my old phone a lot, I do know what I'm doing. I simply edited the XML file for the new font and I guess it can't find the font thus it doesn't boot.

Can I just push the .zip to my phone and install it?

So why cant you just reboot to working system and connect to USB? MI-2 has System 1 and System 2. If you break one system, you can still access to other.

So why cant you just reboot to working system and connect to USB? MI-2 has System 1 and System 2. If you break one system, you can still access to other.
I always installed the ROM's using update.zip on system one, what's now on System 2 is an old V4 rom.
I managed to boot into the ROM, but all apps are broken, and USB is not working either... And now I get a popup "Your device has been locked" because there's "no SIM card" etc etc...

What is your advice? Fastboot flash update.zip? Or MiFlash?

V5 transforms all existing sqlite tables to a newer version, so booting back to the old version force closes pretty much every app.

V5 transforms all existing sqlite tables to a newer version, so booting back to the old version force closes pretty much every app.
Yeah I know, that's why I said that wouldn't be an option.
With a lot of hassle, I managed to get USB to work in the broken v4 ROM. I guess I'll be able to manage and copy the update.zip over and flash it again. Phew :)

I always installed the ROM's using update.zip on system one, what's now on System 2 is an old V4 rom.
I managed to boot into the ROM, but all apps are broken, and USB is not working either... And now I get a popup "Your device has been locked" because there's "no SIM card" etc etc...

What is your advice? Fastboot flash update.zip? Or MiFlash?
Im not sure what will work for you. As Mi Recovery doesnt have adb working, so you will not be able to use adb push method to send update rom into memory.
But.. maybe you will have working adb connection on second system, usb might not be working but adb could...

Im not sure what will work for you. As Mi Recovery doesnt have adb working, so you will not be able to use adb push method to send update rom into memory.
But.. maybe you will have working adb connection on second system, usb might not be working but adb could...

Thanks a lot for the help and the fast replies. The ROM crashed a few times and after switching rapidly from pictures to files mode, suddenly the device appeared on my PC. I copied over the .zip, installed it and it booted properly this time.

Sorry for my idiocy :p

Just for worst case scenarios...

Should people find themselves unable to rescue their systems, just use a PC and fastboot mode to flash a new system onto it, that usually works in all those "everything's screwed" situations.