Updates and root

Leon94

Members
Oct 7, 2019
Hi guys,

a few months ago I bought a Mi 9 SE based on chinese rom with bootloader unlocked and global rom stable version flashed by the company of seller.
I prefered the xiaomi.eu rom than natives and for this reason I chosed to change and flash his beta version following the advise of this post https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/encrypted-phone-question.50456/#post-486343 because also my smatphone was encrypted: in TWRP recovery mode I formatted data, flashed the Xiomi.eu MIUI 11 rom + Magisk v.17.1 root and wiped cache & dalwik cache.
When I rebooted the system of phone I had to set the initial settings like as to the first power on. Until today I didn't have any problem and everything worked perfectly, rom and root. The only thing I couldn't do was fix the SafetyNet from Magisk Manager v.5.9.1 to update Magisk v.17.1 at v.20.0 although the app asked me to update itself v.5.9.1 at v.7.3.5 incompatible with Magisk v.17.1.
Therefore I waited for the OTA update to uninstall the present version and flash the last version of Magisk.

Now I updated the MIUI 11 at v.9.10.17 through the Updater app (automatic dirty flash?) so I've accidentally lost the root of Magisk and I cannot reflash it because in TWPR recovery mode my "sdcard" folder's files are obviusely encrypted.

What do you reccomend me to do? I don't want lose my apps, settings, accounts, multimedias, chats and contacts.
I may to backup data in TWRP recovery mode, then format data in wipe window so as to remove the encryption, flash Magisk root and finally restore data. Anyway I don't know if this method can work.

Q.1 In TWRP recovery mode, the backup window suggests to tick "Data (excl. storage)" and "Boot" while "Cache", "System", "System Image", "dtbo", "Recovery", "Vendor", "Vendor Image", "Firmware", "Persist", "Persist_backup", "bluetooth", "dsp", "cust", "logfs", "splash", "logo", "tz", "fsg", "EFS", "abl", "xbl", "msadp", "apdp", "cmnlib64", "cmnlib", "keymaster", "hyp" and "devcfg" are not, which partitions I have to select?

Q.2 Maybe the file to restore will be anyhow a package encrypted, should this cause problems?

Q.3 When I am going to flash magisk root I will have to launch directly the v.20.0 or the v.17.1 again, either firstly the most recent uninstaller then a version between there, otherwise in order the v.17.1 before and the v.20.0 after?

Q.4 What happens to the not overwritten root files subsequently at the updates? I ignore what is their partition.

I apologize for my bad English

Hi guys,

a few months ago I bought a Mi 9 SE based on chinese rom with bootloader unlocked and global rom stable version flashed by the company of seller.
I prefered the xiaomi.eu rom than natives and for this reason I chosed to change and flash his beta version following the advise of this post https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/encrypted-phone-question.50456/#post-486343 because also my smatphone was encrypted: in TWRP recovery mode I formatted data, flashed the Xiomi.eu MIUI 11 rom + Magisk v.17.1 root and wiped cache & dalwik cache.
When I rebooted the system of phone I had to set the initial settings like as to the first power on. Until today I didn't have any problem and everything worked perfectly, rom and root. The only thing I couldn't do was fix the SafetyNet from Magisk Manager v.5.9.1 to update Magisk v.17.1 at v.20.0 although the app asked me to update itself v.5.9.1 at v.7.3.5 incompatible with Magisk v.17.1.
Therefore I waited for the OTA update to uninstall the present version and flash the last version of Magisk.

Now I updated the MIUI 11 at v.9.10.17 through the Updater app (automatic dirty flash?) so I've accidentally lost the root of Magisk and I cannot reflash it because in TWPR recovery mode my "sdcard" folder's files are obviusely encrypted.

What do you reccomend me to do? I don't want lose my apps, settings, accounts, multimedias, chats and contacts.
I may to backup data in TWRP recovery mode, then format data in wipe window so as to remove the encryption, flash Magisk root and finally restore data. Anyway I don't know if this method can work.

Q.1 In TWRP recovery mode, the backup window suggests to tick "Data (excl. storage)" and "Boot" while "Cache", "System", "System Image", "dtbo", "Recovery", "Vendor", "Vendor Image", "Firmware", "Persist", "Persist_backup", "bluetooth", "dsp", "cust", "logfs", "splash", "logo", "tz", "fsg", "EFS", "abl", "xbl", "msadp", "apdp", "cmnlib64", "cmnlib", "keymaster", "hyp" and "devcfg" are not, which partitions I have to select?

Q.2 Maybe the file to restore will be anyhow a package encrypted, should this cause problems?

Q.3 When I am going to flash magisk root I will have to launch directly the v.20.0 or the v.17.1 again, either firstly the most recent uninstaller then a version between there, otherwise in order the v.17.1 before and the v.20.0 after?

Q.4 What happens to the not overwritten root files subsequently at the updates? I ignore what is their partition.

I apologize for my bad English

Hi,

this should be easy to fix, if you have a pc with adb installed on it. Once this is setup, you have to push the flashable magisk zip on a non-encrypted folder:

- connect phone to pc
- reboot your phone into twrp
- on pc open command line or terminal
- then push magisk by typing: adb push "your_magisk_v20_zip" /tmp/
- in twrp -> install -> navigate into /tmp and choose the your_magisk_v20_zip and flash

That should be it. Now your phone is rooted.

Q1. Don't touch anything and you are good. Default settings are fine.
Q2. No idea.
Q3. Flash directly v20 - if something won't work as expected, you can still use the uninstaller (same procedure as above)
Q4. No idea.

cheers