New Split Screen: Unable to swap top and bottom

ShocWave

Members
Feb 4, 2019
I'm using the Redmi 6 Pro, and there was a bug that was introduced in the first Android Pie stable build a few months ago.
I was hoping the next build will fix it, but it's still present in the most recent stable build that just came out today.

When running two apps in split screen, I should be able to double tap the black bar in the middle to swap the top and bottom halfs of the display.
When I do this, the entire screen flashes as if it was trying to do something, but nothing happens.
If I repeatedly tap the black bar very fast for about 5-10 seconds, after the screen flashes a few times, the top all will crash if it's a full screen game such as Pokemon Go. Only the app at the top will crash, while the bottom app continues to run.

Many games put UI buttons at the bottom of the screen, so I often end up touching the black bar by accident, causing the games to crash.
This was never an issue prior to Android Pie.

See the attached image to see what I'm referring to.

not a problem on Mi Note 3
Mi Note 3 is only on Android 8.1 on the stable ROM build, so it should not have any problems.
The stable build is not running Android Pie. This is a problem with Android 9.0.

Have you tried using the weekly build for Mi Note 3 which is on Android Pie?

I'm using the Redmi 6 Pro, and there was a bug that was introduced in the first Android Pie stable build a few months ago.
I was hoping the next build will fix it, but it's still present in the most recent stable build that just came out today.

When running two apps in split screen, I should be able to double tap the black bar in the middle to swap the top and bottom halfs of the display.
When I do this, the entire screen flashes as if it was trying to do something, but nothing happens.
If I repeatedly tap the black bar very fast for about 5-10 seconds, after the screen flashes a few times, the top all will crash if it's a full screen game such as Pokemon Go. Only the app at the top will crash, while the bottom app continues to run.

Many games put UI buttons at the bottom of the screen, so I often end up touching the black bar by accident, causing the games to crash.
This was never an issue prior to Android Pie.

See the attached image to see what I'm referring to.

View attachment 25080
Not a bug, it designed to work like this on pie systems

Sent from my MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Not a bug, it designed to work like this on pie systems

I can live with the fact, if not being able to swap top and bottom is the intended behavior of Pie.

But why does the screen flash when the bar is tapped on, and why do repeated taps cause apps to crash with a black screen?
Tapping the bar in the middle should do "nothing", rather than making the phone seem like it's trying to do something, and struggling.
I will create a video when I get home to show what I'm talking about.

I meant swapping option removed officially since pie update

I meant swapping option removed officially since pie update

I don't mind that, it's main the crashing that bothers me though.
It's cost me a few battles in games when I accidentally touch the middle.

Mi Note 3 is only on Android 8.1 on the stable ROM build, so it should not have any problems.
The stable build is not running Android Pie. This is a problem with Android 9.0.

Have you tried using the weekly build for Mi Note 3 which is on Android Pie?

It worked on my Mi Note 3, with the latest weekly ROM 9.6.13 (and of course Android Pie) last week, as it had worked before. Now, with the ROM of this week (9.6.20), it doesn't.

I have this split screen problem too on my Mi Max 3 after it got updated to Android 9. Every Xiaomi phone with Miui and Android 9 is affected by that bug. Will this be fixed? I do not have the problem with my Redmi 5 who is only on Android 8.1.

Are Xiaomi doing anything to try to resolve this? Fairly big bug to a lot of people. Redmi 6 and as soon as I upgraded to 9.0, both screens keep crashing when I accidentally tap anywhere near the switch bar.

Are Xiaomi doing anything to try to resolve this? Fairly big bug to a lot of people. Redmi 6 and as soon as I upgraded to 9.0, both screens keep crashing when I accidentally tap anywhere near the switch bar.

Nothing is being done. This issue is completely ignored.
I can only hope Android 10 fixes it.

Nothing is being done. This issue is completely ignored.
I can only hope Android 10 fixes it.

Just as well I hadn't bought a higher end model Xiaomi yet. Makes the unique feature of Xiaomi pretty much redundant now. Thank you. Do you know if you can revert to android 8 alternatively (without rooting)?

I don't think so, Mi Max 3 has anti-roll back protection. You might brick your phone.