V9 7.12.21 And Chrome Problems

_Sal_

Members
Oct 20, 2016
Chrome does not save to desktop anymore. It gives no error, but it does not save to desktop a shortcut to the website like it usually did. Does anyone have the same problem? Could it be that maybe it saves the shortcut in a separate virtual space?

Last edited:
I had this problem in a custom build of LineageOS Oreo 15.1 and somebody wrote me on a forum that it's an Oreo specific issue, that Google made some changes to its API and adding shortcuts to home screen became harder. I tested on Nova Launcher and it didn't work.
But I really don't understand why you experience it in Nougat.

Look at this workaround, maybe it helps you:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidPreviews/comments/6cfsvm/chrome_add_to_home_screen_not_working/
Nope not working ☹️

Last update: today I've installed an unofficial LineageOS 15.1 Oreo on my Mi4C and Chrome is capable of adding home screen shortcuts! The menu option is there. I'm using Nova Launcher, as always. Chrome was installed from Store, version 63.0.3239.111. I see that apkmirror hosts a newer version, 64.0.3282.123.
So, I don't know what to say more :(
I think it's a miui problem. My son has a Redmi 4x and his chrome works as it should. That's why I was asking if someone with my same installation has this problem. I want to be sure that it's not depending on my setup.

I get it. Anyway, I'm sorry but I can't help you further, I don't use MIUI ROMs, no matter what build and country they are.

But I can't imagine why no xiaomi.eu ROM users are willingly to answer your issue, I can't believe you are the only one experiencing this problem. Or, at least, the only one affected.
I found the problem! Today, I had a play store update of google chrome. I updated the App and ran it trying to save a website on desktop. Then MIUI asked me the permission to "Add to home screen". I accepted it and saw the link on the phones screen. So I think it was because chrome didn't have the permission set and that it didn't trigger MIUI to ask for them.

Reactions: cris2d2